MacBook HDD 50% Full Out the Box!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NVRsayNVR

In the mean time, replace it with something bigger AS USUAL!

It doesn't matter how big storage devices get, the marketing for them will keep on claiming numbers that make them sound still yet even bigger than that.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

It doesn't matter how big storage devices get, the marketing for them will keep on claiming numbers that make them sound still yet even bigger than that.

Yeah that's true. It's the FAKE BUFF mentallity... What a little guy does to look bigger!

Hey it works for animals, why not HD capacity.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Trolling is not what I am doing but HEY if it catches fish it has a purpose.

I guess if you prefer the term "bullshitting", that's okay.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Just to make that clearer, those Kilobytes are also just 1000 bytes, not 1024. The 1GB of product-marketing speak is 1000 * 1000 or 1,000,000 bytes. The computer science GB is 1024 * 1024 or 1,048,576 bytes -- a nearly 5% difference.

You're talking about Mega/Mebi, not Giga/Gibi.

A Gigabyte (GB) is 1000*1000*1000 bytes. A Gibibyte (GiB, sometimes GB) is 1024*1024*1024 bytes, or 1,073,741,824 bytes: a difference of over 7%.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

You're talking about Mega/Mebi, not Giga/Gibi.

A Gigabyte (GB) is 1000*1000*1000 bytes. A Gibibyte (GiB, sometimes GB) is 1024*1024*1024 bytes, or 1,073,741,824 bytes: a difference of over 7%.

Sorry, my bad on the roughly factor of 1000 difference.

But that gigabyte/gibibyte stuff... I guess distinctive terminology is a good idea, but that particular terminology isn't universally accepted yet, and I have a hard time swallowing the word "gibibyte". Blech.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this forum should provide a list of recommended "deletes" and why so we all can do this. and instructions to reinstall os x

does apple support address these issues??
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

But that gigabyte/gibibyte stuff... I guess distinctive terminology is a good idea, but that particular terminology isn't universally accepted yet, and I have a hard time swallowing the word "gibibyte". Blech.

I don't much care for the naming either, but it makes sense. (The 'bi' standing for 'binary'.)

Obviously, it's all pretty much useless since nobody adheres to the standard. No OS, anyway.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

LOL

OK... I used to think you were pretty a cool guy. Now I'll have to reconsider that thought.

Oh, but that is what makes me such a cool guy; my special blend of assholishness...!

;^p
  • Reply 29 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

This is a great topic. Nothing is more distressing that getting a new computer and finding half your HD capacity consumed by applications and frills that you will never use.

I have a 80GB disk and immediately trashed Garage Band and MS Office. I ran DeLocalizer as well. Once I get back to my desktop (I bought this MacBook while on vacation if you can believe that) I?ll compare and sync the machines.

Next I plan to trash iDVD,

What?s the point of Image Capture if I always use iPhoto? Unless someone can explain the point of IC to me I?m gonna trash it.

Am I ever going to use Omni Outliner? Doubtful. I plan to trash it.

What files go with iDVD and GarageBand? I wanna trash those too.

Don't trash OmniOutliner! It's like a breath of fresh air in a sea of mediocre apps. I'd easily trade OmniOutliner for Office any day, and besides it's not more than 40 MB so it is well worth the paltry space it occupies.

Now, regarding iDVD and Garage Band, there are a number of support files in /Library/Application Support/ that contain iDVD templates and Garage Band Audio Loops. I just checked my folder now and see that iDVD uses 1.69 GB and Garage Band uses 1.92 GB. Generally I don't recommend mucking about in those type of directories unless you know what you're doing, but if you trashed Garage Band and iDVD then it is safe to trash those support files too.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    recompilerecompile Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

Just complemented my Apple lifestyle with a MacBook and just realized out of the box that the 60GB drive is half full... Is it just me or is something very wrong - what is taking up 30GBs in a Brand New MacBook?!

ilife has Garage band that takes up over 2 gig. Also idvd takes ove 2 gig and imovie takes over 2 gig. All of these are because of the media content (Sounds, loops, themes, etc. You can burn them to a DVD and use them when you need them rather than having them on the drive at all times. I have a 17" with a 100gig 7200 rpm drive. I have only 27 gig left after installing FCP studio. Ouch.\
  • Reply 31 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ReCompile

I have a 17" with a 100gig 7200 rpm drive. I have only 27 gig left after installing FCP studio. Ouch.\

I hope you knew what you were in for, as FCP Studio comes on a stack of DVDs.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    If reinstalling the OS takes less space, then what is different about it? Are there any cons to reinstalling the OS?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

If you don't use iDVD or Garage Band there are a number of media files you can delete to save a good amount of space.

Reinstall OS X, and leave out the languages and GaraqgeBand loops and test drives and you can save about 9GB.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Just to make that clearer, those Kilobytes are also just 1000 bytes, not 1024. The 1GB of product-marketing speak is 1000 * 1000 or 1,000,000 bytes. The computer science GB is 1024 * 1024 or 1,048,576 bytes -- a nearly 5% difference.

O please - do not use the word science here!

In science Kilo = 10^3, Mega = 10^6 and Giga = 10^9.

The computer nerds just ignored that.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by netdog

Reinstall OS X, and leave out the languages and GaraqgeBand loops and test drives and you can save about 9GB.

so what are the "test drives" and how do you know which are which??

i still think we should make a post of "thinning your HD"