Will the MacBook run Aperture?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Will the MacBook run Aperture?

It's not listed on the Aperture site, but just curious. I know it's weak on the graphics card, but I saw some promising benchmarks with Motion and I know that's heavy on the graphics card requirements...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I would guess yes, considering that the image of the macbook in black on the apple site is running aperture.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Load it up with RAM and have nothing else running when you do it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I would guess yes, considering that the image of the macbook in black on the apple site is running aperture.

That's just the latest version of iPhoto in full screen. It also reads iphoto in the top left of the display, though it's in tiny pixilated print.

Unfortunately i think you'd need to run a requirements warkaround since the macbook's display is 54 pixels short of apertures vertical resolution requirement. I know there is a patch around somewhere that people used to make it run on ibooks. Otherwise the macbook should run aperture decently, provided you have enough memory (as CosmoNut said).

Edit (again): The workaround will probably have to involve clearing the integrated graphics as well if not the computer's identity as a macbook which the compatibility checker software might check... but I wouldn't be surprised to see a patch come out soon, if there isn't already one available.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Aperture works no problem on the macbook apple just won't tech support it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Load it up with RAM and have nothing else running when you do it.

Actually, I have it running on a 512MB RAM (yeah I know... long story...) Mac mini Core Duo, and I also have Camino, Azureus, Terminal, iTunes, VLC running in the background, and given the amount of apps open and the (lack of) RAM, it runs pretty well. Of course, you need version 1.1.1 to see the improvements in speed and RAW image handling.

I was running 1.0.1 until I upgraded it to 1.1 and then to 1.1.1 and that was painful (no doubt it had smth to do with it not being Universal at 1.0 but that was only part of it). So yes, it will run, and I can say that it'll run quite comfortably so. Maybe not at speeding-bullet speeds, but patience is a good virtue anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Sounds great- I'll be looking forward to giving this a try as soon as I decide what model to get- I'm thinking $1299 w/ a gig of ram...