Windows Vista and Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First, will Windows Vista run? On MacBooks? It seems it will according to the official reqs. Also, does everyone think MS will make drivers for them? Will Microsoft make Vista specifically for Macs? Thus, Apple wouldn't have to squander resources on BootCamp, and it would work flawlessly with Apple and MS working together to assure perfect driver support. Why hasn't MS gotten to work already on this? You'd think they'd be so excited at the potential to knock OS X off Macs and replace it with Vista. If Vista is so good, we'll all switch to it, right? Thoughts?

I'm excited and looking forward to running OS X, XP, and Vista on my MacBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Device drivers are written by hardware vendors. As long as Apple sets up the EFI to boot Vista in BootCamp, there aren't problems loading Vista because the (current) hardware is already Vista ready.

See this article about the Mac Mini being the most Vista ready PC this reporter has: http://news.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39...9273426,00.htm

The MacBook is pretty much the same hardware, just mushed flat.

I would expect that Parallels might have Vista installable in the near future. I'm currently running XP SP2 and Ubuntu Linux under Parallels on my MacBook. I didn't think wasting space with Bootcamp was needed...and I can make backup images in case something (virus) bad happens and just load instantly from an image.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah Parallels sounds really really nice. MS or Apple or someone should buy 'em. Suprised it hasn't happened yet. Might be a good stock buy, if they go public or something.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    MS buy something??

They can just steal it if they want, like they do everything else.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yeah Parallels sounds really really nice. MS or Apple or someone should buy 'em. Suprised it hasn't happened yet. Might be a good stock buy, if they go public or something.

I sure hope MS doesn't buy Parallels. As it is, I'm not happy about MS having bought up Virtual PC -- it makes future support for Linux questionable, plus God know what licensing restrictions MS would love to enforce on installing the same copy of Windows on multiple virtual PCs.

I just finished installing XP on a Parallels VPC, along with some basic stuff that I'd personally want in a basic Windows installation -- Service Pack 2 and all available updates to date, Java, Firefox, Cygwin, and various media support like iTunes/QT, Flash, and Real. That kind of setup is a time-consuming process which I don't want to repeat any more than is absolutely necessary. With that setup now done, I can set aside a copy of my VPC as a "baseline" to which I can always revert if another VPC crashes. What's great is the my baseline XP installation is just a little over 4GB, perfect for offline backup to a DVD.

As time goes by, I can keep a live copy of my baseline VPC up-to-date with Windows updates and other software updates, and back those up to DVD too.

I'm sure MS would love to work it out so that I'd be required to pay seperately for each installed copy of Windows on each and every VPC.

Besides, MS has become a slow behemoth when it comes to updating all of their products, including Virtual PC. It took a long time for G5 compatibility to come out, and Parallels easily beat MS in getting a native Intel virtualization product out the door. Who knows how long until MS's product supports Intel? Seeing how MS took their dear sweet time with G5 support, I wouldn't want to be holding my breath for an Intel update.

As for Apple buying out Parallels? I've got no problem with that, especially Apple they bundled Parallels' virtualization tech into the OS. Apple would have the power to tweak the OS itself to improve virtualization performance, plus Apple would have much more reason than Microsoft to keep their virtualization as flexible as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

MS buy something??

They can just steal it if they want, like they do everything else.

WTF are you talking about? They have bought exactly 22 companies just last year.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They steal what they can't buy. Like Mac OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

WTF are you talking about? They have bought exactly 22 companies just last year.

In case you are missing it for the second time around, here's a clue. Sarcasm.

• Reply 8 of 9
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

In case you are missing it for the second time around, here's a clue. Sarcasm.

Except he wasn't being sarcastic - just a fanboi. Kinda like you.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Except he wasn't being sarcastic - just a fanboi. Kinda like you.

Brilliant. Thank you.