Have apple sorted out processor whine and over heating issues yet?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does any body know or has anybody heard the status of the latest macbook pros? do they still whine do they still get uber hot?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    About 3 weeks ago I was in our local Apple store and asked the sales guy that same exact question. He replied that he was unaware of any heat or noise problems..
  • Reply 2 of 33
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    I too am wondering about this, and also wondering about whether the refurbs should be insulated from this issue.

HSE.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 3 of 33
    The most recent firmware update has noticably changed the function of my MBP's fans. Yesterday I actually heard them! Amazing, I know. While it never had the extreme problem of overheating and I'm yet to hear a whine, my MBP was still slightly above average in terms of heat. After the update, however, my fans kick in more regularly and it's running cool.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    kashimashkashimash Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Animal Farm

The most recent firmware update has noticably changed the function of my MBP's fans. Yesterday I actually heard them! Amazing, I know. While it never had the extreme problem of overheating and I'm yet to hear a whine, my MBP was still slightly above average in terms of heat. After the update, however, my fans kick in more regularly and it's running cool.

Which week was yours built in, I have had 3 1.83 MBP's a week 4, week 12 and a week 16, all of which had the processor whine and am now waiting fro my 4th replacement, which they have also updated to the 2.00GHz. I am really hoping this one is bug free, otherwise im thinking about just getting my money back.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kashimash

Which week was yours built in, I have had 3 1.83 MBP's a week 4, week 12 and a week 16, all of which had the processor whine and am now waiting fro my 4th replacement, which they have also updated to the 2.00GHz. I am really hoping this one is bug free, otherwise im thinking about just getting my money back.

I thought Apple wouldn't replace whining machines because they state that it is "within spec.". How did you get them to do it?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I said the magic words "the noise is unacceptable"
  • Reply 7 of 33
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kashimash

I said the magic words "the noise is unacceptable"

You do realize that whining incessantly is unacceptable to Apple and that you're going to eventually be put at the bottom of its priority list.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    When I spend £1700 on a product I expect I do not expect it to be sub-standard. Nowhere on the Apple spec sheet does it mention that the macbook pro comes with an annoying vomit / headache inducing whine.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    (Personal attack deleted by moderator)Ive heard the "whine" and its not anything I would bitch about.(Personal attack deleted by moderator)

Run one of the 10 apps that fixes the problem (Personal attack deleted by moderator).
  • Reply 10 of 33
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member

It's not his fault that your standards are so low that you're willing to accept a poorly made product... you should be bitching at yourself, not at him.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    kashimashkashimash Posts: 17member
    There are no fixes for the problem, they are work arounds, all of these work arounds simply increase heat, and reduce battery life.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Back on topic - my 17" MBP doesn't have any whine & runs cooler than my 15" PB

No other concerns with it - a great machine!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Just got a 2.16 ghz macbook pro. week 16. no whine, no heat problems. Perfect. Remeber, you hear a lot more about the people who have the whine than from the people who don't. I was worried about it but mine has none and I know two other people who have macbook pros and neither of them have the whine. Great machine.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    My MacBook will whack your MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

About 3 weeks ago I was in our local Apple store and asked the sales guy that same exact question. He replied that he was unaware of any heat or noise problems..

That's a 'negative', Ghostwriter.

I've dealt with incompetance at my local Apple store. When my iPod 40gig's battery started lasting for a mere 1 hour (before the ipod battery replacement thing), the salespeople seemed oblivious.

"Are you sure you charged it?"

If I ever hear that again, someone's gonna get cut.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    untsiguntsig Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

That's a 'negative', Ghostwriter.

I've dealt with incompetance at my local Apple store. When my iPod 40gig's battery started lasting for a mere 1 hour (before the ipod battery replacement thing), the salespeople seemed oblivious.

"Are you sure you charged it?"

If I ever hear that again, someone's gonna get cut.

but are you SURE you charged it?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    I have a week 20 MBP 2.0Ghz, glossy screen, 1.5 gigs RAM.

Heat is fine (no warmer than powerbooks I've used) - even after playing Quake 4 on High settings for 2+ hours or similar. According to Core Duo Temp, the hottest my machine runs is 67C - well within specs. On average, it is in the 50's.

but: The whine is/was there. When I first got the machine, I installed all updates....and, of course, the keyboard update negated the effects of the easiest fix - the mirror widget. So, I simply reinstalled the OS after doing a clean wipe (which gained HD space) & I neglected to install the keyboard update 2nd time around. Now I have a sometimes slightly finicky trackpad experience (which doesn't exist when I use an external mouse) but, thanks to mirror widget (turn it on, turn it off - zero resource used once off), I have a completely silent MBP.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    majortommajortom Posts: 33member
    I've got a MacBook since two weeks and is going back for MB exchange on monday because fans are not working and CPU clocks down to 1.0GHz when temp gets over 70°C. Anyway... what I wanted to say is that after installing CHUD 4.3.3 I was able to notice also that with 2 CPUs enabled (about this: I've been hearing that Core Due IS NOT a dual core processor but instead a single core processor with 2 channels of hyperthreading) there's a sort of sound coming out from the machine and I think is what people call "whine". This sound is active only if the machine is in idle or if the second core is disabled via "Processor" pref.pane then the sound vanishes.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by majortom

(about this: I've been hearing that Core Due IS NOT a dual core processor but instead a single core processor with 2 channels of hyperthreading)

What you've been hearing is incorrect. The Core Duo is Intel's first true dual-core chip; both cores are on the same die.

Later editions of the Pentium 4 had hyper-threading, which could "fool" the OS into thinking that it had two processors when there was only one. The Pentium D is two Pentium 4 dies in one package.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    majortommajortom Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

What you've been hearing is incorrect. The Core Duo is Intel's first true dual-core chip; both cores are on the same die.

Later editions of the Pentium 4 had hyper-threading, which could "fool" the OS into thinking that it had two processors when there was only one. The Pentium D is two Pentium 4 dies in one package.