I need to reformat my MBP. I need help with the disk image.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey friends,

My original install DVD is at home so I had a friend send me the 4.28GIG image file so I can burn it to a DVD and install. The image file expands to 4.8 gigs and I only have a 4.7 gig single layer drive. I have multiple macs and firewire cables and such. Any solutions?

Can I install from the image file?

Can I remove some files from the install?

THANKS!

Ryan Flynn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tag me backtag me back Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrFlynn

Hey friends,

My original install DVD is at home so I had a friend send me the 4.28GIG image file so I can burn it to a DVD and install. The image file expands to 4.8 gigs and I only have a 4.7 gig single layer drive. I have multiple macs and firewire cables and such. Any solutions?

Can I install from the image file?

Can I remove some files from the install?

THANKS!

Ryan Flynn

If you have toast, try using the 'burn image' function, rather than expanding then burning the files.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    Here are instructions on how to install osx from a external firewire hard drive.

Quote:

How to install OS X from a Partition, External Firewire Drive, Second Computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode, or iPod

USB will not work

1. Mount your partition, external firewire drive, second computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode or iPod as a volume on your desktop and make sure you have at least three gigs of free space available.

2. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

3. In the left window of Disk Utility, select the volume mounted on your desktop that you want to install from.

4. Click Restore tab (upper right of window).

5. Drag the icon (left window) of the volume you want to restore from [Example: Tiger.iso or Tiger.dmg] to the Source field. (.iso & .dmg are both disk image files)

6. Drag the icon (left window) of your partition, external firewire drive, second computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode or iPod to the Destination field. You have a choice to checkmark "Erase Destination" so that it will erase the volume first, before restoring the installer onto that volume. If you do not wish to erase the volume and you want to keep your existing files on that volume, do not checkmark the "Erase Destination" option. Erasing a volume results in a clean volume. Erase Destination is NOT necessary, just be sure you have at least three gigs of free space available on that volume first or errors will result.

7. Click the Restore button (bottom right).

8. Go to Finder and rename your "Destination Volume" to: Mac OS X Install DVD

9. Go to the Apple in the upper left corner of the menu bar at the top. Scroll down to System Preferences. In the fourth row down select Startup Disk. Select the Mac OS X Install DVD.

10. Reboot.

• Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    The image should work. I've copied the DVD installer onto a single-sided disc before. Does it say the file is too big when you try to burn it or did you just mount it? SVCDs for example are often 800MB+ but they fit onto 700MB CDs.

Remember if you burn it, you need to change the image owner to system first or it won't boot.