Mail: IMAP

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i'm setting up a new MBP for my wife (switcher).

one of her email accounts is an IMAP account. i set up the account in mail and it nicely synchronized all of her email from the server with Mail. however, when she sends an email from Mail the email doesn't show up in the sent mail folder (the one with the "paper airplane"). what do i need to do so that she also has a copy on her computer??

p.s.: it doesn't show up in her "sent mail" folder on the server either?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Go to Mail > Preferences...

Click on your wife's IMAP account icon in the Accounts sidebar

Click the Mailbox Behaviors tab.

Check Store sent messages on the server.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Go to Mail > Preferences...

Click on your wife's IMAP account icon in the Accounts sidebar

Click the Mailbox Behaviors tab.

Check Store sent messages on the server.

i have that checked, yet it still doesn't save them on the server (nor on the computer) ??
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    It is probably storing sent messages in a "Sent" folder on the server. If you want to store sent messages in the local Sent folder, uncheck Store sent messages on the server.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

It is probably storing sent messages in a "Sent" folder on the server. If you want to store sent messages in the local Sent folder, uncheck Store sent messages on the server.

well, i have tried both otions and sent emails are stored in neither place.

what i would really like to do is have them in Mail as well as on the server.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bryan.fury

well, i have tried both otions and sent emails are stored in neither place.

what i would really like to do is have them in Mail as well as on the server.

For her IMAP account, does she have a "Sent" mailbox already set up? For most IMAP accounts I have seen (such as my work account), the Inbox is the root level folder, and then Drafts, Trash, Sent, etc are all subfolders of this folder. However, by default, these subfolders will not be assigned to the Trash, Drafts, Sent icons that Mail uses in the sidebar.

If your wife's email account HAS a Sent folder already (and if it is a subfolder of the Inbox), then click the little triangle next to the Inbox to expand the folder tree, highlight the Sent folder, and then go to the menubar and select Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent. This will then remove that folder from under the Inbox and place it under the Sent (paper airplane) icon. In reality, it's location on the server hasn't changed, you're just telling Mail to treat it differently. I agree that I like having the Inbox, Sent, Trash, and Junk for all my accounts consolidated under each icon so I see them all at once.

If your wife's email does NOT have a Sent folder, then create one as a subfolder of the Inbox and proceed as above. If it has a Sent folder that is a seperate folder at the same level as Inbox, then I'm not quite sure how to proceed :/ Anyone else? Beuller?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

... click the little triangle next to the Inbox to expand the folder tree, highlight the Sent folder, and then go to the menubar and select Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent.

thank you! that did the job.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lgnomelgnome Posts: 81member
    You can also use:

Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For >

For: Trash, Junk and Drafts.

edit.. oops.. see that was covered..