Apple's Mac Pro to sport twin engines

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Come this August, Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs is expected to stand before an antsy crowd of the most loyal Mac OS X developers and announce that in just over a year, the company has successfully transitioned its entire Macintosh line from PowerPC to Intel processors.

The 2006 Apple World Wide Developers Conference will run from August 7th through the 11th -- about two months later than usual. For the most part, Apple will use the annual developer gathering to lay out its plans for Leopard, the next incarnation of the Mac OS operating system, which is poised to do battle with rival Microsoft Corp's Windows Vista.

But when it comes to battling for headlines, Leopard may have its work cut out for it -- sources maintain that around precisely the same time, Mr. Jobs will also take the wraps off Apple's most powerfully stunning Macintosh to date: the Mac Pro.

Aside from speculation that the Intel-based Power Mac successor would conform to Intel Corp's "Core" architecture, there have been few reports about the machine. Until recently, Apple's professional line of desktop computers stood at the pinnacle of its product portfolio, showcasing both the Mac's beauty and its brawn.

In speaking with AppleInsider, people familiar with the Cupertino-based company's plans have affirmed that the Mac Pro will indeed employ chips from Intel's forthcoming architecture. However, it's still unclear precisely which processors these will be. That's because, just like the Power Mac G5 Quad, these people say Apple and Intel somehow plan to wedge two high-end dual-core chips into some Mac Pros.

The systems have been under development since last October, when Apple passed off the motherboard design to Intel's Oregon division. With its resources already stretched thin on the transition of four other Macs, Apple turned to the world's largest chipmaker for expertise in developing its first Intel board for professional users.

Still, many questions remain -- like exactly how Apple will fashion the Pro machines aesthetically.

According to reports, the first motherboard prototypes to come out of Intel Oregon were noticeably compact, suggesting the Mac Pro would represent a radical departure from the obtrusive enclosures of Power Mac G5. However, well-placed sources have since said that plans to size-down the Mac Pro's board were almost immediately scrapped.

The last prototypes Mac Pro motherboards to be observed by sources were approximately "the same size" as the board in Apple's aluminum G5s, they said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 215
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    So basically Apple will use 2 Woodcrest chips (Core 2 Xeon) in the MacPro? Thats fine with me, looks like it is gonna be a bloody good chip!
  • Reply 2 of 215
    *looks up 'antsy' in dictionary*

* . . . *
  • Reply 3 of 215
    I do hope they upgrade the case. The G5 is a pain to carry (more due to sharp edges on the handle than weight). It's also sad to have such a large professional case with only two drive bays, saving blocking fans with drives in unofficial locations. Give me back the four drive bays of the G4 and I'll be happy.
  • Reply 4 of 215
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    I plan on replacing my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 (2004 model) with a new Mac Pro when they are announced/released.

Anyone interested in my soon to be old system?
  • Reply 5 of 215
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

I plan on replacing my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 (2004 model) with a new Mac Pro when they are announced/released.

Anyone interested in my soon to be old system?

My brother has one of those too. The ultimate machine when it was released ... but according to benchmarks at Hardmac, it could be outclassed by our meagre Mac mini once we put a Merom in it!

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-06-08/#5586

Interesting times ideed. Bring on Woodcrest and a new Ive design for the Mac Pro!
  • Reply 6 of 215
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I guess we now know why it's called AI. Who's your sources Ive?
  • Reply 7 of 215
    Come on Adobe!! Not buying anything until I gets mys creative suites
  • Reply 8 of 215
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Interesting... AI cut out the part about the Core 2 Extreme, so maybe there is some confusion there.
  • Reply 9 of 215
    This does raise the question of how the Adobe software and Rosetta will perform with, say, 4 cores and 8GB of RAM. While obviously not as fast as a G5 tower, the better they do the more downward pressure Apple will feel on its remaining G5 inventory.

Hah if Apple had a Creative Suite alternative to release with these machines they'd eat Adobe's lunch, for a few months anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 215
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Core 2 Extreme is Conroe, not woodcrest.
  • Reply 11 of 215
    I dare say that at those speeds in a dual dual-core configuration, adobe apps will run tolerably, if not just as fast as mid-range G5 under Rosetta. Well at least creative suite...After Effects is not happy in Rosetta at all. This is a very painful wait for all involved, really sucks if you need build a creative team with workstations right now, what the heck do you buy? Just can't justify buying 6 G5s now, but there's also work to be done.

Apple would be doing it's creative pro customers a huge favor and probably make some money buy offering current G5 inventory on a 1 year lease or have a buy back promotion so that we can get some work done with a powerPC machine but not break the bank with a move to the clearly superior Intel machines in a year when Adobe has their products up to speed.
  • Reply 12 of 215
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    The most logical lineup, in my mind, is one that mimics what Apple is doing now. I just hope (if somewhat in futility) that Apple will have lower prices on the base models. Here's the lineup that I envision right now:

2.67 GHz Core 2 Duo

1 GB DDR2 RAM

250 GB hard drive

16X DL Superdrive

256 MB GeForce 7600 video

2.93 GHz Core 2 Extreme

2 GB DDR2 RAM

400 GB hard drive

16X DL Superdrive

256 MB GeForce 7600 video

Dual 3 GHz Xeon 5160 (AKA Woodcrest x 2)

2 GB DDR2 RAM

400 GB hard drive

16X DL Superdrive

256 MB GeForce 7900 GT video

I also think Apple will offer Blu-Ray drives as options, but only as options - they're several hundred dollars and probably not very useful to anyone but the most demanding pros.
  • Reply 13 of 215
    malckwanmalckwan Posts: 11member
    "around precisely the same time"

oxymoronic.
  • Reply 14 of 215
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Core 2 Extreme is Conroe, not woodcrest.

*Sigh*

I know, but last night when AI published this article and then removed it, it referenced the Core 2 Extreme as what would be used in the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 215
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

*Sigh*

I know, but last night when AI published this article and then removed it, it referenced the Core 2 Extreme as what would be used in the Mac Pro.

Yeah it seems AI is the source of confusion over this. For the right info I'm going to Anand.
  • Reply 16 of 215
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I would love to replace my old 2002 G4 tower (it runs very well, never had a problem) next year around the time of the CS 3's debut. However the G5 case (which I would assume will return with a new Intel chips inside) is too large for most pro-sumers including myself. I understand that there are guys out there that always need one more expansion slot no matter how many Apple builds in but for a lot of us these behemoths look like they are from another era.
  • Reply 17 of 215
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The case shouldn't be more than 19inches tall. Apple needs to commission Ive to design a case that can have the handles pop off and a rack ears added.

Apple should be back to less radical ways of keeping things cool and that should mean smaller towers.
  • Reply 18 of 215
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    If they are going to make good pro level machines, with many ram slots, dual x16 slots for SLI video cards, quadro or geforce, dual sockets, enough room for more than 1 optical drive, and a few hard drives.... trust me, it cant get much smaller.

Have you seen Dells new precision workstation 690? that thing makes the G5 case look small.
  • Reply 19 of 215
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Look, the Apple towers are not selling.

The MacBooks and the Minis are dual core for a fraction of the cost.

I'd bite for quad woodcrest at the middle and high end. Anything else would be
  • Reply 20 of 215
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuretheory9

Apple would be doing it's creative pro customers a huge favor and probably make some money buy offering current G5 inventory on a 1 year lease or have a buy back promotion so that we can get some work done with a powerPC machine but not break the bank with a move to the clearly superior Intel machines in a year when Adobe has their products up to speed.

That's a very logical proposal.