Cleanly Uninstalling Applications.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How do I do this?

My main concern is ridding myself of GarageBand... I've Googled such a proposition and it all involves me "Spotlighting" it and deleting everything that comes up but somehow I don't think this is complete nor clean...

Ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    are you a windows convert? once you drag garageband in the trash and get rid of the extra loop files (and preferences and such if you like) it's uninstalled. it won't screw things up after the fact like windows. just throw it away.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

How do I do this?

My main concern is ridding myself of GarageBand... I've Googled such a proposition and it all involves me "Spotlighting" it and deleting everything that comes up but somehow I don't think this is complete nor clean...

Ideas?

There is a little app that will do it for you sadly, that name escapes me, but if it is GB you want gone, one thing I can say is in library/audio/apple loops there is a subdirectory that holds all of the apple loops and any subsequent JamPacks you may have added. if you dont use tools like Logic or Soundtrack/soundtrack pro, you can probably trash these, saving like 3 gigs.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    AppZapper is the progam. Found here

finally got one up on someone
  • Reply 4 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

AppZapper is the progam. Found here

finally got one up on someone

Congrats, I was lazy and in a hurry; an awsome combo!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I am indeed a Windows Convert...

I am still used to Uninstalling Apps the Windows way therefore my hesitation of just dragging the stuff to the trash - I still don't believe that if I drag Garageband to the Trash it'll take those big Gb files with it...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

I still don't believe that if I drag Garageband to the Trash it'll take those big Gb files with it...

Heck, this isn't a matter of "believe".

GB and the accociated Loops are different storys.

Drag both of them to the trash, done.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I am indeed a Windows Convert...

I am still used to Uninstalling Apps the Windows way therefore my hesitation of just dragging the stuff to the trash - I still don't believe that if I drag Garageband to the Trash it'll take those big Gb files with it...

there aren't any registry files like you're used to. once you drag gb and the loops to the trash, it's effectively gone. if you want to go crazy and throw away preferences and app support or whatever, you can, but it won't make a lick of difference to you other than the hard drive space. it really is that simple.