bootcamp issue (ie. HELP!)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i tried running bootcamp last night and everything SEEMED to have gone swimmingly. unfortunately i only get the option to boot from one partition, the xp partition. i thought i ran everything correctly, but im not sure what to do now. do i have to reinstall os x? fortunately i backed up, so if necessary i can start from the beginning. can anyone tell me what i should do? how to go about reinstalling everything or... whatever? thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andy1908

i tried running bootcamp last night and everything SEEMED to have gone swimmingly. unfortunately i only get the option to boot from one partition, the xp partition. i thought i ran everything correctly, but im not sure what to do now. do i have to reinstall os x? fortunately i backed up, so if necessary i can start from the beginning. can anyone tell me what i should do? how to go about reinstalling everything or... whatever? thanks.

When you start up your Mac, hold down the option (alt) key
  • Reply 2 of 8
    andy1908andy1908 Posts: 13member
    i did that, the only drive that comes up is xp however. no option for os x.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Try using the OS X install disc and boot up from that (holding C on startup I believe). Then use disk utility (which will be available under a menu along with terminal etc.) to look at the drive and partitions therein. Try verifying them then report back. Did you use any non standard XP install disc or anything else that might be relevant to the problem?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    did you erase the os X partition when you ran the boot camp installer? Or, did you make the OSX partition too small?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    i booted up using the os disc and found out that my partitions were all f-d up. so i basically went into disc utility and erased my entire hard drive to start from scratch. i backed up my hd using an external drive, but am not sure of how to transfer that info back on to my computer. basically i made an exact copy of the hd. how do i get that info back on to my computer now?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andy1908

i booted up using the os disc and found out that my partitions were all f-d up. so i basically went into disc utility and erased my entire hard drive to start from scratch. i backed up my hd using an external drive, but am not sure of how to transfer that info back on to my computer. basically i made an exact copy of the hd. how do i get that info back on to my computer now?

How did you make the copy?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    i basically just pulled the hd onto my external drive and it's copied there. the main things i want to get back are my itunes w/tracks, address book info, mail info, pictures and a few othe applications....
  • Reply 8 of 8
    nevermind. i figured it out. i just go into disc utilities and use disc restore. thanks!