New to Apple, delete key question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am new to the Apple side of things with my black Macbook which I absolutely love so far. Many good things to say about it. One question though that I have not figured out on my own as of yet.

On my PC I have a backspace key and a delete key. I liked the function of the delete key as I can delete forward while working in Word.

Is there a way to make the Apple delete key function both ways, backward and forward?

By the way I am using Word 2004 on the Macbook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ctimrun

I am new to the Apple side of things with my black Macbook which I absolutely love so far. Many good things to say about it. One question though that I have not figured out on my own as of yet.

On my PC I have a backspace key and a delete key. I liked the function of the delete key as I can delete forward while working in Word.

Is there a way to make the Apple delete key function both ways, backward and forward?

By the way I am using Word 2004 on the Macbook.

On my rather ancient Titanium PowerBook G4, there is a forward delete key that is part of the "embedded numeric keypad", which is activated by pressing the "num lock" key. The keys can also be activated by pressing and holding the "fn" key whilst pressing an "embedding numeric keypad" key.

The MacBook also has an "embedded numeric keypad", but the symbol on the key that acts as forward delete on my PowerBook is different from the symbol on the MacBook. Hopefully the function is the same.

The forward delete is the "normal" 6/^ key, if you get what I mean.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    In some apps, ctrl-d will do the forward delete.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    in my iBook fn+backspace does the delete function, after I got used to it, I hate when randomly using other notebooks, you have to first find that delete key(usually not there where it's in normal keyboard). For example IBM thinkpad has that fn button as well, but it doesn't work same way
  • Reply 4 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    alt-backspace does the same as the delete key too.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

alt-backspace does the same as the delete key too.

Not on my Mac, running 10.3.9. In Text edit, it just does backspace; in word it deletes word-by-word instead of letter-by-letter.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

in my iBook fn+backspace does the delete function, after I got used to it, I hate when randomly using other notebooks, you have to first find that delete key(usually not there where it's in normal keyboard). For example IBM thinkpad has that fn button as well, but it doesn't work same way

This is how it works on all recent Apple laptops.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ctimrunctimrun Posts: 6member
    Thank you very much!!! Now I love everything about this Macbook! Interestingly while I enjoy my Macbook, my wife is reformatting her two month old PC......

I have a feeling she will soon have an Apple too.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    If you really want a delete key, you could remap your keyboard so that the backslash acts as a forward-delete, as on your windoze keyboard. I use DoubleCommand (http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/) it is a simple preference pane, and relatively easy to use.

Enjoy your mac, and hope your wife moves over too,

Noah
  • Reply 9 of 9
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ctimrun

Thank you very much!!! Now I love everything about this Macbook! Interestingly while I enjoy my Macbook, my wife is reformatting her two month old PC......

I have a feeling she will soon have an Apple too.

Show her "Exposé" once in a while