Nike and Apple launch Nike+iPod product line

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    guinessguiness Posts: 31member
    I'm not sure if it will be available everywhere, but it is posted on Apple Canada's site www.apple.ca .

I would assume it's available in most countries though, becase at the bottom of this page it says

Nike Sport Music not available in all countries. which hints at yes...
  • Reply 22 of 94
    regekregek Posts: 1member
    It might not work with a full-size iPod because the software required for the device to work might only be in the Nano. No real physical reason, just a business one.

Also, I see that the battery for the sensor is non-replacable. I wonder how long it lasts and whether replacement sensors will be available without replacement receivers.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    If this new wireless system is only to be used with the iPod Nano, it seems that it is pointing to the introduction of built-in wireless capabilities with the regular iPods.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by guiness

Why would therre be a problem with 4G/5G/Minis? I go running with my 5G all the time and there's no problems. In fact, I'm sure many of you will remember with Apple first released the iPod and one of its main facts was that it included a memory chip capable of not skipping if a person went running...and that was long before Apple released flash based nanos. We'll just have to see if Apple will actually block it from working with 5G iPods or whether it just recommends use with a Nano. I can't imagine they wouldn't want to keep encouraging people to buy the much more profitable 60GB iPod over a Nano.

jogging or running with a hard drive attached to your arm or waist might be riskier in the long term to the overall lifetime of the device*. maybe that's why apple is limiting its use to the nano only. they don't want people sueing them for broken 5Gs when in use with this product.

anyway, this will probably require an ipod firmware update, so keep an eye on that to see if other ipods are supported.

*just an assumption. i can't back this up.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I guess we're getting iTunes 6.05 any moment now in Software Update then!

You'd have thought with Lance there they'd add a heart rate monitor and cycle computer setup.

yea, that would have made sense. or a bicycle adaptor.

Perhaps it will be included in Nike+ cycling shoes.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Will it work with non-Nike shoes as well? One won't be able to snuggly fit it inside the shoes but maybe it will work fixed to a shoe's outside.

Unless it is pressure sensitive, in which case it will need to be positioned under the foot.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

If this new wireless system is only to be used with the iPod Nano, it seems that it is pointing to the introduction of built-in wireless capabilities with the regular iPods.

Scratch that. I see now that it uses a proprietary protocal.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

Does this count as new hardware?

• Reply 29 of 94
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

yea, that would have made sense. or a bicycle adaptor.

Perhaps it will be included in Nike+ cycling shoes.

You can't detect anything in a cycling shoe. Wheel magnets and heart rate straps only.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Regek

Also, I see that the battery for the sensor is non-replacable. I wonder how long it lasts and whether replacement sensors will be available without replacement receivers.

Unless the battery lasts at least a year on typical use (2-3 hours a week), spending $29 to buy both the sensor and receiver everytime the battery is depleted is going to be expensive.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Is the guy in the commercial on the nike site using a macbook or an ibook?

I wonder how they'll eventually expand this into weight training. hmmm...
  • Reply 32 of 94
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

You'd have thought with Lance there they'd add a heart rate monitor and cycle computer setup.

Does Nike make bike shoes? Secondly, is there a good way to get heart rate from someone's foot? I don't think the puse is too strong down there to be absorbed through a sock. Plus the pavement pounding stuff.

Quote:

Originally posted by filburt

Unless the battery lasts at least a year on typical use (2-3 hours a week), spending $29 to buy both the sensor and receiver everytime the battery is depleted is going to be expensive.

The radio in your car's keyfob lasts a long time. custom, short range radios can run on very low power. A lithium primary cell should be able to drive it for quite some time.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Is there a video link to introduction?
  • Reply 34 of 94
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quick show of hands: how many of you have been using Macs since the early- to mid-90s? I have and I recall very clearly how limp and ineffectual Apple's marketing and its product strategies were.

It's amazing to see that same company being so aggressive in nailing down every segment of this new market they're in. And I'm not even someone who normally gives a rip about that kind of thing, but the contrast between the old Apple and the new is remarkable.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Is Nikeplus personal service Apple web objects or xserve powered?
  • Reply 36 of 94
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkswamp

Quick show of hands: how many of you have been using Macs since the early- to mid-90s? I have and I recall very clearly how limp and ineffectual Apple's marketing and its product strategies were.

It's amazing to see that same company being so aggressive in nailing down every segment of this new market they're in. And I'm not even someone who normally gives a rip about that kind of thing, but the contrast between the old Apple and the new is remarkable.

Steve got burned the first time.

Or, this would be a 95% apple world.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    this product announcement is the 'Shuffle' killer. Goodbye workout Shuffle, you were terrific.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Does Nike make bike shoes? Secondly, is there a good way to get heart rate from someone's foot? I don't think the puse is too strong down there to be absorbed through a sock. Plus the pavement pounding stuff.

Yes, they do make bike shoes. They have done since about 1993 IIRC. They also make bike kit too. That's what Lance wears as did the US Postal Team. There's some kind of co-licencing deal with Trek (the bike manufacturer). Lance runs like a duck as do most cyclists as the muscle development is all wrong for running.

Your foot isn't the place for a heartrate monitor. Usually it's a strap that goes around your chest.

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The radio in your car's keyfob lasts a long time. custom, short range radios can run on very low power. A lithium primary cell should be able to drive it for quite some time.

My Polar heartrate strap battery lasts a couple of years before I send it back for replacement - it's completely sealed. You can swim with it even. Nike/Trek both make heart rate monitors too but Polar are the leaders.

I hope Nike have made the radio signal from the transmitter coded, otherwise you'll get interference from other people's shoe transmitters. Personally, I'm an ASICS fan for running shoes and Shimano for bike shoes so unless Apple open this up to other manufacturers I can't see it being useful.
  • Reply 39 of 94
    xanthohappyxanthohappy Posts: 102member
    An interesting thought:

Obviously both Apple and Nike have teamed up on this venture with the purpose of selling more products. Apple's pretty covered, as obviously this will only work with an iPod, but what's to stop other shoe manufacturers from putting holes underneath the insole in future shoe models? I'm guessing you can't patent something like that. Nike has a headstart for certain, but do you think they could lose out on their investment in the long run?

Additional thought:

Unless you can't sign on to Nike's online service without a valid shoe purchase. Hmmmm...
  • Reply 40 of 94
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xanthohappy

An interesting thought:

Obviously both Apple and Nike have teamed up on this venture with the purpose of selling more products. Apple's pretty covered, as obviously this will only work with an iPod, but what's to stop other shoe manufacturers from putting holes underneath the insole in future shoe models? I'm guessing you can't patent something like that. Nike has a headstart for certain, but do you think they could lose out on their investment in the long run?

Additional thought:

Unless you can't sign on to Nike's online service without a valid shoe purchase. Hmmmm...

I was thinking of simply cutting a hole in my shoe