Windows Media Player

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm having trouble installing WMP for my mac. (OSX). I install it, and it downloads onto my desktop as a .stix, i dunno what to do after this point, since it doesnt really do anything when i double click it..do i need a prorgam to open it?

Thanks,

Ace

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    .stix is not ringing a bell. .sit is a compressed archive and you can open it with Stuffit. Try editing the extinsion from .stix to .sit and open the file.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Sounds like .sitx to me, which is a new StuffIt format. You'll need to get StuffIt Expander.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mopsiclemopsicle Posts: 25member
    I tried getting stuffit but it wasnt working for some reason.

Can anyone give me link (not from the official website) for me to download?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    <Snip> Linky no longer works. I trashed the file long ago.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    propably stupid question, but why don't you get flip4mac wmv plugin? I thought that was only thing you used to need wmp for? What ever I do, i'd rather not copy over 300 files some where around the system, as wmp for mac does.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

propably stupid question, but why don't you get flip4mac wmv plugin? I thought that was only thing you used to need wmp for? What ever I do, i'd rather not copy over 300 files some where around the system, as wmp for mac does.

i tried that aswell, said it couldnt be installed onto my computer for some reason.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Drag the file onto DropStuff, part of the Stuffit Package. Sometimes double-clicking the file to be expanded doesn't properly launch Stuffit Expander.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mopsicle

i tried that aswell, said it couldnt be installed onto my computer for some reason.

Do you have intel mac, neither flip4mac or WMP for mac has support for intel macs, but intel version of flip4mac is comming out soon, You should also try VLC-player from videolan.org, it can play quite many formats, with its own included codecs
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

Do you have intel mac, neither flip4mac or WMP for mac has support for intel macs, but intel version of flip4mac is comming out soon, You should also try VLC-player from videolan.org, it can play quite many formats, with its own included codecs

yeah, MBP, thanks for the information.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    wmv flipformac is much much better option than using wmp. WMP for mac is nothing like the win version (which is actually not that bad).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ronaldoronaldo Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mopsicle

I tried to download flip4 for mac on my intel based mac and got a message that said it is not supported by this system.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You could use parallels and run WMV under Windows. You should even be able to convert it so you can run it under OS X if needs be.