I have a new macbook...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have gotten a knew 2Ghz macbook black and i would like to know what the difference between a MB and a MBP, besides graphics....and if any one has any questions about there macbook i will be glad to help. So somebody... please need help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    sprocketssprockets Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danired18

So somebody... please need help...

I want to hear how iMovie and/or Final Cut behaves on a MacBook! Have you done anything with either yet?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I have a question too. Am looking to get a Macbook to replace my old ibook that has just officially died for good.

Actually 2 questions.

First, about the integrated graphics issue. Big deal or not? And did the older G4 and G3 ibooks have a graphics card, or did they use intergrated graphics as well?

Secondly I read about the magnet cord thing erasing peoples ipod hard drives and credit cards. As I usually keep my wallet AND my ipod in my knapsack with my laptop when I travel...um...this slightly concerned me. True or not?

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    danired18danired18 Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

I have a question too. Am looking to get a Macbook to replace my old ibook that has just officially died for good.

Actually 2 questions.

First, about the integrated graphics issue. Big deal or not? And did the older G4 and G3 ibooks have a graphics card, or did they use intergrated graphics as well?

Secondly I read about the magnet cord thing erasing peoples ipod hard drives and credit cards. As I usually keep my wallet AND my ipod in my knapsack with my laptop when I travel...um...this slightly concerned me. True or not?

Thanks.

Yes, macbook is a very good laptop and will definetly be a good replacement..... the whole thing with intergrated graphics means that you wont be able to do hard core gaming, or as i have heared that with final cut pro you wont be able to to some of the apps that it gives you when you buy it...you will not be able to buy a mac laptop without a magnetic cord so your stuck with it... it might delete some thing beacuse you know how magnets work around electronics..i am sorry if i did not support all the awnsers you wanted
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danired18

Yes, macbook is a very good laptop and will definetly be a good replacement..... the whole thing with intergrated graphics means that you wont be able to do hard core gaming, or as i have heared that with final cut pro you wont be able to to some of the apps that it gives you when you buy it...you will not be able to buy a mac laptop without a magnetic cord so your stuck with it... it might delete some thing beacuse you know how magnets work around electronics..i am sorry if i did not support all the awnsers you wanted

i also do not have a credit card and ipod so thats another reason... you may ask me any other question if you would like.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sprockets

I want to hear how iMovie and/or Final Cut behaves on a MacBook! Have you done anything with either yet?

i have heared with Final Cut that it wont do SUPER.. or mainly because it only has intergrated graphics...imovie,however, runs beautifly, even i do not use it that often it works very fast with my 2GHz dual core prosseccer (im sorry for spelling) maily because its on ilife and its just natice to run on any mac.. but this dual core 2GHz makes it a speed demon.....i do not no much about Final cut express and how that works with a macbook..

Might i recommend the black macbook? people think that finger prints show up to much but they dont.. you can only see a few of them in a very strong light

and they just wipe right off with a clean towl.... kinda off topic but just lettin you know.

be free to ask any other questions!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Didn't you see that episode of MythBusters? They totally busted that myth about normal magnets erasing credit card data.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Sorry to tread on your turf danired18, but I also have a new Macbook with a 2ghz processor (white) and I thought that I might be able to help confirm some things here. iMovie does work quite nicely. The first thing I did after set up was run a video. It looked normal, as in I didn't notice anything majorly wrong with it. I haven't compared the program with anything yet so I couldn't give you the nitty gritty on it, but iMovie is deffinitely acceptable.

Concerning the magnet thing, it is correct that normal magnets can't erase things, what about electro-magnets? What if the power cord was pluged in and your iPod happened to be next to the power cord, could that possibly erase it? Or is there some sort of safety in the power cord to prevent people from shocking themselves? I don't know, it's just an idea.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

...First, about the integrated graphics issue. Big deal or not? And did the older G4 and G3 ibooks have a graphics card, or did they use intergrated graphics as well?

G3 and G4 iBooks (and Powerbooks) DO have independent graphics processors. But they were generally a step or two below cutting edge when introduced.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaturalElement

Didn't you see that episode of MythBusters? They totally busted that myth about normal magnets erasing credit card data.

Didn't they need some special electical magnent to erase it?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    we just saw the laptops in person for the first time at the syracuse carousel center apple mini-store, and here were our impressions:

? i disliked the new macbook keyboard; it felt like there was less room for error for hitting keys, but it may be a psychological thing, since i look while i type. it also felt like there was a little "wiggle" in the keys and their respective wells when typing. my wife, a full touch-typist, said it was okay.

? the screen on the macbook -- well, this is going to be hard to describe, but it FEELS really small. it's as if it is so wide in proportion, you have less screen real estate. i know this isn't actually true, but it is an optical illusion that is difficult to overcome, ESPECIALLY when it is sitting next to the 15" MBP's.

? the magsafe connectors felt like they were stronger on the macbooks than the macbook pros. not sure why.

? luckily, the black macbook's finish doesn't smudge as much as i feared it would.

? playing around with it, i was reminded that the screen L-hinge, for what it ADDS in hinge and screen stability, SUBTRACTS from full range of motion. this can be an issue when, for instance, you are presenting and the only real surface is a regular table, but you need to stand most of the time. in cases like this, you would want the screen to fold back almost completely flat (our pismo works great for this). the L-hinge drastically curbs this ability.

? there is a LOT of glare off the glossy screens when you are standing at one and it is lower than you are accustomed to having it (since the screen is tilted more upwards towards you standing there). this might be alleviated when sitting at a desk, but it might even require a desktop riser to get it really eye-level. the upshot is that the screen fells better protected with the glossy screen, but i wonder if, a year from now, it will get scratched up against the keys all the time.

? i still think the lowest-end macbook pro 15" is the best deal. good video, separate from the main memory (which shouldn't matter, but if it's a few hundred for peace of mind that Mac OS X 10.8 Sabretooth (or whatever) won't grab even more of your memory away from your video, then why not? unless you don't have the extra few hundred, of course) , and sure you only have 80 GB internal on the macbook, but it is SO easy to buy small off-the-shelf firewire enclosures and huge drives, it's better to save your money and invest in the storage when you need it down the road.

? note: i said the LOW-END 15" is the best deal. if you need the extra video oomph, bypass the high-end 15" and just get the 17", unless you can't have such a large laptop.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Actually 2 questions.

Thanks.

I doubt that the size of magnet in a MacBook (Pro) will be capable of erasing entire hard drives, or credit cards for that matter. After all, the MacBooks have hard drives in them themselves, and there are three magnets in the MacBooks. It still might be a point worth considering though, especially if the data you're carrying is particularly valuable.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Danired18,

when you add a widget to the screen from teh tool bar, does a ripple effect happen?

ie. does core image work OK?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by waytogobuddy

Danired18,

when you add a widget to the screen from teh tool bar, does a ripple effect happen?

ie. does core image work OK?

yes it does the ripple effect happens when you add a new widget from the tool bar..