can you change the color of the taskbar??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
having never owned a mac myself, i'm unfamilar with the little things like this.

my question is: can you change the color of the taskbar? (the white bar that resides at the top of the screen that is white w/ the blue apple symbol on the left) ?

it would be really sweet if i could change it to be black so it would match a dark background as well as the black macbook itself.

anyone know of a program that can do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You mean the menu bar. It's possible, using themes, with apps such as ShapeShifter.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    untsiguntsig Posts: 47member
    thanks!

in windows its called the taskbar. i guess its called the menu bar by mac

• Reply 3 of 6
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Actually on windows it is also the menu bar. but on windows, every application window has its own menu bar.

The task bar equivalent is the dock - i.e. where all the "tasks" (applications) reside.

welcome to the Mac
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ok. so, the item i'm asking about (white area on top w/ blue symbol on the left) can be changed to a different color correct?? (just trying to be doubly-sure that i'm understanding you all)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Well, the menu bar and the Windows task bar have two things in common. The Apple menu (as of OS X, at least) shares some commands with the Windows Start menu, and the status area (for status items and menu extras) is similar in behaviour and purpose to the Windows systray / notification area.

But the main purpose of the task bar is to list what Windows calls "tasks", which can be either applications or individual windows. Similarly, the Dock's main purpose is to list, among other things, running and frequently-accessed applications.

Anyways, yes, you can change the menu bar's color, styling and all, but it requires a third-party software and a theme.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    awesome. that's what i was lookin for.

thanks!!!