Exclusive photos from the Apple Store Fifth Ave

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Not to mention the incalculable loss of iPod accessories!

lol Of course they were the most important part of the store lost in the crash how could I forget it!? Stupid me.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I guess Apple cant throw stones any more; living in a glass house and all!

I'll be here all week! tip your waitress.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    On a more serious note, I think the design of the cube is effective because it is reminiscent of some of the design proposals for the "Freedom Tower" and the memorial site proposals for the WTC in NY. Like a ghostly building rising from an open excavation site from the earth. An interesting concept.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

And the truck falls down a level into the store onto it's side, killing all 96 geniuses at the genius bar. Two of the robber died in the crash while one remains in intensive care in a coma after having recived an extsensive blood transfusion and the amputation of the leg that got trapped between the seat and the door on the side that has resting on the floor.

If he ever recovers prosecutors are expected to charge him up to his maxium sentance for the crime as well as the reckless endangerment and murder of 96 people....

nice...very nice

shmuck
  • Reply 25 of 43
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

I think in the pictures I saw bollards surrounding the cube. Those might stop a truck, or a runaway baby carriage at least...

You mean those 8" high stainless steel cylinders around the cube? Maybe - but they aren't high enough. However, there are automatic bollards that use a magnetic sensor. When an approaching vehicle is detected they quickly shoot upwards and block the path. At first I thought those short cylinders weere lighting, but now I'm not sure.

Automatic Bollards: That would be a very Apple thing to have, but would they be made of glass?
  • Reply 26 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

You mean those 8" high stainless steel cylinders around the cube? Maybe - but they aren't high enough. However, there are automatic bollards that use a magnetic sensor. When an approaching vehicle is detected they quickly shoot upwards and block the path. At first I thought those short cylinders weere lighting, but now I'm not sure.

Automatic Bollards: That would be a very Apple thing to have, but would they be made of glass?

Very dangerous...imagine the lawsuit, some guy is just standing outside the cube and these things raise up... right under him, and if they raise up FAST, that ould be insainmly painfull...

8 inches is fine...it is higher than any curb and would stop any vehicle that could access the plaza in the first place (I assume BigFoot cant drive the streets of manhatten, although, if this store ever closes, it would be one hell of a cool stunt, ramp the truck through the cube)
  • Reply 27 of 43
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

8 inches is fine...it is higher than any curb and would stop any vehicle that could access the plaza in the first place

8" is not enough - hell my Outback has 7.5" clearance! Almost any large truck or decent sized SUV could clear 8". Bollards take 2-3 second to rise. Here is a video: http://www.atgaccess.com/Automatic_R...d_System01.wmv

I guess all of this begs the question - why would anyone want to drive a truck through the glass and then fall into a two story hole? Makes no sense. Accidental maybe, but on purpose? Pointless.

Unless the plaza is raised up enough from street level to preclude a vehicle getting to the cube, auto-bollards would be the way to go. Even if some guy managed to get his nads smashed in the process.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

I guess all of this begs the question - why would anyone want to drive a truck through the glass and then fall into a two story hole? Makes no sense. Accidental maybe, but on purpose? Pointless.

Accidents happen. NY is a big city, man. Out here in L.A. cars go out of control all the time.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Awww...that'd be sad. $9-mil (correct?) shattered. Steve's own money too (although he is rich). Imagine the outcry by the Apple community. I can imagine them trying to petition for the idiot to get the death sentence or something.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    joeurbjoeurb Posts: 3member
    Went by the cube at 12:30 am. It is absolutely stunning. Archetecturally it is not held up by a metal frame, rather it looks as it if it is held up by glass pieces perpendicular to the outside glass skin panels which seem to be acting as columns. It's obvious lack of a metal frame makes it amazingly translucent.

Still at 12:30 am there was a HUGE line to get in... looked as the store was filled to capacity and they were just letting a few people in at a time, with a line wrapping in corrals all throughout the square. There must have been hundreds and hundreds of people still waiting to get in after midnight!

Here's a cell phone pic from accross 5th ave in front of the place formerly known as the Plaza Hotel.

ps -- I would not worry about anyone driving into it. It is set back from the street probably 50 feet. Also NOTHING goes too fast down 5th Avenue! (but everyone should still be wary of those Jersey drivers )
  • Reply 31 of 43
    patrik_lpatrik_l Posts: 55member
    Is there only a stair, or how do a person in a wheelchair get down? Just a question before I waste time going there...
  • Reply 32 of 43
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    i think NYC just found the guys who would make a good 9/11 memorial (Apple/Jobs)... shame it will still become a mess because of the politics.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    joeurbjoeurb Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patrik_L

Is there only a stair, or how do a person in a wheelchair get down? Just a question before I waste time going there...

I looks as if it is very accessible. There is a circular elevator that rises up inside the cube, also there is a bridge-type of situation to get into it, with no steps leading up to it.

Here are a couple of cool links (apologies if these are reposts):

This one is a photog who got in to the pre-opening. (80+ pics)

http://flickr.com/photos/neps/sets/7...38660723/show/

A time-lapse hour by hour account from Apple themselves:

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/
  • Reply 34 of 43
    cactuscactus Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patrik_L

there is an elevator in the middle of the staircase.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    watashiwatashi Posts: 11member
    Did you see the guy propose to Uschi Lang at about 5:40 this morning?

Held up signs in front of the time lapse camera...

Uschi Lang,

I love you

Will you marry me?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    That stores pretty hot - no idea what their gonna do during the winter with all the slush and snow, the glass floor and staircase would turn into a mess.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That stores pretty hot - no idea what their gonna do during the winter with all the slush and snow, the glass floor and staircase would turn into a mess.

One word: iMop
  • Reply 38 of 43
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Where's the wheelchair access? And how do women in miniskirts avoid the geek voyeurs?

There's an elevator in the middle of the stairs.

As for the miniskirt issue, the stairs are supposedly not entirely transparent, so I suppose it's not really much more of an issue than at any other store. Oh, and it was designed by men, so...
  • Reply 39 of 43
    My Apple 5th Ave Pics I didn't see a theatre like they have in Soho. Huh.

• Reply 40 of 43
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cactus

there is an elevator in the middle of the staircase.

I can imagine Steve Jobs dressing up as Willy Wonka for Halloween and taking people up and down in his "Great Glass Elevator" of sorts.