Apple releases Xcode 2.3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Of course they don't. That was my whole point.

Negative...your point would still be wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Negative...your point would still be wrong.

No it wouldn't. Provide a reason why it's wrong.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

They have an image that they install on every computer they send out. It could be a 60 GiB MacBook; it'll still get the same software as the others (my Core Duo mini came with 15 GiB of installed crap. 15 GiB! - half of which was drivers for printers I'll never use, a lot of it languages I'll never use and some of it games I'll never use.)

There must be a better way of doing this.

Well, I normally wipe the HD and install OS X with the bare minimum...of course, that still doesn't take care of the localization problems.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:

No it wouldn't. Provide a reason why it's wrong.

I already have.

Step outside your little bubble for two seconds and go to, say, Spain's or France's online Apple Store and configure a computer...you get a choice of spanish or international english in the first case and french or international english for the second case.

Like I said, I've power on computers that defaulted to french.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Funny you should mention that. I was looking at a way of saving some space on my hard drive recently and I remembered something called delocalizer. There's also a program called monolingual ( http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/ ) that does the same thing.

I didn't expect it to clean up 1.2GB of space and remove over 112,000 files. It moved so many files to trash that the Finder hung up when I tried to open the trash.

So that's 112,000 in localizations and about 100,000 in Apple's developer docs. My total HD is 400,000 so half of all the files are there unnecessarily.

I expect this kind of bloat from Microsoft but Apple needs to make things a bit leaner. A Leopard should definitely be leaner than a big fat Tiger.

Notes: if you want to use monolingual, make sure you look at the preferences first to make sure you are moving the right files. It says in the FAQ to not include Adobe stuff (something about self-healing) but my CS had no problem.

Well, I cleaned my computer up with Monolingual, and it deleted +200.000 files (!) for a 2.5 Gig worth of HD space. Wow !

Everything worked fine afterwards.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Step outside your little bubble for two seconds and go to, say, Spain's or France's online Apple Store and configure a computer...you get a choice of spanish or international english in the first case and french or international english for the second case.

Those are for the keyboard and the printed material.

Just yesterday I set up two brand new Macs (a MacBook and a MacBook Pro) and they started up just as I said in an earlier post.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

Of course they don't. That was my whole point.

And I agree - I was just trying to prove your point.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Yet another dumb statement by Placebo.? How are people that don't understand english going to figure how to set the language if everything is localized in English at start?

Don't be angry at yourself, you just read my post too quickly. It was an easy mistake.

I said:

"and during the Setup Assistant if the user chooses another language, a message will pop up in that language"

In essence, the same way it's currently done, except instead of having all of those languages for every single application installed from the get-go and wasting gigabytes of hard drive space, they would be installed from an included DVD/CD following the user's language choice.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Those are for the keyboard and the printed material.

Just yesterday I set up two brand new Macs (a MacBook and a MacBook Pro) and they started up just as I said in an earlier post.

No, sorry...you're wrong. I've set up brand new Macs with OS X defaulting to french.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Don't be angry at yourself, you just read my post too quickly. It was an easy mistake.

I said:

"and during the Setup Assistant if the user chooses another language, a message will pop up in that language"

In essence, the same way it's currently done, except instead of having all of those languages for every single application installed from the get-go and wasting gigabytes of hard drive space, they would be installed from an included DVD/CD following the user's language choice.

You don't get the language option when your Mac is already localized. Although JLL seems to insist the option exists on Mac ordered from the Apple Store...I've never seen it. So how would one get the language option if the Mac is localized in english from the start and the user doesn't understand english?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    What about "choose your language" at the beginning of the Setup Assistant?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What about "choose your language" at the beginning of the Setup Assistant?

From what I've seen, that option is only available when installing OS X from a CD/DVD onto a freshly formated HD.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Huh! I can't say I knew that, last time I booted up a factory-new Mac was in the late parts of the 10.2 days, so I assumed that the options in the Tiger installer were the same for a newly-booted Mac.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I, too, have only ever seen that option when running installer, not when using Setup Assistant.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

From what I've seen, that option is only available when installing OS X from a CD/DVD onto a freshly formated HD.

Correct. Not to mention when these system images are blasted to the HDD they are automated. They don't install based upon localization orders unless it is a very large order.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

No, sorry...you're wrong. I've set up brand new Macs with OS X defaulting to french.

When?

I've bought 48 Macs this year alone, and all start with that 'Choose language' screen I've stated earlier when the setup assistant starts.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Correct. Not to mention when these system images are blasted to the HDD they are automated. They don't install based upon localization orders unless it is a very large order.

Which means that you disagrees with kim kap sol
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I, too, have only ever seen that option when running installer, not when using Setup Assistant.

What happens when you start a new Mac the first time? Aren't you greeted by the setup assistant?
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

What happens when you start a new Mac the first time? Aren't you greeted by the setup assistant?

Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

When?

I've bought 48 Macs this year alone, and all start with that 'Choose language' screen I've stated earlier when the setup assistant starts.

I think you are correct.