http://www.idont.com/

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I love how this website does not have a message board. They very well know that more than most of the people will show support for the iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    I just don't get how people would buy into that. I mean isn't it contradictory to buy into the advertising of a large company when you're trying to be a non-comforist or whatever? Advertising like this just makes me want to beat my head against a wall.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Exactly. Also notice how the links to the different campaigns are all in QuickTime? When was the last time QuickTime came preinstalled on a Windows preinstalled box? I think HP did when they had iTunes? But, I think everyone gets my point?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Feynman

I love how this website does not have a message board. They very well know that more than most of the people will show support for the iPod.

You are obviously impressed with it otherwise you wouldn't be advertising it.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The desperation is reeking off that site like the mouseovers. What is more irritating are all the "iQuotes" splattered all over.

Weak! You want to beat the iPod, build a better product.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Their "non-conformist" thing is especially ridiculous when you look at the system requirements for their players. Yes, that's right. Windows XP, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer. I'm using Windows, WMP and IE! I feel so rebellious and underdog-like now! Not.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Well, it is a weak marketing effort, but it's certainly not surprising. The losing side always resorts to attacks when it can't beat the product itself.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    The thing that gets me is that the real "isheep" in all this are not people who buy iPods, but the companies trying to compete with it. Before the iPod became successful, there were a number of different mp3 players on the market. The only problem was that nobody was buying them. Then the iPod came around and it actually set industry off and running. Now it seems like everyone has an iPod or an mp3 player of somekind.

The same is true for music download services. There were a few out there before Apple, but nobody ever bought anything from them. Suddenly ITMS is a huge success and isheep from Wal-Mart to Coca-Cola are suddenly starting music download services (Because Coca-Cola is the first name you think about when you want to purchas music online). The problem is that although dozens of new companies are offering music downloads, everyone still uses ITMS. Remember Buymusic.com and all those bad Tommy Lee commercials dissing Apple? Two years later and Apple is as strong as ever while Buy.com is out the $20 million they spent on a horrible advertising campaign.

What iDon't is trying to do is not promote the SanDisk player, but rather to get it into peoples' heads that iPods are so popular, they're uncool. The band that has too big a following is a sell out. Buy an iPod and you're just one of thousands. While this works in some cases, most of the time people enjoy being in with the masses. It's why they use Windows. It's safe and comfortable. But truly to break out of the "isheep" or "idroid" crowd, what you really have to do is not have an MP3 player at all. Sit on the subway reading a book, and that will make you different. Or to be a true "free thinker" on the commute, try talking to somebody. God knows that if you did that, you would truly be seen as different.

For the record though, I do have a three year old iPod and I love it. Though there was a lot of talk about the battery lasting only 18 months, mine has gone 36 and still lasts for hours on a charge.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    notaclonenotaclone Posts: 82member
    Funny, my first thought was -"ooooh, can I get earbuds in any color at this site?".

-Baaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaa!

but I couldn't help laughing at this: iPod=1984
  • Reply 9 of 33
  • Reply 10 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Well, it is a weak marketing effort, but it's certainly not surprising. The losing side always resorts to attacks when it can't beat the product itself.

Indeed. For once, it may be a good idea to create a superior product. Or, heck, even one that's barely on par.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

You are obviously impressed with it otherwise you wouldn't be advertising it.

Do you just post to get your count up? If I liked the website I would be gloating rather than loathing. I am a proud owner of a G1 iPod, that still works everyday!

I find, as everyone else is confirming, this site to be absurd. It's about personal choice and the competition think that because the teenage mind is like clay, that anything "rebellious" they will follow. Obviously this is not the case.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Feynman

Do you just post to get your count up? If I liked the website I would be gloating rather than loathing. I am a proud owner of a G1 iPod, that still works everyday!

I find, as everyone else is confirming, this site to be absurd. It's about personal choice and the competition think that because the teenage mind is like clay, that anything "rebellious" they will follow. Obviously this is not the case.

I agree that the web site is absurd, so absurd that it needs not be given attention to. That was and is my point. If you dislike something you don't validate it, for validating it will sure as hell keep it there. Yes, saying how absurd it is IS validating it. You are giving your attention to it, hence giving it energy. Do you get it now?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    You make a valid point iPeon, but that wasn't apparent in your previous post. This type of advertising works in the sense that such ads do not promote a product, but merely attempt to trigger emotional responses. However, negative advertising in general often has the reverse effect rather than the desired effect upon their target audience.

So despite the amount of attention this advertising is attracting, it will not last due to its negative nature, and therefore will probably result in a decrease in popularity for the company in question that created the ad.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Sorry, double post.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    mattyj,

Perhaps my point was missed because the wrong definition for "advertising" was used?

The definition that applies is "To make known; call attention to."

Hence what I said reads like this, "You are obviously impressed otherwise you wouldn't be making it know to the entire AI community thereby contributing to that site's existence. Conclusion, you can't dislike it that much otherwise you would have ignored it instead giving it more energy."

Sorry, I'm lazy and tend to want to say everything in one sentence.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Nope wrong.

One doesn't have to be impressed with something in order to draw attention to it. This type for advertising relies on people not liking it in order for it to gain attention. Think about it, most people out there have iPods, this advertising will grab people's attention because it is effectively insulting iPod buyers. Therefore it will gain attention but not gain the company any sales from the iPod market, but only from those buyers who have bought a different brand of mp3 player or have yet to buy one, because it isn't insulting them.

In effect the only way this advertising could work would be by getting media attention because it is anti iPod but it won't be able to take any iPod market share. Negative advertising rarely works, is regarded as a desperate tactic and damages the reputation of the company employing the use of it. End of story. It'll get some attention no doubt, but it will last about 2 weeks maximum.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

I agree that the web site is absurd, so absurd that it needs not be given attention to. That was and is my point. If you dislike something you don't validate it, for validating it will sure as hell keep it there. Yes, saying how absurd it is IS validating it. You are giving your attention to it, hence giving it energy. Do you get it now?

Correct me if I am wrong but this is a message board where people are free to express their thoughts. If I do not like something, I will do as I please to express my thoughts. If that means writing a song, painting a picture or posting a topic with like minded people, then I believe this is my choice. What's wrong wth giving energy to something? Does not mean these energies are positive or will be perceived as such.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    It's all very, very, very serious.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Reminds me of those attack ads we all see during elections
  • Reply 20 of 33
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Isn't bashing the competition exactly what Apples "Boring Account PC vs. Cool Creative Student" ads are doing? And Apples ad campaign is far larger than SanDisks. I should point out that the SanDisk Sansa has been a fairly unanimously well reviewed product. Don't forget Apples original campaign "Think Different"... which is basically saying don't be a sheep and follow the flock. Now that they have 80-90% of the DAP market, that whole concept is shot. I personally don't think that the iPods are the best players out there... but the one I use all the time is my Nano. My reason for that is because of the integration of iTunes and the iPods. With a daily commute of about an hour on a train, I have lots of time. Podcasts have been my saving grace. Even with nearly a thousand songs on my Nano, there are still times where I just don't feel like listening to any of them. With my favorite Podcasts, I can always have new and interesting content to listen to. Granted, Podcasts are just MP3s so you can play them on any player, but the ease by which you can subscribe to them on iTunes and sync them to an iPod is unmatched. So it's not that the iPods are far and above superior to every DAP out there... it's the integration between a very good player and iTunes that makes the difference for me. Apple is far from a saint when it comes to making fun of it's competition. It goes both ways.