can you fit a 7200 rpm harddrive in a new MacBook???

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    OWC sells a kit for about $12 that has all the screwdrivers that you would need to replace memory or the hard drive on the Macbook
  • Reply 22 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Given the reports of the excessive dissipated heat of the MB, you might want to rethink adding yet another heat source. There might be thermal reasons why they don't offer a 7200rpm drive...

The extra heat by a faster notebook drive is negligible at best. The T series Core Duo is rated for up to 31W, a 7200 RPM notebook drive is 2.5W max.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    maccabeamaccabea Posts: 15member
    ok everyone. i'm going to the Apple store to buy my White Macbook (the 2.0ghz with superdrive) next friday. i'm going to place an order on a hard drive tonight so i have it by next week. my plan is to upgrade the HD right away!

will this work?? --->

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822146231

also, this is my first mac AND laptop...so i'm totally new to this thing. you think i'll be able to install the HD easily myself?

now, MOST IMPORTANTLY! Will installing my own hard drive void my AppleCare plan?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maccabea

ok everyone. i'm going to the Apple store to buy my White Macbook (the 2.0ghz with superdrive) next friday. i'm going to place an order on a hard drive tonight so i have it by next week. my plan is to upgrade the HD right away!

will this work?? --->

also, this is my first mac AND laptop...so i'm totally new to this thing. you think i'll be able to install the HD easily myself?

now, MOST IMPORTANTLY! Will installing my own hard drive void my AppleCare plan?

1. No, you need a Sata (PATA) notebook hard drive. Also, that's just 'bigger' you might consider 'faster' too, as in getting a 7200rpm.

2. Yes, its pretty smokin' easy.

3. Only if you fux0r something up, which you'd really have to try hard and use a hammer or something like a crowbar.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:

will this work?? --->

It won't work. You need a notebook drive that is SATA. The drive you linked is the older ATA standard.

You cannot void the Applecare warranty by upgrading it yourself, but if you break anything, then you will have to pay for the repairs.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    axc51axc51 Posts: 98member
    Quote:

will this work?? --->

I'm not sure if that HD will work. I believe the Macbook takes SATA 2.5" drives... I can't tell if the one you linked to is SATA or not. If it is, then yes it'll work. Also, yes you can install the HD pretty easily on the Macbooks, assuming you have the right tools. And finally, installing your own hard drive will NOT void the Applecare warranty, as long as you any problems you may have in the future are not HD related (or due to your installation).
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by axc51

I'm not sure if that HD will work. I believe the Macbook takes SATA 2.5" drives... I can't tell if the one you linked to is SATA or not. If it is, then yes it'll work. Also, yes you can install the HD pretty easily on the Macbooks, assuming you have the right tools. And finally, installing your own hard drive will NOT void the Applecare warranty, as long as you any problems you may have in the future are not HD related (or due to your installation).

I see what you mean. After looking into it, I do see that drive will not work with the Macbook. I saw that Seagate has a 100GB drive compatible with the Macbook, but I need as much space as possible...perferably 120.

So, could anyone let me know which HD (Manufacturer/Model) Apple puts in the Macbook with the 120GB HD?

Also..what are the "right tools" you spoke of for installing the HD 8)

..And thanks everyone for the help! I'd be so lost if it wasn't for all the useful info spread on here
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Go on to Other World Computing--they have two hard drives that will fit the Macbook--both are 100GB but run FAST

They can recommend a 120GB I'm sure--

they also have a video to show you how install it

they also sell a kit that contains the screwdrivers you need--for$12

On the apple site there are instruction too to tell you how to install the hard drive

It is easy
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Also..what are the "right tools" you spoke of for installing the HD 8)

The only unusual tool for MacBook hard drive replacement is a #0 Phillips screwdriver. You will find it in any "jeweler's" screwdriver kit, available at any hardware store worth its welcome mat.

Read these instructions first:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...dDrive_DIY.pdf
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

So, could anyone let me know which HD (Manufacturer/Model) Apple puts in the Macbook with the 120GB HD?

Here's the link to the OWC webpage... the first three HDs should work fine.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-.../2.5-Notebook/
  • Reply 31 of 41
    natecnatec Posts: 19member
    Quote:

The 120GB drive is probably the 5400RPM Seagate Momentus 5400.2.

The actual drive product number you're searching for is ST9120821AS.

A quick search of some shopping sites yielded this list of stores and prices.

http://geek.pricegrabber.com/search_...terid=10598364

I would have liked to order the drive from OWC along with my RAM, (macsales.com) but they didn't have the drive listed on their website.

I ordered from computergiants.com when the price was $175 shipped before it jumped, but I'm not recommending them now because the drive "supposedly" shipped 2 days ago, but I called them today to get a tracking number because it wasn't showing up on their website, and they said they had to "call the warehouse" and would email it to me. That email hasn't arrived, and this afternoon when I call back, "all of their customer service representatives are away from their desks or assisting other customers". My Macbook arrives tomorrow and i don't have a drive to put in it...

So, in short, DON'T ORDER FROM COMPUTERGIANTS.COM!!!
  • Reply 32 of 41
    thank you all soooo much for the feedback, links, help, etc. I watched that installation video from OWC and it does look quite simple!

And also, thanks for the heads up on not to buy from computergiants. i really hope you get your drive soon, natec

now, one more question! (sorry to be a pest!)

I'm really wanting to stick with Seagate...my boyfriend's dad works for them and I'd feel like a traitor if I bought from another manufacturer, cause he'll be asking me what I got and all... haha.

So will this one work in the MacBook? -->http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=S9120821AS

And is eWiz a reliable place to order from?

Thanks again everyone!
  • Reply 33 of 41
    I don't personally know about e wiz--but I do know about Other World Computing--and they are reliable

If you call them, I'm sure they can sell you a Seagate 120MB that will work for you--they may be more expensive, but they are reliable. That is, if Seagate makes them-that will fit in the Macbook-I know they sell Seagate hard drives.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Regarding tools--you might check but in addition to the Phillps screwdriver, you might need a torx screwdriver--check it out before you do it.

You do know that you will also have to reload the software using the install disc--that too is easy--the hard drive you install doesn't have an operating system or any of the add on software. The install disc will come with the computer.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

Regarding tools--you might check but in addition to the Phillps screwdriver, you might need a torx screwdriver--check it out before you do it.

You do know that you will also have to reload the software using the install disc--that too is easy--the hard drive you install doesn't have an operating system or any of the add on software. The install disc will come with the computer.

The T6 you might be referring to is probably for the MacBook Pro. Apple's MacBook hard drive upgrade docs don't mention needing a T6, just a #0 Phillips.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

So will this one work in the MacBook? -->http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=S9120821AS

And is eWiz a reliable place to order from?

Thanks again everyone!

Yes, from the specs listed, it seems like it should work. I've never ordered from eWiz before, but it seems like a pretty good company. You can check the ratings here: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller5721.html

Good luck with your purchase!
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

gotcha I've installed many hard drives over the years in PC towers for friends who were afraid to rip open their computers haha.. so I'm all familiar with the reinstallation process (just not on a mac, just yet). Basically the day I buy my standard white MacBook, I'll just be taking it home to take it apart and reinstall everything!
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

gotcha I've installed many hard drives over the years in PC towers for friends who were afraid to rip open their computers haha.. so I'm all familiar with the reinstallation process (just not on a mac, just yet). Basically the day I buy my standard white MacBook, I'll just be taking it home to take it apart and reinstall everything!

Reinstalling from scratch isn't even necessary, just copy from one drive to the next using a cloning program and the right external enclosure.

Install the new drive, take the old drive and put it in an external Firewire to SATA enclosure, it will probably have to be a 3.5" enclosure though, and they might be a bit hard to find. Boot from the external drive and run SuperDuper and clone from the old drive to the new. Set the boot volume in System Preferences to the newly installed drive and you are done.

The main reason I suggest a Firewire to SATA enclosre is that I don't think the Intel Macs can boot from USB, the PPC Macs can't, but all Macs with Firewire can boot from external Firewire drives.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Reinstalling from scratch isn't even necessary, just copy from one drive to the next using a cloning program and the right external enclosure.

Install the new drive, take the old drive and put it in an external Firewire to SATA enclosure, it will probably have to be a 3.5" enclosure though, and they might be a bit hard to find. Boot from the external drive and run SuperDuper and clone from the old drive to the new. Set the boot volume in System Preferences to the newly installed drive and you are done.

The main reason I suggest a Firewire to SATA enclosre is that I don't think the Intel Macs can boot from USB, the PPC Macs can't, but all Macs with Firewire can boot from external Firewire drives.

i thought of something like that but then realized i dont have any external enclosure to use. all i have is a crummy old PC. so i think it will be easier in the end if i just run the install disk.

Question: once i turn on the laptop right after i put in the new blank HD, do i just pop in the installation disk and it will start to run/install automatically? i've used macs quite a bit, but never had to run a fresh installation on one.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

i thought of something like that but then realized i dont have any external enclosure to use. all i have is a crummy old PC. so i think it will be easier in the end if i just run the install disk.

Question: once i turn on the laptop right after i put in the new blank HD, do i just pop in the installation disk and it will start to run/install automatically? i've used macs quite a bit, but never had to run a fresh installation on one.

If you haven't done anything with the other drive, then there's nothing to lose by reinstalling, but it's something to keep in mind if you ever upgrade the drives again. The manual has good instructions on how to re-install. If the hard drive is blank, maybe inserting the install disc on boot is all you need to do, but there may be a key you need to hold down. Again, check the manual.