Vista Beta 2 is a complete mess

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

What unneeded complxities? It looks just like OS X, for christ sake.

• Reply 22 of 99
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Not the style of UI, silly. (which I think looks quite good, I hope somebody makes a ShapeShifter theme) I'm talking about the way everything works. It's got Smart Folders, Widgets, metadata search, and even an Exposé knockoff.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Not the style of UI, silly. (which I think looks quite good, I hope somebody makes a ShapeShifter theme) I'm talking about the way everything works. It's got Smart Folders, Widgets, metadata search, and even an Exposé knockoff.

i wasn't showing you the UI, read the content. endless pop-ups, confusing dialogue. i think we all agree that the looks are the same, but the usibility is a mess.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think it looks pretty nice, actually.

I'll wait for 3 or 4 months after the initial release and see what it has to offer before switching from XP, though.

And I sincerely hope Apple is keeping up with it as well. Boot Camp needs to remain 100% viable.

And whoever says that Vista has a high bar for system requirements must be joking. You can't get the sexy UI crap without a DirectX 9 compatable card, but other than that it's a cinch.

1ghz processor, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD.

Even the Intel GMA 950 integrated video will support the fancy new UI.

How daunting!
  • Reply 25 of 99
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

No no, it's so that we can be smug in our smog of smugness...

We had better make sure that doesn't mix with George Clooney's smog of smug and hybrid cars.

Clooney Smug + Hybrid Car Smug + Apple/Mac User Smug = Fucked.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I hope Leopard is remotely comparable to Vista in speed... these past OS X releases have been pretty sluggish even on high-end hardware.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

That's to be expected, one would at least hope for such improvements, the question is which direction is it going?

Only time will tell that.

Quote:

From the screen shots I see your typical MS Windows with all it's unneeded complexities and then some just to make it "more sophisticated."

I could say the same thing about any os including OSX.

Quote:

Actually, I think NT was the break for MS, when they went with a Unix type kernel architecture.

NT was never a break for MS, it was a parallel track development for a Posix 1.b compliant system (same standard as UNIX).

Quote:

Vista will just be the latest iteration of NT, albeit with some new bell and whistles.

Vista will be like and won't be like NT or any other MS system in many ways. Registry is gone, security is a layer rather than a service, hardware drivers are run in a restricted user-type environment... these are just a few of the very major changes.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:

Vista will be like and won't be like NT or any other MS system in many ways. Registry is gone, security is a layer rather than a service, hardware drivers are run in a restricted user-type environment... these are just a few of the very major changes. [/B]

these changes are great(in theory). let's see how well they are implemented when vista is released.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by guanyu158

these changes are great(in theory). let's see how well they are implemented when vista is released.

Indeed.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Only time will tell that.

I could say the same thing about any os including OSX.

NT was never a break for MS, it was a parallel track development for a Posix 1.b compliant system (same standard as UNIX).

Vista will be like and won't be like NT or any other MS system in many ways. Registry is gone, security is a layer rather than a service, hardware drivers are run in a restricted user-type environment... these are just a few of the very major changes.

I just mean that NT is the relatively modern architecture upon which XP and Vista are built, as OSX and future iterations are for Apple.

I think some people have the impression that modern Windows is some kind of giant house of cruft built on DOS and that MS has yet to experience their "Rhapsody" moment.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Actually, weren't the Smart Folders relegated to a practically hidden feature?
  • Reply 32 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Actually, weren't the Smart Folders relegated to a practically hidden feature?

Woot combining Hidden and Smart Folders - that sounds like a new feature from MS. Who says they can't innovate? Really useful, probably
  • Reply 33 of 99
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I just mean that NT is the relatively modern architecture upon which XP and Vista are built, as OSX and future iterations are for Apple.

I think some people have the impression that modern Windows is some kind of giant house of cruft built on DOS and that MS has yet to experience their "Rhapsody" moment.

The NT kernel is as much a mess as what went before it, especially once it started getting hacked and shimmed with gusto. It was a very much needed attempt at a restart, but once it went mainstream into Win2000 it slid backwards into the previous morass. Windows has yet to see a ground-up rewrite that actually chucks the legacy code.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Blatant cross post: 7 Steps To Delete Shortcut in Vista (image below)

• Reply 35 of 99
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

We had better make sure that doesn't mix with George Clooney's smog of smug and hybrid cars.

Clooney Smug + Hybrid Car Smug + Apple/Mac User Smug = Fucked.

lol haha

the world will be comming to an end with that smug storm
  • Reply 36 of 99
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Blatant cross post: 7 Steps To Delete Shortcut in Vista (image below)

And how many alerts are there with a Mac? None. Because mac users know what an alias is. But, mac users don't use aliases like windows users use shortcuts. Why? Because we have the dock. So this is like 7 steps to remove an icon from your dock!

And why is the shortcut's owner the System? Hopefully that will be fixed by the release..... I bet I know why. Because the shortcut was created BY the installer which the system ran.

I wonder how many alerts the final release will have.... that's assuming it's ever released. BTW - Is it a sure thing now that Leopard will come out first? If so, Vista will be kicked back even farther while MS tries to copy all the new features in leopard.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

...Vista will be kicked back even farther while MS tries to copy all the new features in leopard...

• Reply 38 of 99
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I'll be installing Vista on my shiny new Mac Pro Core 7 Duo in 2010.

I feel sorry for MS...Balmer takes Google semi-seriously but he doesn't take Apple seriously (maybe he's just pretending like Apple isn't serious competition but either way...) ...this will be MS's final undoing. Starting this year, MS will slowly go downhill to Linux, Google, and Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by kim kap sol

...Starting this year, MS will slowly go downhill to Linux, Google, and Apple...

I'd looooove to see that, but MS will continue to bumble along on XP and when Vista shows up in 2007 sometime and most people get converted to Vista Service Pack 23 in 2010... Microsoft will still be around with at least 75% marketshare unfortunately. Just my guesss.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    Google should bloody come out with guns blazing and make a Unix-based OS already...!!!