Apple introduces the new U2 iPod

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    What's the story with the "Auto-Sync" technology?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

If anything, this can be seen as an indication that Apple hasn't given up on "special edition" iPods. Maybe we'll see more of them in the future.

You mean to say: "If anything, this can be seen as an indication that Apple hasn't given up on "U2 special edition" iPods."

They've never made any other kind.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

You mean to say: "If anything, this can be seen as an indication that Apple hasn't given up on "U2 special edition" iPods."

They've never made any other kind.

The Harry Potter iPod to name but one
  • Reply 24 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The new U2 iPod features Apple's patent-pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads digital music, podcasts, photos, audiobooks, home movies, music videos and popular television shows onto the iPod and keeps them up-to-date whenever the iPod is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using USB 2.0. The new U2 iPod features up to 14 hours of battery life for music playback.

They cant patent that can they? auto syncing is done the same way on PDAs, cell phones and alike -- email clients do largly yhe same thing; they cant patent a method of data delivery that already is in wide use just because their use involves a differant payload, media in stead of email or contacts...
  • Reply 25 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The difference is that the syncing happens as soon as the iPod is plugged in. I have to initiate syncs for my cell phone, PDA, etc.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

The Harry Potter iPod to name but one

That wasn't a different design it was just an engraving and a discount on an audio book.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    ipickle06ipickle06 Posts: 14member
    i like the colors but i dont like U2. is there away you can "erase" the signatures and the U2 logo?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPickle06

is there away you can "erase" the signatures and the U2 logo?

No, but you can put a case on it to never see the back.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPickle06

i like the colors but i dont like U2. is there away you can "erase" the signatures and the U2 logo?

Belt Sander
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Bzzzt.

Beck.

Madonna.

Tony Hawk.

And there was one from No Doubt too, but I can't find any image.

Alright, now show the fronts of those ipods.

Any ipod can be engraved, the U2 one is the only one with a different front.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Alright, now show the fronts of those ipods.

Any ipod can be engraved, the U2 one is the only one with a different front.

Any iPod can be engraved which you seem to imply a third party because Apple usually only offers plain text as an engraving option, but you seem to also dismiss third party options for coloring the front.

Is the red click wheel the only thing that makes it a special edition, not that Apple had marketed other iPod "band" editions as special editions? There was at least one other special edition where a menu background was added as well as a logo on the back, that was marketed in Japan only, the NERV iPod, there may have been others. So, Apple did market other special editions despite your assertions, whether the front was colored differently for the others is irrelevant.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    swimmerswimmer Posts: 20member
    I agree with your_ad_here they shouldve made it red with black click wheel.