Post your 2006 ProMac mock-ups here!!

Comments

• Reply 101 of 242
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Minguez

I modeled this one to be a mocup of the G5 before it got released. I was wrong then, but I might be closer this time..

I suddenly have the urge to go bobsledding...
  • Reply 102 of 242
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Now what if Apple really really thought different? Side view shown.

Hell yeah that's awesome looking, but I'm also wondering what the hell I'm looking at. Is that the side view? If it is it's not deep enough. Looks awesome though.
  • Reply 103 of 242
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

hmmm, you have your toaster slots the wrong way, they should face up. The amount of heat that bad boy will pipe out will surely roast any media you put in the dual slots!!!

Mmmm... That reminds me: didn't the Cube have its CD drive slot-load from the top? Though I doubt that would be really efficient for the Mac Pro market.
  • Reply 104 of 242
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    My guess: same design as current powermac, HOPEFULLY less huge.
  • Reply 105 of 242
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by MacRonin

See, I am unsure how to take this mock-up?Especially as you are also pimping it out over on the emac rwplacement thread?Over there, it seems as if the unit is seen head-on, looking at the screen?But now here you are telling us this is a side view?Shabby bra, shabby?

;^p

Look, I'm a lazy mofo, okay? Just rehashing stuff. This is a side view of a Mac Pro tower. The eMac one is separate, shown as angled view with the side of the Mac Pro becoming the screen.
  • Reply 106 of 242
    Originally posted by onlooker

Hell yeah that's awesome looking, but I'm also wondering what the hell I'm looking at. Is that the side view? If it is it's not deep enough. Looks awesome though.

Thanks. You're looking at the side view of the Mac Pro tower in this mockup. Front is facing the leftside. Hmm... not deep enough you say...
  • Reply 107 of 242
    To clarify: I rehashed stuff in Photoshop so things may seem a bit confusing because of the reddish-orange part. But it's meant to go like this:

SIDE VIEW of Mac Pro TOWER - Tower only, NO SCREEN

ANGLE VIEW of Mac.E (Mac for education) - ALL IN ONE unit WITH SCREEN

• Reply 108 of 242
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    The Quadra Tower (from the mid 90's), with modular drive bays was a good and very practical design. It allowed a lot of choice as to what you wanted installed - tape drives, optical, hard drives etc etc in one case, without the attendent cable mess. Also, this design would cater to a number of different professional users (video - install two or three optical drives; Server/DTP - install extra hard drives; Backup Server - tape drive), giving manufacturing and cost scaleability. Also, as a user's needs changes over time, the box could be reconfigured. This added flexibility would partly justify the premium pricing.
  • Reply 109 of 242
    That EDU Mac is really awesome. , but if you look at a powerMac G5 they are way deeper than that. Yours is smaller that G4 PM size. I prefer the Deeper G5 anyway. (can theoretically hold more stuff).

Something about this deep.

• Reply 110 of 242
    Cool. Deep and hopefully not as beastly HEAVY as the current g5 like some people say...

Also McCrab: yeah, a lot of people are screaming for expandability in the new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 111 of 242
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

That is honestly a scary frickin computer. I don't know what movie I'm thinking of, but it reminds me of a sort of spider robot that kills shit. Or the iRobot guys. Or something....

Scaring me.

--B

It reminds me of the Daleks from Dr Who for somereason. And a mock up I saw ages ago of the Siper Dalek.

Anyway...

I think that Apple are going to try and go back to the cube on this one. Maybe they'll release more then one model, one of which comes in a cube case.

The other thing is that the current G5 design works quite well and generally seems to be popular. I think they'll take the same stance they did with the MacMini and the iMac and hold off a major redesign for now.
  • Reply 112 of 242
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think the general case design will stay the same but possibly get space for another optical drive and more expansion slots/bays.
  • Reply 113 of 242
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think the general case design will stay the same but possibly get space for another optical drive and more expansion slots/bays.

Your not implying they are going to make the G5 case bigger are you? Or are you saying they will free up some internal space to accommodate?
  • Reply 114 of 242
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Your not implying they are going to make the G5 case bigger are you? Or are you saying they will free up some internal space to accommodate?

I think they'll be able to free up some internal space with less room needed for heat sinks, fans, etc. I'm no engineer so my signature might ring true.
  • Reply 115 of 242
    Removing or reducing liquid cooling space would be the first step. Reducing fans needed would also help. Conroe will be the first real performance-per-watt test. Core Duo and the hot MacBooks, we'll let that slide as early revisions. But for the Mac Pro, Apple will have to walk the talk and come out with guns blazing - cool, quiet, powerful, reasonably expandable, sleek machines. I sense Mac Pro expectations are quite high here on AppleInsider Forums.
  • Reply 116 of 242
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

I sense Mac Pro expectations are quite high here on AppleInsider Forums.

Only the best will do for us!
  • Reply 117 of 242
    Yeah, I look forward to the bitching when the Mac Pro is released. It would include any of the following:

1. weird crashes

2. whining sounds

3. not powerful enough

4. not enough ram

5. no SLI graphics

6. too loud

7. too big

8. too small

9. not expandable

10. too expandable

11. too sexy

12. not sexy enough

13. too expensive

14. too low-priced

15. too much thermal paste

16. not enough thermal paste

17. too heavy

18. too light

• Reply 118 of 242
    Quote:

Yeah, I look forward to the bitching when the Mac Pro is released. It would include any of the following:

1. weird crashes

2. whining sounds

3. not powerful enough

4. not enough ram

5. no SLI graphics

6. too loud

7. too big

8. too small

9. not expandable

10. too expandable

11. too sexy

12. not sexy enough

13. too expensive

14. too low-priced

15. too much thermal paste

16. not enough thermal paste

17. too heavy

18. too light

• Reply 119 of 242
    Some of you may discover the pre-Photoshop source of this, but nonetheless: (image below)

• Reply 120 of 242
    Quote:

Some of you may discover the pre-Photoshop source of this, but nonetheless: (image below)

You probably mean something like this:

Edited: typo