Appleinsider 1 Apple Computer 0

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
AI and Powerpage stick it to Apple. Online Journalist rejoice.

Down goes Frazier...down goes Frazier.

IMO this is the correct decision. While I don't always agree with lack of protection of IP I think in this case it was more important to establish that online journalist do indeed have shield protection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    That's good news. It's interesting that AI doesn't have an article up about this.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Excellent. I'm quite happy to see Apple lose on this one, and freedom of speech win.

Apple, what ever were you thinking?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If it were ruled the other way, it would hardly encroach on freedom of speech. The tip-off was likely under NDA, so his act was illegal.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Haha, in looking through the decision, I noticed that pscates was mentioned several times - he drew an "artists' rendition." One justification for Apple losing was that they never tried to contact Paul Scates about who the source might have been, and they therefore had not exhausted other avenues of finding out. (Sounds like a bogus reason to me, actually, given that pscates pretty obviously didn't have any inside info and just drew the thing based on the article.)
  • Reply 5 of 24
    HOLY SHIT, what happened to pscates anyways?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If it were ruled the other way, it would hardly encroach on freedom of speech. The tip-off was likely under NDA, so his act was illegal.

Of course, but AI was not under NDA, and the reporting of it broke no contract. There are a number of cases going around right now with the government prosecuting (and possibly even eavesdropping upon) journalists. That does put a damper on freedom of the press, and this AI case was part of that same trend.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    If an informant told a news source some piece of slander, and the news source reported it, they would be equally guilty for libel, am I right?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

HOLY SHIT, what happened to pscates anyways?

He went thataway. Still crafting mockups in Illustrator.

I think it's funny that the bone of contention, "Asteroid", never saw the light of day. I think Steve Steved it just out of pique.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I think it's funny that the bone of contention, "Asteroid", never saw the light of day. I think Steve Steved it just out of pique.

I thought I had heard news of some breakout box that was codeveloped by Apple and some audio company... maybe I just dreamt it?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Which way is thataway?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Quote:

Which way is thataway?

As a guess AppleNova??
  • Reply 12 of 24
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Journalism is officially dead, just a bunch of yahoo's trying to get hit's on their site and publishing whatever they want for a quick buck. (present company excluded of course )
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

I thought I had heard news of some breakout box that was codeveloped by Apple and some audio company... maybe I just dreamt it?

An audio breakout box was the rumor, but an Apple designed and branded one, at a cheap price point, tied in to Garage Band.

Apple worked with AJA on the drivers for their "lo" (video) box, but I haven't seem anything audio wise that suggested much input from Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

As a guess AppleNova??

Yep.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    ry-garry-gar Posts: 23member
    Rumors sourced by people within Apple that are violating non-disclosure agreements are not only illegal but they also hurt Apple.

As much as we all may like to hear the rumors, spilling the beans violates legal agreements Apple has with it's employees and contractors and it UNDERMINES the efforts of this company that we all claim to love so much.

Some people just don't get it.

You love Mac OS, so you complain you can't install it on a cheap PC---- nevermind that the ability to install it on a cheap PC would undermine Apple's hardware business and DESTROY the company leaving you with NO Mac OS or Mac's whatsoever.

If you ever want Apple to have more than 4-5% marketshare they you will STOP doing things that HURT the company.

Stealing their thunder before a major product release with rumors, etc, etc. You might as well promote Microsoft and buy Windows because you are hurting APPLE just the same.

Use your head. Help Apple succeed in the fight or at least stay out of the way.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    evilmoleevilmole Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ry-gar

Stealing their thunder before a major product release with rumors, etc, etc. You might as well promote Microsoft and buy Windows because you are hurting APPLE just the same.

Can you explain to me how someone doing a story about a new product release before Apple releases it hurts their sales?

While I can see how you would argue this over, say, an update to an existing product that was leaked months before its release, a completely new product - which is what Asteroid is - isn't going to rob Apple of any sales it it's leaked. In fact, it's likely to do the opposite: rob competitors of sales in the run up the its announcement.

Even with updates on existing products, little commercial damage is done. If the news leaks days before the product is announced, it's extremely likely that Apple's inventory management has done its job and ensured there's little of the old product in the channel anyway. If it's weeks/months before release, it's unlikely that people will actually wait: if you need a MacBook Pro now, the news that there's likely to be an update in six months time isn't going to put you off buying one.

So, in your own words, "use your head" - and stop believing all the guff that Apple has put out about the "damage" that investigative reporting does to it.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by EvilMole

Can you explain to me how someone doing a story about a new product release before Apple releases it hurts their sales?

Do you really need someone to answer that for you? And cut the shit, think secret doesn't do "stories about new products" they LEAK new product specs and form factors using information knowingly under NDA's.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Do you really need someone to answer that for you?

Yes, I do. Tell me, and I'll show you how you're wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

And cut the shit, think secret doesn't do "stories about new products" they LEAK new product specs and form factors using information knowingly under NDA's.

Think Secret didn't do any original reporting on Asteroid, as you'd know if you'd ever bothered to read the court filings (I have, before you ask). What's more, none of the sites that Apple sued was under NDA, which means they didn't leak anything either.

Stop drinking the Kool Aide, and make some serious points.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by EvilMole

Yes, I do. Tell me, and I'll show you how you're wrong.

Here you go - A rumour site releases the specs and pictures of a product months away from final production, competitors see it and are able to bring similar products to market taking away Apples advantage. Can you defend that? didn't think so, thanks for playing anyway.