Adding a second hard drive to my G5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Power Mac G5 (dual 1.8ghz) that currently has a 250GB hard drive. I have a Seagate 200GB (Parallel ATA) that I wish to install as the second hard drive on my G5. Since the Seagate is ATA and my G5 has SATA I bought a SATA to ATA converter (this one). Now when I went to install/set it up I was able to hook up the SATA cord to the hard drive, but there was no where for me to hook the power cord to the hard drive. What do i do? Thanks in advance!

-Jordan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If power can't be split off the original SATA cable you'll need to provide a power cable from elsewhere. You could split the power cable going to your SuperDrive for example.

In my G5 tower I've only installed SATA drives (a snap!) so I don't know specifics about ideal cable routings, etc. I'm sure a Mac upgrade / tweaker site will have all the details.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Take out the DVD drive and add a Y cable to take power from that. That is how I snuck power to my cold CRT light.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Take out the DVD drive and add a Y cable to take power from that. That is how I snuck power to my cold CRT light.

how do i take out the dvd drive? i've removed stuff from computers before, but i dunno how to do with the G5 case.

thanks again guys for the help!

-Jordan
  • Reply 4 of 9
    There are two plastic clips you pry forward and the drive slips out. That's about as detailed as I can think right now. Hope that works.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

There are two plastic clips you pry forward and the drive slips out. That's about as detailed as I can think right now. Hope that works.

is there a website somewhere that gives details on how to remove drives (and the like) from G5 cases?

thanks again!

-Jordan
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tag me backtag me back Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JordanEatWorld

is there a website somewhere that gives details on how to remove drives (and the like) from G5 cases?

thanks again!

-Jordan

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/g5/073-0807.pdf

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26276
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Whoa freaky! I think my post disappeared.

I'm 90% sure I posted a similar link from my server only hours after JordanEatWorld's last post.

Wonder where it went?

EDIT: Oh, I sent you a Private Message on June second. That's what I was thinking about.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My G5's SuperDrive has been flakey every now and then. Since the service can be DIY, perhaps I should try and get it replaced before my AppleCare expires (rev A machine). Hmmmm...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JordanEatWorld

thanks again!

-Jordan

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...directory.html