What do you expect for June and July?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    edit
  • Reply 42 of 72
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I think we are missing one of the bigger messages here even though you guys have mentioned the chips for it...

APPLE IN FULL TRANSITION TO 64-BIT with LEOPARD + MEROM/CONROE/WOODCREST to be put in all new Macs.

Full 64-BIT across the lineup is going to be a big part of the WWDC message.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Yes but WWDC isn't the release of Leopard I don't think. I think it's a preview, and we'll probably get a possible timeframe on it's final release at that point. Maybe MWSF, or hopefully before Xmas?

APPLE IN FULL TRANSITION isn't the big thing either. They have been in a BIGGER FULL TRANSITION to intel for the past year. You can only beat that FULL TRANSITION drum so loud before people tire of hearing it. Even if it is different, people hear the same thing so It's essentially old news. The 64 BIT transition happened years ago with the G5 anyway. You can't run that race again.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

The 64 BIT transition happened years ago with the G5 anyway. You can't run that race again.

Ah, but the Reality Distortion Field says otherwise...

• Reply 45 of 72
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

For sure...look no further than the WebKit SVN logs to know that 64-bit versions of apps are being worked on. We're definitely getting 64-bit support beyond the CLI with Leopard.

Grand times.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Yes but WWDC isn't the release of Leopard I don't think. I think it's a preview, and we'll probably get a possible timeframe on it's final release at that point. Maybe MWSF, or hopefully before Xmas?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply a release of Leopard, but Leopard spec will finally be detailed for developers at WWDC. My understanding is that Leopard will be released in January, but of course the latter is based on nothing but rumors.

Isn't Leopard probably going to be the first Mac OS that will have full 64-bit support (while still having the code to support those of us with Yonahs and other 32-bit processors)?
  • Reply 47 of 72
    I'm betting on a 2006 leopard release, just to piss off Microsoft. They want to get Leopard out before Vista is offered to consumers (somewhere in the first Quarter, according to Ballmer). Apple previewed Tiger at MWSF '05 and released in March or April, right? Preview in August, release in early December (before the 16th), and make the news. Steve can be like "Congrats Ballmer, you caught up to Tiger, which is so 2005."
  • Reply 48 of 72
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Steve can be like "Congrats Ballmer, you caught up to Tiger, which is so 2005."

That's if Ballmer is still CEO. Rumor has it that people want him and Alchin overthrown.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

I'm betting on a 2006 leopard release

That would really be a shocker, but after the January surprise Intel rollout, I would never say never.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:

That would really be a shocker, but after the January surprise Intel rollout, I would never say never.

Would it? Last I heard, it's targetted 06Q4-07Q1, so I don't think December 2006 is unreasonable. Tiger launched 3 months after it's preview, right? And Leopard seems to be on track, as Boot Camp beta was pre-released.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

I'm skeptical of the benefit of 64-bit. The G5 is 64-bit, yet only a few apps like Mathematica used it. Plus, triple-fat or quad-fat binaries are kinda bloated.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

I'd like a USB2 keyboard with backlighting.

Seconded. Damn useful for working late at night.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    Do you guys think the Macbook will get updated? I'm thinking of buying one, but I may consider waiting if there will be updates (hopefully a better GPU)
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by djmb

Do you guys think the Macbook will get updated? I'm thinking of buying one, but I may consider waiting if there will be updates (hopefully a better GPU)

Whatever GPU it has, you can pretty much bet it will still be integrated. It's one of the few ways Apple has of differentiating their pro lines which is a shame. Still, thank God, no Celerons...
  • Reply 55 of 72
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Whatever GPU it has, you can pretty much bet it will still be integrated. It's one of the few ways Apple has of differentiating their pro lines which is a shame. Still, thank God, no Celerons...

Yup I don't expect to see discrete graphics in a Macbook for years. I'm kind of surprised that people didn't know that integrated graphics were the standard for this level of laptop.

However Broadwater (G965) motherboards will bring much more hardware accelerated features to IG including HW Transform and Lighting and support for Shader Model 3 and 4 and OpenGL 2.0. That sounds mighty fine to me compared to G950 based IG of today.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    MacPro

Mac (minitower)

Widescreen touchscreen ipod with wifi/bt2

Cinema Displays

• Reply 57 of 72
    useroneuserone Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

That 'One More Thing' has become so predictable, it ain't even funny more.

(on page 1)

...two more things \
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

That 'One More Thing' has become so predictable, it ain't even funny more.

It might be predictable, but it's a good advertising/publicity tool. On the other hand, it would be nice if he changed it up a bit.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    I'd like to see Mac Mini speed bumps, particularly to the low end one.. the single core chip looks pretty poor now. And hopefully, maybe an update to the iMac too.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    I'm holding off on my mac mini purchase because I think they will be upgraded (quietly) to 2.0 processors with 1Gig of RAM sometime in June, in order to catch up with the MacBook . . .