iPOD big problem

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a friend that has an iPOD Photo (60GB) and it seems that it doesn't see the music and the data anymore. I was only able to see the contacts a minute ago, but now not even those are available anymore.

I mean that the iPOD seem to work ok (the software runs fine) but it doesn't display the data on it, it acts as if it would be empty with no music or pictures or podcasts on it.

When I connect the iPOD to my powerbook it displays the music (the powerbook displays it, not the iPOD).

What can I do?

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    did you accidentally link it to your computer?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

]It's not an iPOD.

Ok, iPod, sorry, I haven't said a music box u know

Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Anyway, your friend's iPod sounds like it needs to be reset. Follow the instructions for resetting found in his box. If that doesn't work, restore the firmware by running the iPod updater.

Does this "reset" means that he will lose all the music on it?

Is there a solution through wich the music will not be lost?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

did you accidentally link it to your computer?

How do you mean "link it" ?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Were you trying to "copy" music from the ipod to your computer?

If you need to "make a backkup" of the music before the reset, there are several third party products for moving music from an ipod to your computer.

Here is the Apple support page for the ipod.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    An ipod can only be "linked" to one computer. If you plug it into another computer itunes will ask if you want to associate the ipod with that library, which erases everything from the ipod. This is to prevent copying music.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Once or twice the music database didn't sync correctly. I walked away with blank playlists. That was a slow day. Anyways, a quick re-sync fixed it. If worse comes to worse, back up any files you saved on the disk side, and reformat/restore your music. That usually solves all problems.