slowness

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I am using MacOSX as my primary OS, but also Windows and Linux a lot.

Why is Quartz so incredibly slow? Window resizing being slow on my intel

iMac is odd; Windows (Bootcamp) smoothly resizes windows. I have 2gb internal memory; should be enough, right?

Also the spinning beachball and unresponsive GUI elements sometimes (menu's, dropdowns)...why? This is also happening on my Powerbook.

Is this going to be a focus for Apple, in e.g version 10.5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

Hi,

iMac is odd; Windows (Bootcamp) smoothly resizes windows. I have 2gb internal memory; should be enough, right?

Also the spinning beachball and unresponsive GUI elements sometimes (menu's, dropdowns)...why? This is also happening on my Powerbook.

Different implementations of the resize algorithm...one resizes the window without dropping a redraw of the content, the other resizes the window and only redraws the window content periodically. One resizes slow but the on-screen result is nice (buffered), the other resizes fast but can induce epileptic seizures from all flashing (not-so-buffered).

Unresponsive GUI elements happen on both sides...they are a mystery to all since they can happen no matter how fast your computer is. For example, my GUI is very responsive on my PowerMac 2x800MHz G4...yet totally unresponsive on my ThinkPad Pentium M 1.5GHz.

Hanged processes, processes taking up lots of CPU can be causes of GUI slowdowns.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

Hi,

Check your user account: make a new account and go into it and see if the same sorts of things happen. If the new account is fine, then it is most likly a junked up user specific setting file in the (user)/lib folder...now figuring out just which one...that is a little hard to explain in a forum...you cant mess up too much in the (user)/library folder, the worst you could do is hose your account. just stay away from the /library folder at the root level, those are the system settings.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It shouldn't be slow on an Intel Imac. I would say you should repair permissions and then clean out your caches (with cocktail) and reboot.