Cingular Phones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My older brother just sent his old phone back home to me, complete with a plan under Cingular (he's upgraded to a Treo under Verizon I think). My dad's going to let me upgrade the phone (it's a bit aged), but now I need to decided which phone to get. This is my first cell phone so my only prerequisites are bluetooth syncing and a form factor (probably clamshell) that prevents keys from accidently getting pressed in my bag or pocket. Any suggestions?

Woops, I completely forgot about the mobile phone discussion going on. I hope this topic isn't too redundant...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

My older brother just sent his old phone back home to me, complete with a plan under Cingular (he's upgraded to a Treo under Verizon I think). My dad's going to let me upgrade the phone (it's a bit aged), but now I need to decided which phone to get. This is my first cell phone so my only prerequisites are bluetooth syncing and a form factor (probably clamshell) that prevents keys from accidently getting pressed in my bag or pocket. Any suggestions?

Woops, I completely forgot about the mobile phone discussion going on. I hope this topic isn't too redundant...

Razr.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=301185

It's $99. If you buy it with a new plan from Cingular, you get a rebate for $150 (ie, you get $50 back).
  • Reply 2 of 15
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Razr.

It's $99. If you buy it with a new plan from Cingular, you get a rebate for $150 (ie, you get $50 back).

About a month ago it was only $80.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Actually, I really dislike the razr. The proportions of the face are just weird to me and limit the advantage of such a slim design (or maybe I was just looking at an older model?). Any others?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
  • Reply 5 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have a razor and HATE it...go with a high end nokia or SonyEricson, the moto UI stinks and the Razor buttons are terrible!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Razr.

That is the last phone to get. Stay clear from Motorola.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

That is the last phone to get. Stay clear from Motorola.

It's the only phone, ever, that doesn't look like shit, and it has perfect reception. And it's free.

So um, yeah, probably the only phone worth getting.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If you're a geek with baggy jeans who keeps his phone in his hand and his head looking down at it (or pavement), get a P910A or similar. If you want a functional PDA style phone, get a Blackberry. If you want a phone that works and looks cool, get a RAZR V3 or a SLVR.

I just got a SLVR. The buttons are flat and cramped. The interface is sluggish, but it works. I use it to call people, not run my life. It looks cool, it's small, it has great reception and it has the added novelty of having 'iTunes' on it for the Apple zealot in me.

The RAZR V3 seems to have better UI responsiveness, and the buttons are bigger. My only gripe is that it's TOO thin when flipped open and a bit wide.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

It's the only phone, ever, that doesn't look like shit,

It is chalk full of stupid crap like "video camera" capabilitys, and what I consider to be usfull features like voice memos are clugy and bogged down, Cungular and/or motorola want you to pay for every second that the phone is open, at least two buttons on my Razor launch wirless web, one is right above the end button and it cannot be disabled!!!

Whwn I bought the RAZR I thought I was getting the "Startak II" boy was I wrong!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

It is chalk full of stupid crap like "video camera" capabilitys, and what I consider to be usfull features like voice memos are clugy and bogged down, Cungular and/or motorola want you to pay for every second that the phone is open, at least two buttons on my Razor launch wirless web, one is right above the end button and it cannot be disabled!!!

Whwn I bought the RAZR I thought I was getting the "Startak II" boy was I wrong!

Why am I not surprised you can't figure out how to use the RAZR? Every single unlabeled key on the RAZR V3 is programmable, so your gripe about the "soft-keys" is invalid. They're called soft-keys for a reason...

As long as it has a numeric keypad, call and end-call button, most of its users will be happy with it.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    The Motorola E 815 is a good phone but I'm not sure if it's available for Cingular, worth checking into though.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I've heard lots of bad things about the Razr, don't know about the V3.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by lakingsfn

The Motorola E 815 is a good phone but I'm not sure if it's available for Cingular, worth checking into though.

The E815 is CDMA-only (Verizon, US Cellular, Alltel), whie Cingular and T-Mobile run on GSM/GPRS.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I've heard lots of bad things about the Razr, don't know about the V3.

The RAZR is the V3...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Why am I not surprised you can't figure out how to use the RAZR? Every single unlabeled key on the RAZR V3 is programmable, so your gripe about the "soft-keys" is invalid. They're called soft-keys for a reason...

As long as it has a numeric keypad, call and end-call button, most of its users will be happy with it.

I was refering to thr globe button, right above the SND key, not end, that was a mistake on my part -- It launches wireless web ... and it is a real pain in the ass!

For your information, I have already remapped the softkeys, that is one of the first things that I did to the phone.

I know damn well how to use the razor, I just think that it is a pain in the ass!