I'm new at this

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm hesitant to post a new topic, but my questions aren't answered anywhere else that I can see. Within the next day or two my new Macbook w/2.0ghz processor will arrive. I have a few dilemas that I am trying to prepare to face. This will be my first Mac computer and I have two questions that relate to switching between Windows and Mac.

1. How would I go about transferring the data I have stored on my family's old Windows computer. It's a Dell Dimension. The type of files I want to transfer are pictures and music from iTunes. I have most of this backed up on cds but I figured it would probably be faster to somehow transfer all that directly rather than importing it all to my Macbook.

2. As I mentioned, I have iTunes, along with that I have two iPods (4gb iPod mini and a 4gb iPod nano). I would like to know how I would reformat both of those for Mac or if I even have to do anything besides connect them to my Mac. Both have the latest updates.

I'm sorry if these questions are dumb but I would really appreciate help. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: One more quick question, does one need gigabit ethernet to use airport extreme/express?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    The easy way to import the music and pictures would be to use the backup CDs. What would be the quickest way depends on how many backup CDs you have. If you have Gigs of data you can create a share either on the Windows or Mac systems and copy or import across the network.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I have about 4gb of music and about 800mb of photos. I also don't have a network. So am I correct in assuming to import across the network I would have to purchase some sort of USB cable?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    If your dell has a network card(which it probbally does), then you have a network work. You just need to connect a cable from the mac to the dell and configure your network settings. Although, 800 Meg is 2 CD's and 4 Gig is about 4 CDs. It might be quicker to use the CD's.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    To make that a little more clear...

You'll need an Ethernet cable, not a USB cable. Doesn't matter if it's a standard or crossover (you might have someone try and convince you that one or the other is needed), the Mac will figure it out for you.

Plug the cable into each machine's Ethernet port (looks like a fat phone jack).

Someone else here can help you with the Windows end of things, (do they have ZeroConf/Bonjour as a regular feature yet? That'd make it a lot easier...) but on the Mac side, (after you have it set up), you can just go to System Preferences -> Sharing and check the box for Windows Sharing.

From your Windows machine, you'll see you Mac show up as a networked computer. You can then mount the Mac on the Dell, and drag and drop your files onto it.

Just in case, you know, you have other files you want to move too.

Your iPod will work on the Mac, no reformatting needed.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

To make that a little more clear...

You'll need an Ethernet cable, not a USB cable. Doesn't matter if it's a standard or crossover (you might have someone try and convince you that one or the other is needed), the Mac will figure it out for you.

Plug the cable into each machine's Ethernet port (looks like a fat phone jack).

Someone else here can help you with the Windows end of things, (do they have ZeroConf/Bonjour as a regular feature yet? That'd make it a lot easier...) but on the Mac side, (after you have it set up), you can just go to System Preferences -> Sharing and check the box for Windows Sharing.

From your Windows machine, you'll see you Mac show up as a networked computer. You can then mount the Mac on the Dell, and drag and drop your files onto it.

Just in case, you know, you have other files you want to move too.

Your iPod will work on the Mac, no reformatting needed.

Ok that's very helpful. After I posted and left the forum last night i realized my mistake. I have about 10 cds of photos which puts me at about 8gb of photos. I do realize that the music isn't a lot, but most of my cds are albums so they have 10 or 12 songs on them. How much will an ethernet cable cost me?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I have some bad news. I bought an ethernet cable and then tried to plug it into the Dell tower. There is no ethernet port. The computer is that old. So am I stuck with importing all my files?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

I have some bad news. I bought an ethernet cable and then tried to plug it into the Dell tower. There is no ethernet port. The computer is that old. So am I stuck with importing all my files?

You can always buy a cheap ethernet card and install it in the old PC... I think they're only about $20, if that.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

You can always buy a cheap ethernet card and install it in the old PC... I think they're only about $20, if that.

I really don't think that buying a ethernet card just for that is too wise, even they are very cheap. Unless you think you might want to connect your computers more than once. Can you format one of your ipods so that you can use it to transfer your files. Apple's switch site has good advices how to do the switch, even though I think that move2mac software is way too expensive, so I wouldn't go there.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    iPods behave as external harddrives as well as music players by default.. Just copy the files onto your iPod (after you've made space) in windows then disconnect, plug into the mac and transfer..
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

iPods behave as external harddrives as well as music players by default.. Just copy the files onto your iPod (after you've made space) in windows then disconnect, plug into the mac and transfer..

Hmmm I can do that easy enough. At least I can still use the ethernet cord for internet access.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Success! Thank you for all your help. I have all my files on my Mac and I will never have to touch the family PC again.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

Success! Thank you for all your help. I have all my files on my Mac and I will never have to touch the family PC again.

Congrat, ...

...well i am to late to pitch in some helpful bits anyway.