Vinyl skins for MacBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok...so Apple didn't release an aluminum professional-looking replacement for the 12" PowerBook... While many people think the black option is perfect for them, I know there are others who aren't fully satisfied. I'm happy for those who are overjoyed with the black option and the purpose of this post is not to put down those who like it in any way. That said, my problems with it are listed below (there's nothing new here that hasn't already been said in the forums, but it's a summary)

a) $150 seems like too much extra for something that is still plastic

b) i visited the apple store after only a week and fingerprints and grease-spots were very visible on the black. I don't want to be constantly trying to wipe and clean my case...

c) white accessories...if i'm paying extra, they might as well make it look like black was not an afterthought

d) it reminds me too much of my old Wallstreet and Pismo PowerBooks.

I just ordered up a white MacBook 2.0, because I need a new laptop smaller than 15" now (spending an extra $400 aftermarket for 2GB of RAM and a 120GB 2.5" SATA hard drive), and it seems likely that apple is going to ignore the professional subnotebook market for the near-future.

I'm not particularly fond of the "white iBook" styling, and wondering if anyone else thinks a dark matte brushed metal "skin" would look good, if placed on the lid (with the apple logo cut out of course) and on the top-case section surrounding the keyboard.

I found a website http://www.decalgirl.com that seems to make these vinyl decals similar to what I'd be looking for. They currently make skins for Mac minis, XBox and PS2s, and if there was enough interest, perhaps they'd start making a kit for the MacBook. From the prices on their site for the PS2 kits, which I think would use about the same amount of material, they would probably cost about $20-30.

If you read about the skins on the site, it sounds like they would work really well for the job, and provide some protection from scratching that could mar the finish of the MacBook...you could just replace the skin cheaply if your tastes changed, as they are repositionable and do not leave any residue. And looking at the front panel XBox skins, it looks like they could create a template that hugs the curves of the macbook very closely.

What are other people's experiences with this type of product? Is it possible to make a vinyl surface look like metal and not just grey plastic? Would anyone else be interested in trying to talk them into a template too (once they have a template they can do custom printing of artwork if that's your bag).

-natec

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    natecnatec Posts: 19member
    Ok, so I know it's dumb to reply to your own post...but I found some skins for 15" Aluminum PowerBooks at this site:

PowerBook skins

And here's one in Brushed Metal . I'm not sure I like the look of it as much as I thought I might, at least online.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hmm...

i almost like the 'green aura', 'abstract dream', 'blue butterfly', 'raindrop',& the 'graffiti' (all 17" designs)

and i really like the 'green frog'

don't know if i'd ever care enough to buy it, though.

maybe... but it really is not likely.

i, personally, wouldn't go for one that attempts to imitate the look of metal. i always think things like that end up looking really fake and kind of cheesy - but that just comes down to personal taste/preference.

looks like you found what you were looking for

if it's what you're into, you should get it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They really should come back with colors. What are they retarded? Why did the ipod mini sell? It came in colors. Ditto the iMac. HALF the reason iMacs were a hit, and saved Apple's ASS, was they came in color. Black and white isn't "color"ful. I want a Key Lime MacBook!! Or something. Anything but white. Color me!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

They really should come back with colors. What are they retarded? Why did the ipod mini sell? It came in colors. Ditto the iMac. HALF the reason iMacs were a hit, and saved Apple's ASS, was they came in color. Black and white isn't "color"ful. I want a Key Lime MacBook!! Or something. Anything but white. Color me!

I somewhat agree.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    untsiguntsig Posts: 47member
    yeah i'd like to see some more colors as well

i'm still a sucker for black on pretty much everything (esp. cars)

but i would like to see some variety.

a dark or royal blue would prolly look good as well.

plus with more options there'd be fewer ppl w/ the exact same computer as me lol.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    I would probably buy a solid black skin for the top of the case (on a white macbook). That's the only part that needs to be black anyway, in my opinion.

They have it in powerbook sizes: http://www.welovemacs.com/pb12sldblk.html
  • Reply 7 of 9
    natecnatec Posts: 19member
    iToppers.com and MacStyles.com both plan on having skins available for the MacBooks within the next few weeks as well.

MacStyles.com can do some pretty cool things with their skins, and they also do skins for the trackpad/palmrest area.

-natec
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ry-garry-gar Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I'd love to see a return to colors too. I can understand why they might not, since it is an inventory nightmare.

Even MORE than colors though, I'd LOVE to see a return to MATTE PLASTICS that are DURABLE.

I miss the sturdy, practical construction of my 1st gen Tangerine iBook, to be honest.

The glossy WHITE everything needs to DIE. Enough swirlmarks. Enough of needing damn aftermarket vinyl skins and wrapping your iBook in two soft pillowcases just to keep it free of scratchmarks.

White is DULL. Glossy, scratch-prone plastics SUCK. Metal dents too easily and feels hard and cold to the touch.

Enough, Ive.

Quit fucking about and build these machines out of practical materials that feel good beneath the palms and wrists and don't look like shit with dents and scratches after 3 months of average road warrior use.

/rant
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ry-garry-gar Posts: 23member
    ...and NO, selling one single model of iBook with a practical finish (matte black) at a $400 premium, isn't what I'm talking about.

How about making one $1500 glossy model for people who like waxing and polishing their iBook for 2 hours a week and matte finish for everyone else who actually USES their machine?