How to run WMV files on Intel Macs - Solution

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I can't find the article that showed me this but it was quite clever indeed. The sum of it is...

Download flip4mac:

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

Obviously you cannot install this on your Intel machine as is, it will say it isn't supported.

Go to Applications and find Installer, right click select Get Info and check the box for run in Rosetta.

Run the flip4mac package and install on your system.

Now, anytime you want to run a wmv file, go to Applications and change Quicktime to run in Rosetta mode.

That's it.

A note, there is a closed beta going on with flip4mac for universal binary but until it is released this solution works fine.

Don't forget to change Installer back by unchecking the Rosetta box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Unfortunately, this not unexpectedly causes QTP to slow down to a crawl for playing things like H.264, so it really isn't much of a solution.

Fortunately, Flip4Mac is already in Universal Binary private beta.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    I tried your proposed solution but unfortunately it did not work on wmv-streams.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    toniotonio Posts: 3member
    You might be able to catch it before they close the registration. To get in on the closed beta testing for the UB version of Flip4Mac go here: http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_beta_register.htm

If it's closed by the time you get there, send an email to [email protected] and ask if you can get it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

I can't find the article that showed me this but it was quite clever indeed. The sum of it is...

Download flip4mac:

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

Obviously you cannot install this on your Intel machine as is, it will say it isn't supported.

Download and install the Popwire WMV-9 Component Quicktime codec. It is a free download.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Flip4Mac player is free as well and does infinitely more than PW. It supports WM7, 8, 9, 9 Advanced, ISO MPEG 4 V1.0 & V1.1, Microsoft MPEG 4 V2 & V2 along with multiple audio codecs. And not only that, but it's a web plugin for AV playback.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Download and install the Popwire WMV-9 Component Quicktime codec. It is a free download.

• Reply 6 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonio

Flip4Mac player is free as well and does infinitely more than PW. It supports WM7, 8, 9, 9 Advanced, ISO MPEG 4 V1.0 & V1.1, Microsoft MPEG 4 V2 & V2 along with multiple audio codecs. And not only that, but it's a web plugin for AV playback.

I have had Flip4Mac installed on my PowerMacs for several months. The OP has an Intel-based Mac. Popwire WMV-9 Component is UB. Flip4Mac is not.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yeah, everyone is waiting for it to be UB, however, there is a beta being circulated by Telestream. Several posts that I read says it works really well. If you're interested, send an email to [email protected] and ask if you can join the beta test group.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I have had Flip4Mac installed on my PowerMacs for several months. The OP has an Intel-based Mac. Popwire WMV-9 Component is UB. Flip4Mac is not.

• Reply 8 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yep, I have the beta. Works perfectly fine.