macbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

I just got the cheapest macbook and I was wondering what upgrades should I make too it?

I won't be doing a lot of photo or movie editing but I might try to play some games, would they even work on this computer?

thanks in advanced!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I'd say a gig of RAM, if you don't already have it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Yeah I didn't get any upgrades yet.

Will I loose any of my current data if I up it to a gig?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Nah, you're probably thinking of the hard drive which is where data is stored.

RAM is where applications (and widgets, and system functions) live when they're running. Since OS X likes RAM (and is aggressive about using it), a lot of the stock 512 MB is consumed by system functions, leaving a limited amount of room for applications to run, making them slower as they have to access the much slower then RAM hard drive. With more RAM they do this less, and hence run faster.

In short, you won't lose your data and everything will run faster.

You will however be left with 2 256 MB sticks of RAM, after you put in the 2 512 MB sticks, because Intel Mac computers use dual channel memory making things run faster if the RAM is matched in size (i.e. don't buy a single 1 GB stick and use it with a 256 MB stick) . You can put them in another computer if it supports DDR2 667 RAM, or dump them on eBay and make... uh $10 a stick or so.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    alright thanks,

will they sell those at the apple store? and do you think someone not very experinced with computers/notebooks would be able to install them?

thanks for your help guys
  • Reply 5 of 13
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Better to keep the original RAM sticks so you can put them back in if you ever need to send the computer off for repair.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Better to keep the original RAM sticks so you can put them back in if you ever need to send the computer off for repair.

why is it bad to send it with the one 512 sticks?

btw im from highlands ranch, colorado
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by gracegale

why is it bad to send it with the one 512 sticks?

btw im from highlands ranch, colorado

What he means is to restore the MacBook to stock configurations, before/if you send it in for repairs.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    If there is need for repair, replacing the original RAM eliminates the new RAM as a suspect for the problem. I just think it's a good idea to keep the original RAM around, just in case, since it's not worth much anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Yeah its not like I will sell it or anything ill just keep it.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Good plan. If you ever have strange unexplainable problems with your Mac, take out the new RAM, replace it with the original and see if the problem still exists. RAM rarely goes bad, but once in a while...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gracegale

alright thanks,

will they sell those at the apple store? and do you think someone not very experinced with computers/notebooks would be able to install them?

thanks for your help guys

Instructions are in the manual. And on the underside of the battery case.

It's literally unscrewing (you will need the correct screw driver), activating a lever and pushing in the RAM.Really. It's in the manual which came with the computer.

And don't buy cheap RAM...check online at Crucial, Newegg, or TransIntl.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

And don't buy cheap RAM...check online at Crucial, Newegg, or TransIntl.

I've had good luck with both cheap RAM and the expensive stuff from Crucial and I've bought a lot of it over the years. Currently, Crucial is charging twice the price for MacBook RAM that you can get elsewhere but Crucial is generally regarded as one of the best memory dealers.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    If you go on the Other world computings site--you can google it to find it.

There is an area called technical support that has a video showing you how to install the memory--in addition on Apples site:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...dDrive_DIY.pdf

there are complete instructions--the most important thing is to make sure you have the proper screwdriver---go slow---make sure there is no static--Apple site tells you how to avoid it.

and to be firm when you install the memory--you have to push rather firmly to make sure you have contact.

It is really easy to do..