Who eats that?

• Reply 42 of 61
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Why, the worm within, of course.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

How do you guys get your mouths around those sarnies (<---english for sandwhiches) For me if it has more than 2 ingredients, it's a bloody meal not a snack

Mine is wafer thin honey roasted ham, with a speckle of cheese and onion on normal white bread No need to ruin the perfect fussy eaters sarnie with mayo

I agree, you Americans love your sandwiches. Although I wouldn't mind trying some of those suggested in this thread...

Here in England its like, white bread, butter and processed ham, although I did have a really nice 'sarnie' the other day:

- Granary bread (sliced at home, chunky)

- Thin layer of butter

- Thick country ham (like freshly sliced off the deli)

- Tomato

- Red onion

- Salad cream

- Lightly seasoned with pepper

Not one for ya lunchbox.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    ronaldoronaldo Posts: 439member
    My favorite sandwich is Hard Salami on Beefsteak Rye
  • Reply 45 of 61
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I'm rather fond of a good fried egg sandwich. For me, that entails two lightly buttered and lightly toasted pieces of wheat bread with one fried egg (gooey yolk) cooked with a piece of cheddar on top, mayo, mustard, and if I feel like it, a piece of gently crisped thin sliced deli ham. That's the type of sandwich that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    my own special grilled cheese: Jewish rye, swiss cheese and jalapenos.

Yum! Yum!

• Reply 47 of 61
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    After reading about the "jam sandwich fried in lard" on this thread, I decided to do one myself. Except I upped the ante and made it a fried peanut butter and jam. It was actually really good. Nice and warm, and gooey.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    Ham with mayo and mustard is both tangy and tasty, garnished with lettuce and tomatoes.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

After reading about the "jam sandwich fried in lard" on this thread, I decided to do one myself. Except I upped the ante and made it a fried peanut butter and jam. It was actually really good. Nice and warm, and gooey.

I may not fry my sandwich in lard, but occasionally when i have a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich I will grill it. I really enjoy it being warm and gooey like you said. I think I might fry my sandwich next time.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    what do you fry it with?
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

what do you fry it with?

I fry it with butter in a frying pan because I don't have anything else to use.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    I've had success with all types of fats: oils, butter, animal fat, lard. . . The first fried PB&J I had, I used bacon grease. The second one, Crisco (lard). The bacon grease one was salty, which was actually pretty nice, but the Crisco one was definitely pretty good, too. If you were to fry in vegetable oil, it would probably be the lowest impact on the arteries. The weird taste of olive oil might actually mesh pretty well with the strong sweetness of the PB&J.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    True that. I fry my PBJs in olive oil and they are completely 100% awesome.

My favourite sammy by far is:

A stack of thinly sliced swiss cheese

Finely chopped green olives

Thousand island dressing

Thick sourdough bread

Assemble. Toast. Enjoy.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Just tried it with butter.

It was surprisingly gooey and delicious.

It'd probably be best with fresh white bread.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Just tried it with butter.

It was surprisingly gooey and delicious.

It'd probably be best with fresh white bread.

I prefer wheat in most cases, but in this one white Wonder brand bread is the best in my opinion.

Random question, but does anyone here know what color the jello ("jelly") is in the first episode of "The Office"?
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Turkey

Swiss Cheese

Mayo

Lettuce

Tomato

Onion

Delicious roll

Nobody likes regular sandwiches here.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

I prefer wheat in most cases, but in this one white Wonder brand bread is the best in my opinion.

There are a few kinds of bread I've used to soak up grease, after two years of trying to perfect the "traditional English breakfas," of which fried bread is a main component. French bread (baguettes) works pretty well because the hard crust supports the spongy interior. This is especially important once fried fat enters the equation. If you're willing to get a little messy, chalah loaf is probably the most incredible bread to fry. Sometimes you can find "English Bread" at the store, but, ironically, French bread works better.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    rufusswanrufusswan Posts: 132member
    It's not a sandwich, but as a youngster who would suffer 'snack attacks' late in the eve...

it would be two slices of real american cheese off the big block that mom always had in the frig. Apply your favorite condiment between the two (mine was Kraft Salad Dressing) and snack happy.

The PB&J:

Take your bread of choice and lightly butter (not fake shit) one slice. Apply 3/16" of Hallam's all natural PB. It contains no salt, so lightly apply a pinch of sea salt.

The other slice is for your favorite jam, jelly or preserve. I lean toward apricot or raspberry. Toast if you like, but toast it camp style, clean hot skillet with no oil or butter.

A 'perfect' sandwich here in the Ozarks is the old Bacon/Lettuce/TommyToe

For me bread must be toasted.

The condiment is Mayo.

The lettuce is crisp.

The cheese.... pick anything, customize, I lean toward sharp cheddar.

The bacon, just cook your fav til it's just that special crispness.

And the part that makes it perfect, you now go out to the garden and get a big and juicy FRESH tomato off the vine. Slice to just the correct thickness, and gobble up the sucker.

Paz
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by rufusswan

It's not a sandwich, but as a youngster who would suffer 'snack attacks' late in the eve...

it would be two slices of real american cheese off the big block that mom always had in the frig. Apply your favorite condiment between the two (mine was Kraft Salad Dressing) and snack happy.

The PB&J:

Take your bread of choice and lightly butter (not fake shit) one slice. Apply 3/16" of Hallam's all natural PB. It contains no salt, so lightly apply a pinch of sea salt.

The other slice is for your favorite jam, jelly or preserve. I lean toward apricot or raspberry. Toast if you like, but toast it camp style, clean hot skillet with no oil or butter.

A 'perfect' sandwich here in the Ozarks is the old Bacon/Lettuce/TommyToe

For me bread must be toasted.

The condiment is Mayo.

The lettuce is crisp.

The cheese.... pick anything, customize, I lean toward sharp cheddar.

The bacon, just cook your fav til it's just that special crispness.

And the part that makes it perfect, you now go out to the garden and get a big and juicy FRESH tomato off the vine. Slice to just the correct thickness, and gobble up the sucker.

Paz

All of that sounds great. Sharp Cheddar is my favorite cheese, in my opinion it's even better smoked. I think I am going to go and try that "Cheese" snack thingy you mentioned. I'll let you know how I like it.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

There are a few kinds of bread I've used to soak up grease, after two years of trying to perfect the "traditional English breakfas," of which fried bread is a main component. French bread (baguettes) works pretty well because the hard crust supports the spongy interior. This is especially important once fried fat enters the equation. If you're willing to get a little messy, chalah loaf is probably the most incredible bread to fry. Sometimes you can find "English Bread" at the store, but, ironically, French bread works better.

Where do you get these varieties of bread? I'm quite a fan of bakery products and I would like to try some of this. Do I need to find a local bakery? Anyway, the baguette sounds perfect for frying. What size pieces do you use for servings?