Backlit Apple Keyboard?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I feel like this is a stupid question to ask, but hey, what the hell, I am going for it. Do you think Apple would ever take their USB desktop keyboard and backlight the letters as they do with their pro notebooks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    *shakes Magic 8-ball*

All signs point to anything is possible in an infinite universe

Maybe...? I know I'd use one as I like to work in dim-light

b.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    That'd be cool.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Depends. How often do you work in the dark with your desktop?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

I do constantly. Especially during the fall/winter when it gets dark at 5 or 6.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I do constantly. Especially during the fall/winter when it gets dark at 5 or 6.

Ditto.... it's the only way I work when I edit footage etc. My screens tend to give enough lumination to see the keys but backlighting would be a plus.

b.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    That'd be a pretty good idea. If they did it I would just hope apple wouldn't be stupid and only offer a backlight keyboard, upping the price of buying a mac keyboard.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    shroudshroud Posts: 30member
    I don't feel that your question is stupid. I would love to see Apple include an illuminated keyboard for desktops. I use the one in my powerbook all the time. So naturally, now that I am in the market for a desktop complement to my laptop powerhouse, I don't feel like returning to the old keyboarding ways. I have discovered too many situations in which I prefer to be in a darker environment and the way in which Apple has implemented the backlight is very elegant compared to other keyboards that I have seen. Maybe I have just been spoiled?

If Apple doesn't include it in the next Pro desktop this summer then I will more than likely bide my time until that sweet keyboard from Art Lebedev comes out.

(for those that have not seen it,check it out here)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow now that's an interesting keyboard!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Ho-ly-shit! That keyboard is awesome! Goddamn that'd be crazy for editing!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Apple should have come up with something like that. It will be awesome for people like me who not so regularly use several different apps to edit stuff with, not enough to remember all the different keyboard layouts. I will order one as soon as they are out, but it will likely be rather expensive.

Lots of people use their computers in less than bright locations, and a backlit keyboard would be very welcome.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Ho-ly-shit! That keyboard is awesome! Goddamn that'd be crazy for editing!

I agree!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Sweet 'board, but it looks like it would be wickedly expensive.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

I use my computer in the dark all the time too. the light from the screen is usually my only light source. 90% of the real thinking I do when using my computer is between 9:00pm, and 3:30am. I think a backlit Apple pro keyboard is a great idea. As long as it generates no heat.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

As long as it generates no heat.

If it did, that'd be one way to improve the speed of your typing, given Apple's MB and MBP track record!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Granted most people don't look at the keys to type anyway, but it would still be cool.

There has been several times when I get an email in the middle night, fumble to my office, forget to turn on the lights and can't find the f and j nubs.

A great combination for apple to release would be a premium desktop bundle .... including a bluetooth backlight keyboard and a wireless mighty mouse.

Note that I have an s530 (or s505, whatever the new logitech one is) and love it. I really enjoy all the button on the mouse, I have them to customized to the keyboard short cuts I use in each application. (you can change them by application).

-JP