Virtualiztion in Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
what do you guys think about the possibility of Leopard including virtualization technology? do you think it's just a rumor, and if it's not, would you like to see it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I wouldn't mind seeing it. Of course I wouldn't expect a license of Windows to come along but I wouldn't mind having the ability to just load up WinXP and be off and running easily.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    What I am curious about is the stuff that apple got from MS in the settlement of the windows lawsuit and can apple pull that stuff into leopard and use it!
  • Reply 3 of 51
    I think apple would be dumb to offer the ability to run Windows right in OS X. what if you get a virus that infect your mac? the way it is now, apple could say, "You used Parallels, it's a third-party program, it screwed you up." But if they're offering the program, and you get a virus, they lose all their "virus-free" credibility.

What do you think?
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Leopard will not offer this imho. I would prefer if they spend their energy on fixing the finder anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by builttospill

I think apple would be dumb to offer the ability to run Windows right in OS X. what if you get a virus that infect your mac? the way it is now, apple could say, "You used Parallels, it's a third-party program, it screwed you up." But if they're offering the program, and you get a virus, they lose all their "virus-free" credibility.

What do you think?

Because generally in virtualized environments you have plenty of seperation between the environments. There's really no way for a virus to infect the PC side and hop over to the Mac side unless you someone make this possible. Plus virtualization is already in many of the Intel motherboards. Makes sense to utilze this feature somehow.

Apple knows as Microsoft and linux that virtualization isn't something you can plunk your head in the sand and hide from. Companies are looking to increase their utilization of hardware and virtualization is key. Apple has to offer this or at least assist third parties into creating viable solutions.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    well, if you're running OS X and Windows side by side, it should be easier to copy paste files...that'd be one way to transfer a virus easily...
  • Reply 7 of 51
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

well, if you're running OS X and Windows side by side, it should be easier to copy paste files...that'd be one way to transfer a virus easily...

No, it would not. For a virus to infect an OS, it must be code-compatible with the OS. MacOS X/Intel is not code-compatible with Windows. Copying a Windows file into the Mac environment will not make it so.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

No, it would not. For a virus to infect an OS, it must be code-compatible with the OS. MacOS X/Intel is not code-compatible with Windows. Copying a Windows file into the Mac environment will not make it so.

theres also the small fact that you need an admin password to alter the system.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

...I would prefer if they spend their energy on fixing the finder anyway.

You can say that again!!! The OS X user interface needs a major overhaul! It needs to be smoothed, integrated, snappy, featurized, and feng shueied. If it doesn't get seriously overhauled it'll be way behind Vista's UI.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    well, I'm not super technical about how viruses affect OSes, but I just think that putting Windows so close to OS X would open up a world of issues. This could be a virus developers dream come true.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

You can say that again!!! The OS X user interface needs a major overhaul! It needs to be smoothed, integrated, snappy, featurized, and feng shueied. If it doesn't get seriously overhauled it'll be way behind Vista's UI.

System 6 was ahead of Vista's GUI.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

well, I'm not super technical about how viruses affect OSes, but I just think that putting Windows so close to OS X would open up a world of issues. This could be a virus developers dream come true.

So... FUD? Virtualization of Windows on a mac has been around since VPC and viruses crossing over has never been an issue.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

So... FUD? Virtualization of Windows on a mac has been around since VPC and viruses crossing over has never been an issue.

That's emulation, not virtualization. It was at fullnative speed, either.

Virtualization offers running alternative OS's at almost native speed.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

System 6 was ahead of Vista's GUI.

• Reply 15 of 51
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

That [i]emulation[/u], not virtualization. It was at fullnative speed, either.

Virtualization offers running alternative OS's at almost native speed.

And the sandbox demarcations between the OSes is even stronger in virtualization that it is in emulation. Cracking anything in one OS is not a path outside the sandbox, and cracking the virtualization layer itself is kind of hard since that is strictly a hardware layer function. And we all know you can't rearrange transistors unless you are telekinetic.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

And the sandbox demarcations between the OSes is even stronger in virtualization that it is in emulation. Cracking anything in one OS is not a path outside the sandbox, and cracking the virtualization layer itself is kind of hard since that is strictly a hardware layer function.

Good to know.

Quote:

And we all know you can't rearrange transistors unless you are telekinetic.

• Reply 17 of 51
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    It would be great to see Apple do this, it would be a boon for web developers. It could be a boon for gamers. And it could be of great benefit to any organization that likes the security of the Mac but does not like the software options available of the Mac. Maybe this is where we see the benefits of the investment Apple made when they bought a company that specializes in VLLVM or Very Low Level Virtual Machine. That would be great for investors in that Apple could open a great many doors to Fortune 500s that are having problems with Windows and security, that would be all of them. No I don't think that they will be lining up to buy but a little into that market is big for Apple. Here is hoping that I will be able to creat web pages and sites in OSX and then test them in a virtual environment.

As far as security goes, Windows would be running as any other app. OSX would have final control of memory allocation, and final control of the app itself. There are people that run VPC here on the boards and at least one guy has switched to windows and turned off all security software and opened the firewall, only to see the Windows environment compromised in less than 1 hour. OSX continued to run fine, I don't think that there are many issues here.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    I agree that virtualization could be huge for businesses that want to use macs but need some windows applications. my boss is a perfect example, he's a mac guy who's been forced to use a PC, but as soon as Parallels was released, we went out and got a MBP, and runs an XP virtual machine thru Parallels.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    1 Apple definately will not do this, no matter how nice it may sound or whether you want it or not.

2 There is no way that virtualisation of windows or linux would mean any increase in virus related risks affecting mac os x.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

1 Apple definately will not do this, no matter how nice it may sound or whether you want it or not.

I agree 100%.

I am thinking that if virtualization surfaces in OS X, it will be on the server where there is a major push for virtualization.