Interesting figures - pixels per dollar on Apple LCDs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I did some calculating today, and I discovered something quite interesting about Apple LCD displays. I was comparing the amount of pixels you get per dollar for each one. These assume prices of $3500, $2500, $1000 and $600. Here's what I found out:

23" Cinema: 658.3 pixels/$

22" Cinema: 655.4 pixels/$

17" Studio: 1310.7 pixels/$

15" Studio: 1310.7 pixels/$

First interesting point: Both cinemas have nearly equal pixels per dollar.

Second interesting point: Both studio displays have exactly the same number of pixels per dollar (they're actually 1310.72 exactly, but I rounded everything to the nearest tenth).

Third interesting point: You get exactly twice the pixels per dollar for a studio display rather than a cinema display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    hmm... I never relised that buying two (2) 17" was so much more value for your money than one (1) cinema 22"... Too bad you can't hook up two external monitors to the powerbook...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    popzpopz Posts: 12member
    Can you hook up 2 monitors with the new DVI Powerbooks?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Nope, the DVI PowerBooks only have one monitor connection. They only replaced the VGA port with a DVI. So you can use any kind (VGA, DVI or ADC, with the correct adapters), but you can only have one.

It may actually be possible to have two external displays however, with some modifications. I know for a fact that there was a video card for an external monitor that fit in the PC card slot of some early PowerBook G3s, which allowed for monitor spanning. Perhaps you could use that card to get another VGA connector. It probably wouldn't be enough to power a very large display, though. You may not be able to connect a VGA to ADC adapter and a 23" cinema display to it. But it would be cool.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    The chance of a given pixel failing during fabrication is constant, so the more pixels you have, the more chance you have of having a screen with one or more failed pixels.

This is why bigger LCD screens cost more...