Apple Store shoppers rescued from glass elevator

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The New York City Police Department on Thursday was called to the site of Apple's flamboyant new retail shop to rescue a group of students that had become stuck inside store's glass-encapsulated elevator system.

The six students were visiting Manhattan as part of a school trip, one wrote in a blog posting about the incident. She said all but herself wound up stuck inside the captivating gizmo for about 45 minutes while the police were called to the scene.

As the students waited to be rescued, Apple Store employees used step-stools to slip bottles of water through the elevator's erratically opening and closing doors. All the students eventually exited safely once police leaked the hydraulic lines, though some were reported to have received minor burns.

The elevator is part of the $9 million 32-foot glass cube that rests atop the new Apple store in the plaza of the General Motors building on Fifth Avenue. It's wrapped by a circular staircase -- also made of glass -- that takes patrons to the 20,000-square-foot subterranean retail space.

According to reports, the cube was designed and paid for by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. In fact, it's also been reported that Jobs demanded he be able to keep the structure at the end of the store's twenty-year lease (though he must replace it with a "comparable structure" before hauling it off).

The Fifth Avenue Apple Store elevator is now "out of order," according to tipsters who swung by location this holiday weekend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, if Bill Gates had built this elevator it would have worked...after version 6!
  • Reply 2 of 77
    I think Steve just wanted his very own exotic fishbowl. "Look Mom, brown haired southeastern tourists!" "tap, tap, tap." "Don't tap on the glass dear, you'll frighten them." "I hear where they come from they don't have an Apple store for 1,000 miles, poor things."
  • Reply 3 of 77
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I guess getting claustrophobic in a glass elevator would be something new.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    thejoshuthejoshu Posts: 11member
    Was there the Sunday afternoon after the store opened -- the elevator was working when we entered, but by the time we were leaving the Otis repairman was riding up and down in it trying to get it to work. Buggy!
  • Reply 5 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not the kind of publicity we need, Steve.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I've been wondering how long it would take before this happened.

Anyone who isn't disabled and gets stuck on an elevator that they took instead of walking a single flight of stairs got exactly what they deserved, IMHO.

Although these kids probably just took the elevator to see how "COOL" it was.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Paging David Blaine...
  • Reply 8 of 77
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Why did the police do this? Surely the Apple Store has a 24-hour service contract with Otis. Even if the contract covers only normal business hours, paying for an elevator mechanic to come in is less expensive than the damage the police likely caused getting the people out.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    I don't think those people trapped would have any kinky action like normal "trapped in the elevator" situations...
  • Reply 10 of 77
    zac4maczac4mac Posts: 37member
    This is completely OT, but I couldn't help myself after reading "Former Lurker"'s title,

I live near Boulder and saw a bumper sticker a few years back that cracked me up...

Jerry's dead

Fish sucks

Get a job

Don't get me wrong - love the Dead, Anastasio rocks(but I think Fish is a little weird), really love Widespread Panic...

Z
  • Reply 11 of 77
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Anyone who isn't disabled and gets stuck on an elevator that they took instead of walking a single flight of stairs got exactly what they deserved, IMHO.

IMHOYOS*. How about families with infants in strollers, a person with asthma, etc. If you'd like to take the stairs, that's up to you. To think that you can impose your opinions on others makes you an elitist, just from the other side.

*In My Humble Opinion Your Opinion Sucks.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

IMHOYOS*. How about families with infants in strollers, a person with asthma, etc. If you'd like to take the stairs, that's up to you. To think that you can impose your opinions on others makes you an elitist, just from the other side.

*In My Humble Opinion Your Opinion Sucks.

Not that humble of an opinion...

While you are right about certain people needing it, these kids didn't have any infants and although I don't know for sure but I doubt any of them had any medical conditions that wouldn't allow them to scale one flight of stairs. Keep in mind he didn't mention those with disablities.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    uhh.. riding the glass elevator is simply more fun.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

Not that humble of an opinion...

While you are right about certain people needing it, these kids didn't have any infants and although I don't know for sure but I doubt any of them had any medical conditions that wouldn't allow them to scale one flight of stairs. Keep in mind he didn't mention those with disablities.

He said "Anyone".
  • Reply 15 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

He said "Anyone".

in all likelihood, the OP meant 'anyone who doesn't have a good reason for circumventing a flight of stairs', which i would say includes the people you mentioned (and a few others most likely).

but i'd agree with the OP, aside from maybe a one time 'hey this might be a fun elevator to ride', it's remarkably lazy to ride an elevator to move up/down a single flight. i mean really, which do you think is faster?
  • Reply 16 of 77
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    C'mon fellers......

"People who take elevators one floor are lazy" doesn't make any sense when the elevator in question is round and glass and moves through the middle of a glass staircase between a glass cube and an Apple store.

Were I to visit the Apple store in Manhattan I would almost certainly take the elevator at least once, to check it out. Wouldn't you?
  • Reply 17 of 77
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    i hope they got a discount or free product demo for the inconvience.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Thats it. I'm visiting a Dell store.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    I think we all know how they really got out of the elevator...gotta love Chuck Norris...a dear friend of Steve from what I hear.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Thats it. I'm visiting a Dell store.

You have to pay extra for their elevator, and it's made of ugly plastic.