Mac OSX + Macromedia Director MX question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

I own a iMac G5, Director MX and am looking at getting something like a 32-Channel 5A SPDT RS-232 Relay Controller

What I want to do is make a 'interactive movie' in Director and control things like lights

The product I have in question (working with Director) is a 32 channel Realy board

http://www.controlanything.com/Merch..._Code=32-RELAY

If not this product does anyone know where I can get a relay board (16 -to- 32 relays) with USB that would work with Director MX/Mac OSX

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Hi M.O.S.T.,

I'm very interested in any replies you get (although I'm unable to offer much advice). We have students who currently use hacked usb keyboards to control external devices and use the keyboard trapping lingo to access those devices. Our budget doesn't really stretch to much so that's why we're chopping up old keyboards lying around!

This is an area that fascinates me as during my Fine Art Degree I used to use a Mac IIx and Director 3 to control virtually anything I could think of - sensors, presure pads, lasers, lights, video devices - even synths. My last project on the course involved fitting pressure pads under the auditorium floor connected to a Mac via a serial port MIDI box. Director then generated a whale and random whale sounds which were then projected onto all walls. Basically the whale would follow you wherever you went - if you kept going over old ground then the sounds would get harsher. Back then since Macs had serial ports you could simply create any A/D converter circuit and use a free xtra (or in Hypercard XCommand) to listen and send through the serial port. Although you can do something similar using a Griffin imate which gives you a serial port unfortunately the old xtras no longer work (with MX) and there seems to be a dearth of new ones.

If anyone has any input on MOST's question I'd also be interested!