DVD Backup

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just had a quick question. I am a music teacher at an elementary school and I show a certain DVD during about 40 classes a year. I have to travel to their different classrooms and the DVD get scratched pretty easily. I was wondering if there was a free utility that would let me back up the disk so I could use the backup disk instead so that way if it gets scratched I can just burn off a new one.

And before I get the flame war going I know it is illegal to burn DVD's I do not own. I own this DVD and need a backup to use in case it gets scratched up.

Thanks,

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Check out www.ripdifferent.com

You will need MacTheRipper to extract the Video_TS file and then, if the resulting file is too large to fit on to a single layer DVD, an application to compress the video. Example would include Popcorn or Toast 7.

Kevin.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    macaddict16macaddict16 Posts: 194member
    Anyone use Fast DVD Copy? I know it is $100 but I tried the trial and it seemed pretty good. Anything else out there that is comparable but cheaper?

Macaddict16
  • Reply 3 of 4
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

Anyone use Fast DVD Copy? I know it is $100 but I tried the trial and it seemed pretty good. Anything else out there that is comparable but cheaper?

Macaddict16

Mactheripper does a great job, you can choose whether to extract the whole thing, the main feature, or a certain chapter. You can also disable the annoying "This action is not allowed" that you get from skipping commercials. It will also rip a DVD from any region, to work in yours.

Noah
  • Reply 4 of 4
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    you need two apps:

MacTheRipper to get rid of copy-protection mechanisms..

and a cruncher as DVD2One, which allows to get the content of a 7.7GB double layered DVD onto a standard dvd-r with 4.4GB...

Toast7 includes Popcorn, which does the same effect...

Have a look at a tool called Handbrake, you could transfer your DVDs as small mp4/h264 files onto your laptop....

Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

..And before I get the flame war going I know it is illegal to burn DVD's I do not own. I own this DVD ...

that it, sorry to tell that a teacher, nonsense, you don't have to be a laywer to understand, but:

you don't own the DVD - you own permission to watch content under very specific circumstances (a public presentation is not allowed, as an example...)

"copy protection" means, using tools as MTR, is an illegal act. full stop. over here, in Europe, we have a different concept, funny enough: I'm allowed to own a copy of "my" DVD, but I'm not allowed to own tools as MTR...

pay the artists//respect local laws//get good kharma