Creative Zen Vision : M

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So Ive been hearing that this is better than the 30gb iPod Video. Does any one have the Creative player? I want to know if its worth getting this over the new iPod. Right now, I am MP3 playerless as my iPod was stolen. I have both a Mac and a PC, would the Creative Player only work on my PC or is there anyway to make it work on a Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

So Ive been hearing that this is better than the 30gb iPod Video. Does any one have the Creative player? I want to know if its worth getting this over the new iPod. Right now, I am MP3 playerless as my iPod was stolen. I have both a Mac and a PC, would the Creative Player only work on my PC or is there anyway to make it work on a Mac?

Get an iPod, much better, the creative is not as good, my friend has one and he keeps wanting to use my iPod. Plus you cannot beat the iPod/iTunes integration and the iPod cool factor. Enought said!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Ya the only reason Im really thinking of the Creative is because of my last 2 iPods (one a 20gb Reg, one a 30gb Photo) one broke, and one was stolen. But they are very good working, hopefully there wont be any problems.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I saw a completely unbiased report in which the iPod won the group test. I work in a store that sells both and both have their problems - we get a few faulty iPods back, but Creatives also seem to have a problem with the FM radio disappearing from the main screen, not working after a firmware update etc. It's swings and roundabouts, but I'd go for the iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    chirhochirho Posts: 50member
    creatives require no software. simply drag and drop music and then save a playlist in the required folder (e.g. on my muvo i save an .m3u in the folder "PLAYLISTS"). this could however be a disadvantage if you like to synch with your media software as you would with iPods.

the creative muvo:m, has a slighty longer battery life in both music and video playback. it also offers a greater range of support for video extensions.

creatives are like external harddrives. there is no hacking or software needed to access the files within. simply plug into a mac/pc and copy/paste what you want.

i have been using a creative mp3 player for the past 3 years on both pc's and macs seamlessly. i have also had extensive use of the new vid ipod. i hope this helps
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I take apple over creative. The thing is this Creative M thing is really good and has more to offer than the iPod, but I know several of my friends have had problems with their Creative MP3 players. The thing is creative doesnt offer a media store with video content. Plus, alot of companies make things specifically for iPods. Stay with Apple, and if you still are not sure, just give it sometime and have the new iPod amaze you. Then creative can knock that one off too. haha
  • Reply 6 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Creatives also seem to have a problem with the FM radio disappearing from the main screen

Funny, I think my iPod has that problem as well!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    anyone here tried the Sandisk Sansa e250/e260/e270 ? now that apple kicked PortalPlayer these ones got a PortalPlayer Chip inside. it would be nice to know if the player is as good as (or better than) the nano.

thx

krassy
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ry-garry-gar Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Funny, I think my iPod has that problem as well!

Indeed.

Completely ridiculous that you have to buy some overpriced clunky add-on accessory to have FM radio capability in a $2,3,400 iPod.

That, the extreme scratchabilty and general fragility of the impractical design(s)and the annoying interface of iTunes and the way you cannot simply and easily manage files and folders of music on your iPod *directly* are what keep me from buying one.

I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably get an Oregon Scientific or other non-Apple MP3 player that has a RADIO, won't break if you sneeze on it and allows you to just use it like a f*cking hard drive, load and unload at will by drag/drop and get on with your life!

Just my 2 cents. I do love Apple and I do like the way the iPods look, at least while they are new and not saturated with fingerprints and scratches. \
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I've two iPod (a 2G and 5G), and I've never had any problem with them. My half-brother has a black nano, and his sister a shuffle.

I'm just happy I can look at photos, videos, and listen to music. Then again, I don't listen to much radio because it seems I get tired of the songs faster.

All I now is, if Apple made an iPod with phone capability or vice-versa, I'd get one in a minute.

• Reply 10 of 19
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ry-gar

I haven't decided yet, but I'll probably get an Oregon Scientific or other non-Apple MP3 player that has a RADIO, won't break if you sneeze on it and allows you to just use it like a f*cking hard drive, load and unload at will by drag/drop and get on with your life!

Just my 2 cents. I do love Apple and I do like the way the iPods look, at least while they are new and not saturated with fingerprints and scratches. \

I have a radio for OTA and an iPod for my library. I don't want to pay for the extra circuitry and QA.

And for breaking, didn't Ars have to run over the iPod (with a car) twice and throw it about 30 feet into the air to get it to finally break? Or how about the Nanos and Shuffles that have gone through the wash & dry cycles and still run after recharging. Who gives a crap about scratches when they will still run after abuse like that.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    my 3g ipod works great as an external hard drive. i have an imovie project on it right now. do ipods not do this anymore?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

my 3g ipod works great as an external hard drive. i have an imovie project on it right now. do ipods not do this anymore?

You mean act as a hard drive? If so, then yes.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I mean act as a hard drive, in the sense that I can simply have a set of folders organized by band name or playlist on my MP3 player that I can easily open and see from the computer and copy to/from with no annoying software getting in the way and no 3rd party solutions required.

No 27 folder deep folder hierarchies on my computer HD. No hidden file nonsense.

I really wish Apple could have bought Audion and based iTunes on IT instead of SoundJam, which was completely horrible and isn't much better even in it's Nth incarnation as iTunes.

Sometimes Apple overcomplicates things in the process of simplifying them.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Also, discounting the value of an FM/AM radio is silly, IMO. It would add very little to the cost I would think and more people would use it than wouldn't IMO.

How hard would it be to integrate an AM/FM (even add TV audio option)?

Maybe even a partnership with satellite radio at some point?

I'm not knocking Apple. I love Apple and I want to go with the Apple product here, but Apple makes it hard to do that sometimes....
  • Reply 15 of 19
    rustedborgrustedborg Posts: 151member
    This is probably a stupid question but...

Are the Creative Zen MP3 players compatible with iTunes?

My sister has one that she uses with a stupid MP3 subscription service and she asked me if she could switch to iTunes and still use her Zen player. I told her that I thought iTunes only works with iPods, but it sounds like that might not be the case.

Can you use iTunes with non-iPod music players?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    iTunes might recognize it, but iTMS files won't play on it.

Interestingly enough, I think there was a review of a Zen mp3 player in MacWorld magazine.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    That's it! That's the key! Some people just don't know how to let iTunes organize the music files, that's why they hate the iPod. They're stuck in the dark ages. I was this way too once, I always organized my mp3s in files and folders and didn't like the idea of letting iTunes do it for me. But it's silly not too! Once you just realize that you don't ever need to enter your "Music" folder and simply access all the files from iTunes you're fine! To all the naysayers, name ONE advantage of organizing your music in folders manually over letting iTunes do it?

Just let iTunes work the way it was designed to and you'll be better off for it.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

iTunes might recognize it, but iTMS files won't play on it.

Interestingly enough, I think there was a review of a Zen mp3 player in MacWorld magazine.

iTunes will most certainly not recognize it. As my relatives of yore would say - "Poppycock!"

It's interesting, I filter reviews for two online retail sites and those writing in about the Zen Vision : M spend most of their review writing about how it, and I quote, "blows the iPod out of the water".

First - what's the iPod doing in the water?

Secondly - when did this become a Russel Crow High Seas Adventure?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

iTunes will most certainly not recognize it. As my relatives of yore would say - "Poppycock!"

It's interesting, I filter reviews for two online retail sites and those writing in about the Zen Vision : M spend most of their review writing about how it, and I quote, "blows the iPod out of the water".

First - what's the iPod doing in the water?

Secondly - when did this become a Russel Crow High Seas Adventure?

Thanks for the correction.