Putting Mac on a Dell

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My friend has a Dell Inspiron 1150 and he wants to put OS X on it as well as the normal XP. We both don't know how to go about this, he bought the disks and everything, but if someone could link me to a site that could show me how to do this, it would be great. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    This is probably the first place you should look:

http://www.osx86project.org/

Just bear in mind, you probably won't be able to make OS upgrades without breaking the installation, and of course apple won't help you with any support. Best of luck.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's difficult to install, runs with varying success, and is most of all, illegal.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Yeah... if he bought the OS... I don't see why it would be illegal... however, the experience of running OS X on a PC is typically less than stellar. OS X is designed to run on Apple machines and thus the hardware that is needs to support is very minimal and the drivers provided support only that hardware. Chances are that your video will not run optimally and other components may not have drivers at all. As mentioned, software updates will also not likely work. It is a good way to play around with the OS though... but you should realize that the experience on a Mac would be infinately better.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Uh, is the Intel version of OS X even *IN* the box yet? It was my understanding that it was only shipping with Intel machines.

If that's the case, your buddy wasted the $ on his purchase - what he has will only run on a PowerPC Mac. The best you could hope for is running it through an emulator, and well, that's just going to suck.

Best to just pay $600 for a Mac mini and call it good if you want to run Mac OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    OSX on a Dell? That's like putting sugar on dog shit.

Heresy!!!

• Reply 6 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Heresy!!!

Oddly, I read that as Hershey...which is likely a good summation of the chocolate...even if I do eat it now and again (Hershey's chocolate, not the other stuff).

Vinea
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Off-topic EULA discussion has been split off to this thread

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=63765

Please continue the EULA discussion there, if you have nothing better to do.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hxc04

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 1150 and he wants to put OS X on it as well as the normal XP. We both don't know how to go about this, he bought the disks and everything, but if someone could link me to a site that could show me how to do this, it would be great. Thanks for the help.

based on the title it sounds like you can just stack the mac on top of the dell. oh you mean OS X on a dell.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hxc04

Mac OS X does not run on non-Apple computers.