Possibility of Apple subnotebook (MacBook nano) and UMPC (MacPal)?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In my mind, I was thinking about the possibility of an Apple subnotebook and UMPC.

First off, I was thinking that Apple will probably replace the 12" PowerBook soon with a new 12" widescreen MacBook nano. Basically, it would be a sub-3 pounder with a ULV Core Duo, your typical ports, an ExpressCard/34 slot and SuperDrive, and a thin case. It would be priced above the MacBook but slightly below the MacBook Pro.

But due to those recent patent filings by Apple for UMPC-type designs, I have a distinct feeling that Apple will probably be introducing a UMPC product in the near future. After all, the UMPC is partially an Intel reference platform. So, let me present my idea of the MacPal.

The MacPal would be a Core 2 Duo ULV (Merom)-based UMPC running Mac OS X (obviously). Some of the features would include Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, an SDHC (SD High Capacity) slot, and a GPRS/EDGE radio for optional wireless data services (through Cingular in the US, among others). A MacPal Dock (a la Duo Dock) about the size of a Mac mini would also be available for hooking it up to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Such a product if released would probably be in the $1500-2000 (US) price range.

Could Apple do it? If so, how?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Well...you just explained how Apple could do it.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    rhodesyrhodesy Posts: 16member
    http://www.apple.com/uk/hardware/

It says Meet the Family. Now Complete.

That to me suggests that theres not gonna be any more of the current gen
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Maybe they're just talking about traditional laptops...
  • Reply 4 of 43
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    I'd snap up an Apple UMPC, and there really is no reason not to release one. Sony's offering is lovely despite its 4.5" screen.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rhodesy

I agree. It's a shame really. Apple probably would make a truely excellent subnotebook if they wished.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    yeah they should make one with integtrated graphics..

let the whining begin...
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by rhodesy

It's just marketing.

The Family may be Yonah, with Merom being a new 'Family'
  • Reply 8 of 43
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    The 'family' they are talking about is MacBook as a brand, from MacBook through to MBP 17". They can say it is complete because the G4 Powerbooks are all replaced now.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    I recall some poster here a couple of years ago going on about a chat he had with someone "in the know" at/near Apple who was saying that Apple was pursuing the following two technology/product strategies:

1. Ride the power, capacity, capability curve of the iPod up, and

2. Ride the miniaturization curve of the iBook down.

This strategy implied that at some point (still in the future) the power, capacity, capability, size and pricing of these would meet, enabling something new and different than we know today.

Perhaps this is what Microsoft has so stunningly named UMPC. Maybe "tablet". Maybe SuperPod. Whatever.

The point is this...if you look at the "baby steps" and what Apple is doing with iBook/MacBook and iPod perhaps it is not too outrageous to draw some "trajectory lines" into the future.

But, Apple will continue to do this in "baby steps" for a couple of reasons:

1. The (combined) technology (size, power, battery life, cost, etc.) is not ready yet to make it great.

2. Human interface work needs to be done (and evolved) over time. iPod doesn't scale to a full PC or PDA functionality (yet) and the Microsoft solution of just scaling down the Windows UI to a smaller screen is sub-optimal (at best). Apple will be thinking simplicity, ease of use, efficiency, elegance here.

3. Apple can sell many products that are less than this "nirvana" over the next several years to stay in business.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I agree with Chris the technology isn't there yet! I would say apple will bring out something like a tablet with a fully touchscreen interface in 2008 or 2009.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    pepedluxpepedlux Posts: 9member
    The real sticking point here is innovation. We all know that Apple could shove a miniature Mac package into a small case much in the same manner as Sony has done with their UMPC, but there is a HUGE interface problem. That problem is that 1) it is highly inefficient to type with your thumbs, and 2) a pretty big screen is required to on a full time portable. So while the idea and the technology innovations put into the new UMPCs is definetely nifty, it still doesn't create a portable that is sensible for every day use in the business world.

Now Apple is all about innovation, and I'm fairly sure that until they know that they've created a product that solves this dilemma and solves it stylishly, they won't release diddly. The only real step that can be taken (and I'd be ready to bet that Apple is already there) is to put together a think-tank that will try and innovate a way around these human interface problems. It's not gonna be easy, but then again, if it was, technology would be boring as hell.

-PepeDLux
  • Reply 12 of 43
    I don't see UMPC as a business tool, actually nor does MS with its Origami concept of it, it is a consumer tablet.

I'd use one out and about - MacBook Pro is great but not that portable - for blogging, web access, email etc anywhere. Sure it's a gadget, but it's a cool one.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    11" Glossy Screen

1.06/1.20 Ghz U1300/U1400 Ultra Low Voltage Core Duo

40 GB 1.8" HDD

1 GB DDR2 RAM (one Slot)

Integrated Graphics

Full Sized Keyboard(like 12" PB)/Touch Screen

Wireless/BT

Ultra lightweight

Longest Battery life

MacBook Nano/iNewton/Mac PDA

it will be nice!, they can produce something extra ordinary compared to existing sub notebooks and PDAs
  • Reply 14 of 43
    If Apple did go with it, I think they'd name it the MacBook mini rather than MacBook nano. It would be a fitting name, as Apple would then have their desktops and notebooks in pairs.

Mac Mini - MacBook Mini

iMac - MacBook

MacPro - MacBook Pro

I do think Apple should come out with a smaller notebook. The MacBook doesn't perfectly replace the 12" PB and 12" iBook in my opinion because it's considerably bigger. It doesn't have to be diminutive per se, maybe an 11" widescreen with a MacBook-style keyboard (except all packed together), smaller hard drive, etc.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    zappyzappy Posts: 9member
    A MacBook mini would fit nicely into Apples product structure. Unfortunately it would mess up the price structure since I do not think it could be priced lower than the MacBook.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by zappy

A MacBook mini would fit nicely into Apples product structure. Unfortunately it would mess up the price structure since I do not think it could be priced lower than the MacBook.

That would be okay as subnotebooks are traditionally not low price. It would fit between MB & MBP in price, which is fine, look at Sony's UMPC.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I agree, 11" widescreen, sounds good. Sort of like the 12" PB but just a bit smaller. 1.8" is also a good idea, as they have lots of access to this size drive. Just use iPod hard drives! No bezel around the screen or keyboard. Perhaps some high quality battery that gets more juice per square inch so it can be smaller, and so they can still cram an optical drive in. Low voltage Duo if possible, that'd be sick. I'd want one. If I get a sweet job I'd buy one too. And then my wife would yell at me.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Yeah but with a 10.2" wide screen, a micro HD (ala iPod size) and/or that new RAM drive technology stuff.

Could happen !!
  • Reply 19 of 43
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NVRsayNVR

Yeah but with a 10.2" wide screen, a micro HD (ala iPod size) and/or that new RAM drive technology stuff.

Could happen !!

Finally, someone I can agree with! 11" is to big.

Subnotebook is a need they need to fill.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    nvrsaynvrnvrsaynvr Posts: 64member
    You got two sold Apple! Build em