Two fingers on trackpad for secondary click MISSING--MBP 15

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

My MBP 15 is up date with all the system software and firmware updates and I do not have the setting: [ x ] Place two fingers on trackpad for secondary click. (see picture)

From reports on other threads, the new MacBook and currently shipping 15/17 MBPs have this setting.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this is missing for me?

Or does anyone have a MBP with the same issue?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    This is likely a software related issue and I bet 10.4.7 will fix this for you, but I can't say for certain.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    17-inch MBPs and all MBs have this. 15-inch MBPs do not. 10.4.7 may introduce it, but we don't know.

I'm sure hacks will come up, though.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If a Powerbook or MBP has the two finger scroll capability and doesn't have this, I imagine it will be included in a later update.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    When I tested the new MacBooks at the SF Apple Store this weekend the two-finger secondary click functionality wasn't working. I was kinda irked as I wanted to test out the new feature.

Safari was fairly locked down too. Kinda weird.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Well the 15" MBPros shipped before the 17" MBPros and 13" MBs, so it may be that the two newer machines are running a slightly different build of 10.4.6.

Dunno, just a guess...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    see that checkbox up above that says "Clicking" ?

Click that, it enables and disables different options right where you have the highlighted area. Not very user friendly, imho, to hide options based on a checkbox. I think you'll find the answer to your missing two finger right click option.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

see that checkbox up above that says "Clicking" ?

Click that, it enables and disables different options right where you have the highlighted area. Not very user friendly, imho, to hide options based on a checkbox. I think you'll find the answer to your missing two finger right click option.

Nope. I have a 15" MBP right here. Clicking "Clicking" does not magically make the "Place two fingers..." option appear, all it does is enable the already-visible-but-dimmed "Dragging" checkbox.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    I've had this feature in my old iBook for ages, with iScroll2 that also enabled the two finger scrolling for pre 2005 iBook and powerbook. My point is that I wouldn't be worried if I were you, that feature is going to be activated soon for you guys, by apple or by some third party software.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Well the 15" MBPros shipped before the 17" MBPros and 13" MBs, so it may be that the two newer machines are running a slightly different build of 10.4.6.

Dunno, just a guess...

They are.

The downloadable Mac OS X is 8I1119. The 15-inch MacBook Pro ships with 8I1121 (i.e., only slightly newer), whereas the 17-inch one ships with 8I2032. Presumably, the MacBook's build is even newer.

10.4.7 will probably reunite this.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kritikalkritikal Posts: 29member
    i just bought my MBP today, updated version with 2.0 ghz and widescreen and im also out the secondary click option. they need to fix this SOON.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kritikal

i just bought my MBP today, updated version with 2.0 ghz and widescreen and im also out the secondary click option. they need to fix this SOON.

I just got a MBP and it scrolls with two fingers.

In System Preferences: Keyboard & Mouse there is an option for Trackpad Gestures with "Use two fingers to scroll" and "Allow horizontal scrolling". These were selected by default; that is, I didn't even think to look until reading this thread.

Is that what you guys are talking about?

MacBookPro1,1

2 GHz

• Reply 12 of 14
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

Why do people post without reading threads (or even the first post, or the thread title) first?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

In System Preferences: Keyboard & Mouse there is an option for Trackpad Gestures with "Use two fingers to scroll" and "Allow horizontal scrolling". These were selected by default; that is, I didn't even think to look until reading this thread.

MacBookPro1,1

2 GHz

No, it's not. We're talking about two-finger click (for secondary mouse button emulation), not two-finger drag (for scrolling).
  • Reply 14 of 14
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Why do people post without reading threads (or even the first post, or the thread title) first?

Maybe because people don't always understand what's going on and ask for clarification, especially when other posts in the thread seem to be giving clues that something might be there and others disagree.

Hey, if you don't want input or people to try to help, I guess I'll just go away again. I thought it was just the people in AO that I was avoiding.