What sort of Hard Drive for Macbook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been lurking on this forum for far too long now!

I've decided to bite the bullet and sign up and more importantly.. I've decided to sell everything I own on Ebay for a Macbook.

I wanted to know what sort of Hard Drive the Macbook takes?! I think I'll move it to 7200 rpm around about the 100gb mark! Not decided.

Also on another note,

How much do you think I should ask for my 12" Powerbook G4 1.33ghz on ebay? I'm thinking £600 (With iSight, 80gb HD, 768 RAM, good condition and boxed)

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maybejames

I've been lurking on this forum for far too long now!

I've decided to bite the bullet and sign up

Welcome onboard, Maybejames.

Quote:

I wanted to know what sort of Hard Drive the Macbook takes?! I think I'll move it to 7200 rpm around about the 100gb mark! Not decided.

Any standard 2.5" laptop HDD. Follow these instructions.

Quote:

Also on another note,

How much do you think I should ask for my 12" Powerbook G4 1.33ghz on ebay? I'm thinking £600 (With iSight, 80gb HD, 768 RAM, good condition and boxed)

Thanks!

Just start your auction at £0.99 and don't bother with a reserve price. Trust me, you'll almost certainly get a better final price that way (more bids, makes the auction look better, people feel comfortable bidding on it if it's already got bids, eBay charges are lowest for £0.99 start price and no reserve).

Make sure you take lots of good photographs, be honest about its condition.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    untsiguntsig Posts: 47member
    refer to my thread here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=63766

Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

my macbook is currently running with a 100gb Hitachi 7200rpm HD and its screaming fast with 2gb ram. I bought the basic MacBook and self installed everything, for probably 1/3rd the Apple cost. Haven't ever had a better Powerbook or iBook, this thing is superb. Installation on both ram and HD into the MacBook took a total of 5 min, most of which was trying to get the stupid ram into the silly ram slots.

After reading benchmarks, there is really no reason to have the 2.0ghz version, the differences are so minute as to be silly when compared to the 1.83ghz.

• Reply 3 of 6
    Thanks Guys!

Sorry unstig I didn't see your post anywhere! Are there any bigger 7200 HD's around?

Also where abouts did you buy the HD from? I need to work out my finances!

Any links to the products would be great!

AND... the Macbook has a sudden motion sensor so...

will any hard drive that I install be compatible with this or is it something that is already in the Macbook regardless of the HD?!

Now only have to decide on black or white.... I'm so shallow!

Thanks again!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lol

so i guess you didnt even click the link i posted for you.

please do so, it'll answer some of your questions

as for bigger than 100gb?? i dunno if you would ever need it in a notebook but you could surf around and find out.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    here to make it easier on you: check out www.eWiz.com

one board member has this one: Hitachi 7200rpm 100gb
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks!

I do protest though! I clicked the link but Sandau is quoting US prices!

I wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation for any UK sites to check?

Best I have found it Dabs uk with this price!Link

But thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate it.