MacBook Pro and waking up from sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey, I bought a macbook pro in march, and it always has problems waking up from its sleeping. I move the mouse around, push the button, hit the power button, but sometimes it wont wake up, sometimes itll just take really long. what the hell? is there a solution out there? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blascock

Hey, I bought a macbook pro in march, and it always has problems waking up from its sleeping. I move the mouse around, push the button, hit the power button, but sometimes it wont wake up, sometimes itll just take really long. what the hell? is there a solution out there? thanks

I am having the same issue with my MacBook.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Some things for both of you to consider:

1. Third-party applications being naughty? Try removing all apps that you think could be causing a problem, and see if problems persist. If everything then works O.K., add one application at a time back into your system and see when the problem re-occurs.

2. Any peripherals connected? Try disconnecting them to see if the problem persists.

3. Do the problems persist in a brand-new user account? If not, something (probably a pref or cache file) is hosed in your normal account.

4. Have you installed any extra RAM? Try removing the extra RAM and see if problems persist.

5. Do the problems persist if you boot into "safe mode" (reboot and hold down shift upon hearing chime, keep held down until Finer loads)? If not, look at which processes (in activity monitor) and kernel extensions (launch terminal and type "kextstat", without the quotes, and hit return) are running in normal mode vs. safe mode in order to track down the problem.

6. If 1 - 5 don't help, re-install the OS and don't install anything else. If problems still persist, you have a hardware problem and should take the machine back to Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I started to research this issue on my MacBook. When I finally get my MacBook awoken, I noticed that my battery item in my menu bar has an "X" over it.

I connected my power adapter and it still had the "X" over it Only after I started to play with the battery did the icon change to the proper percentage display. It appears that my battery somehow slightly disconnects itself, causing the battery icon to have an "X" over it.

I would also think that if my battery become slighly disconnected, then it is possible than my MacBook would go into super sleep mode. The computer would not come back on until the battery reconnects itself.

Just a thought.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blascock

Went to the Apple store today and talked to the genius. My MacBook needs to be repaired. Specifically, the contact connector where the battery connects to needs to be replaced. You might want to have your MacBook Pro check out as well.

Dave