Read If You Are Interested In Macbooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i can answere you macbook questions that have the topics of the following!

1. color of the macbook you want decision

2. If you should use a MBP and not a MB, or the other way around.

3. Battery life

4. Speed for certain apps (no pro apps please)

5. to see if this laptop is really a good one for you

6. Any other question as long as if it does not have to do with bootcamp, or pro apps.

ASK LOTS OF QUESTION BECAUSE IM OPEN FOR ANSWERES

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Thanks for the offers, but generally people surf the forums for help they can offer and NOT for specific people who can answer specific questions. Look around and see where you can offer assistance, okay?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    jakkjakk Posts: 15member
    Thanx!

I'm at the stage of deciding buying this MB now or wait to see how apple resolve the heat/moo issue

Is it that hot? I live in Thailand which the normal temp is around 30+ degree cel.

So, i'm really concern with this problem.

And do I really need to have 2 equal ram ? can I have 1gb with the bundle one 256mb?
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jakk

Thanx!

I'm at the stage of deciding buying this MB now or wait to see how apple resolve the heat/moo issue

Is it that hot? I live in Thailand which the normal temp is around 30+ degree cel.

So, i'm really concern with this problem.

And do I really need to have 2 equal ram ? can I have 1gb with the bundle one 256mb?

yes it does moo occasionly

yes it does get quite hot sometimes... even when doing simple stuff such a safari...

and no you dont need two equal sticks of RAM. people say you do but you really dont.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    I am typing on one right now in an Air Conditioned Room bearing a temperature of 22 C and the MacBook running Parallels and me typing in Safari idles at 62 C... Definately the hottest computer I have ever used... If you touch the bottom it's hot like a hot hot hot hot hot. hot.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Actually.. you don't "need" two sticks of memory that are the same size... but you will take a graphics performance hit if you don't... and on a system that is using decent, but not great graphics technology, you would want the advantage of having your memory run in dual channel, which will only happen with two sticks of the same capacity. This is only an issue on the MacBooks, not the Pros since they have a discrete GPU and memory.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danired18

yes it does get quite hot sometimes... even when doing simple stuff such a safari...

I would not say that surfing (with Safari or other browser) is such a "simple" task. On older PPC iBooks/Powerbooks, sites with animations could easily send the CPU at 70-100% usage. Not sure about the newest Intel-based models, that have much more powerful processors.

You can of course check CPU time (from Activity Monitor or Terminal) when you notice that the machine gets unusually hot while surfing. Maybe one ot both cores are taxed from animations.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I have a Black MacBook with 2GB of RAM. What I need to know, desperately, is whether or not it is bitchin'.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Yes, yes it is.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I have no reason why web browsing is so intensive, but it's more than you'd think on nearly all applications. So is Flash.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Should I buy a white one or a black one...or a grey MacBook Pro? I don't really care about the other features.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Should I buy a white one or a black one...or a grey MacBook Pro? I don't really care about the other features.

Do you really have so much money that your primary concern is color?

What features do you really need? What size is preferable for you?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

If you choose a MacBook, and you don't care about the color, get the white one. I bought the black because I was concerned about the white one soiling as I have seen happen to iBooks, and I liked the black. Had it not been for my concern about getting yellowed and dingy, however, I would have chosen the white. Again, if you have reason, or simply prefer the black, get it. Why not?

As for MBP vs MB, will you use the enhanced graphics (primarily an advantage for advanced gaming and 3D graphics)?

Do you want a larger screen than 13.3"?

Do you require a backlit keyboard?

Answer those and you will have a better picture of whether the MBP is a better bet for you.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    I ONLY care about color. Danired18, what's your advice?

The rest of you:
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danired18

yes it does moo occasionly

and no you dont need two equal sticks of RAM. people say you do but you really dont.

If you want to have access to more than 64MB of shared vRAM, you actually do need to have equal-sized sticks of RAM. For things like running Vista Aero Glass, that is a requirement.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    kratoskratos Posts: 21member
    There is no need to worry about the white dulling or turning yellow. If you know anyone that knows anything about painting cars, just take your MacBook/iBook to them and have them buff the case making sure to tape off all the ports and vents and such... My iPod was looking like crap not too long ago, I whipped out my Rubbing compound, and polishing glaze and WHAM! Just like new... So if your white getting "old and worn looking" is your only concern, no worries.

And while I'm on the post. How hot does the MacBook actually get? I will be getting one here shortly no matter what, but I would like to know if I should purchase an iLap from Raindesigninc.com (http://raindesigninc.com/ilap.html).

By the way, go white, they catch everyone's eye.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kratos

I would like to know if I should purchase an iLap from Raindesigninc.com (http://raindesigninc.com/ilap.html).

I had one with my iBook, and I now have one with my MBP. Love it.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Does the iLap dissipate the heat as well as they say? Maybe even enough to help with the apparent MacBook heat issue?
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Well, hard to say; very subjective topic. I haven't had heat problems, however. I can comfortably work with it.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Sounds like I'm sold on the iLap. Now I just have to debate on the 30GB or 60GB iPod since Apple now has the $179 discount. Thank you much...
  • Reply 20 of 42
    danired18danired18 Posts: 47member
    Quote:

I ONLY care about color. Danired18, what's your advice?

The rest of you:

ok if you dont care about features cross off the macbook pro...depens on what kind of kid/adult you are.. if you happen to love the matte black finish (which i have) then go for it. but if you want a cheaper substitute and you dont mind the whit go for the white.