DVD Region Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My new MBP arrived today and naturally, I loaded up the apps. Then I tried a couple DVD's. The First one was Region 1, so it worked fine. Then I tried a Region 2 disk. Immediately, before I could boot up VLC, I got a popup telling me that in order to watch the disk I needed to change the region code etc. etc. Needless to say, I declined and the DVD ejected. Is there any way to stop this from happening? VLC works fine on my WinBox. Is this a sign of Apple clamping down or am I just missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere ? got a popup telling me that in order to watch the disk I needed to change the region code etc. ? [/B]

you are allowed to change 5 times the region code on a laptop (PC/Mac) - after that, the last settings are "burned" into the hardware of your dvd drive, you can not change that...

some drives can be "hacked" to be region-free, that depends very much on manufacturer, type, model, no. ... very tricky....

google for "apple region-free"
  • Reply 2 of 3
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Simple, just stop DVD Player from auto-opening when you insert a dvd. It is in System Prefs, Cd & DVD. Instead, you can set VLC to auto-open.

Noah
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

you are allowed to change 5 times the region code on a laptop (PC/Mac) - after that, the last settings are "burned" into the hardware of your dvd drive, you can not change that...

some drives can be "hacked" to be region-free, that depends very much on manufacturer, type, model, no. ... very tricky....

google for "apple region-free"

A few things...I did figure out the stop DVD player from automatically loading about 5 minutes after posting here. VLC on the other hand, still won't play DVD's from other regions, which is strange because it works fine on my PC...shrug.