Cinema Displays?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys this week I plan on ordering my black macbook, loaded with 2 gig of ram and a 120 gb hd I've been wanting one since they came out and decided to finally replace my ibook g4. I will primarily use it for design and video editing work, and I am aware that cs2 isn't US at the moment and that the macbook has integrated graphics, but my mother has the white base model at the moment and i played around with both photoshop and final cut and both completed both simple and more complex tasks faster than my imac G5, so I don't see the integrated graphics or non-Universal CS2 a problem at the moment. However, my main question is this: I also want to purchase a 20" cinema display to use with my macbook at home, but I have heard that soon they may be updated with brighetr screens, higher resolutions, isight cameras, etc. If this is true does anyone know when apple are likely to upgrade them? I'd be pretty pissed if I bought one and they updated them in August or something! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    It's your money and you can spend it as you wish. However, I don't see the point of replacing your iBook. I understand p!ssing contests, but I work with my computers. My home machine is an original 2.0 GHz dual G5 which I bought in the Summer of 2003. It still works great. If I wanted a Cinema Display, I would keep the iBook G4, buy a 23" Cinema Display, upgrade RAM and HD in my laptop, and save the rest of my money. In the bargain, I would ensure that all of my old software still worked as expected. When I graduated, I would get a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I'd get a Dell 24"....can get 2 of them for price of 23" from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

It's your money and you can spend it as you wish. However, I don't see the point of replacing your iBook. I understand p!ssing contests, but I work with my computers. My home machine is an original 2.0 GHz dual G5 which I bought in the Summer of 2003. It still works great. If I wanted a Cinema Display, I would keep the iBook G4, buy a 23" Cinema Display, upgrade RAM and HD in my laptop, and save the rest of my money. In the bargain, I would ensure that all of my old software still worked as expected. When I graduated, I would get a MacBook Pro.

How can you not see the benefits of replacing a G4-powered iBook with a Core Duo-powered MacBook??!?

And saying that your dual G5 still works great is, well, great? But I doubt that the G4 iBook can compare in workload abilities to a dual G5?

Comparing an iBook with a dual G5??!? Uh, there is no comparison?

But if you feel that they are comprable, then maybe you could just trade your G5 with the original poster's iBook??!?

Didn't think so?

I would say upping the RAM & swapping HDDs in the iBook is a WASTE of money that could go towards a new MacBook, and ALL of the specs will then be greatly improved?

As for the pissing contest arguement, well, the original poster never mentioned wanting one for the bragging rights? He actually mentioned that he used his mother's MacBook, and it performed well in both simple & complex tasks in PS & FCP? Sounds like he is also working with his computer?
  • Reply 4 of 40
    maxx66maxx66 Posts: 41member
    Mr. Me - My iBook is actually dead and I'm not 100% sure whats wrong with it, but I think the hard drive has died, and I was having problems with the CD drive before it did go, so I'm betting I'll be looking at a fair bit for upgrades & repairs + I'm in love with the macbooks as well.

BicC - I could... But I hate Dell products. Everyone I know who has ever owned anything made by Dell had problems with it (even monitors), + they aren't as bright as the apple ones I don't think? And I know I could probably invest in some other makes too, but I really prefer the Apple displays, purely because I know exactly what I'm getting really (and I'm just a mac addict at heart)

Edit: Just noticed MacRonin posted just before me! And yes, I am working with my computers. I do a lot of graphic design work and film editing, currently I'm getting some DVD's burned of a film me and my friends made for charity at our school which was a huge success, and thats all thanks to FCP really.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys!
  • Reply 5 of 40
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Look again at the Dells - from everything that is said about them on the net, when it comes to computers, they make pieces of tat, but their high-end monitors are something else. They are brighter, more adjustable, include analog inputs as well as the DVI, and are much, much cheaper.

David
  • Reply 6 of 40
    I checked out the dell site David, not sure if I'm just being an idiot but the 24" there was around £800? Not a whole lot cheaper than the 23" apple display... But like I said, maybe I'm just being an idiot They're also a bit thicker but they do seem like a good alternative. But still, I prefer the apple ones due to design :/ God I'm hard to please
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

How can you not see the benefits of replacing a G4-powered iBook with a Core Duo-powered MacBook??!?

Presumeably, there are benefits to upgrading to each new model. However, there are also economic costs to doing so. The question is "Do the benefits outweigh the cost?" In his most recent post, maxx66 explains that his old machine is broken. This new information certainly justifies the purchase of a new computer.

Quote:

And saying that your dual G5 still works great is, well, great? But I doubt that the G4 iBook can compare in workload abilities to a dual G5?

Comparing an iBook with a dual G5??!? Uh, there is no comparison?

But if you feel that they are comprable, then maybe you could just trade your G5 with the original poster's iBook??!?

I neither said nor did I imply that an iBook G4 is comparable to a dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 desktop. In mentioning the time when I bought my machine, I was referring to my computer's age. My G5 is older than the OP's iBook. Unlike his computer, however, mine still works.

Quote:

As for the pissing contest arguement, well, ....

I see that I have hit a nerve.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Look again at the Dells - from everything that is said about them on the net, when it comes to computers, they make pieces of tat, but their high-end monitors are something else. They are brighter, more adjustable, include analog inputs as well as the DVI, and are much, much cheaper.

David

I had my Dell hooked up next to my 23" Apple (old style albeit), Dell was nice...
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Here in the UK, Dell sells the 24" for £824.85 and Apple sells the 23" for £949.00.

If however you are in higher education, you can go to the Apple HE store (accessible from your Uni network) and find it for quite a bit cheaper than the Dell monitor.

As to your question, I believe rumours of new cinema displays coming at WWDC with the new PowerMacs. My plan is to wait until next January to upgrade my 12" PB to a MacBook and grab the highest cinema display it can handle at the same time.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I see what you mean about the pricing. However, I believe that if you search hard, you can find significant savings coupons for Dells site. Also, look on eBay.co.uk - I'm interested in getting one myself, and there is a Powerseller who regularly does the 24" (either the last version or current version - very little difference), with a 0 dead pixel guarantee, for just under 600 pounds.

David
  • Reply 11 of 40
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I looked at the Dell 24" Ultrasharp before. It was the one using older LCD panel (the owner told me). The viewing angle is horrible.

I don't know if the new one still has the same problem or not.

By the way. Samsung's latest 24" (the one with detachable speakers) seems pretty good. And it's cheaper than Apple's 23" by couple of hundreds.

I bought the Apple anyway because I just want the screen to match my G5. That's it. I know it's stupid, but.....
  • Reply 12 of 40
    kratoskratos Posts: 21member
    Maxx66 - What do you plan on doing with your "dead" iBook now?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I'll probably pay half and half with my gf for the repairs and give it to her since her dell is completely screwed and she likes my mac
  • Reply 14 of 40
    jacksyijacksyi Posts: 12member
    I wish Apple:

1. Lowered the prices

2. Build in an integrated iSight camera

3. Make them all 1080p HD capable.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I have no experience of the larger Dell displays but the 6x 19" (4:3) aspect Dell LCDs I have on my desk at work are terrible. I can see the [ctrl-alt-del] dialogue box all the time on one of the screens - becuase it's left logged out about 50% of the time. These screens stain so badly and when scrolling through Excel where I have coloured cells - it literally takes minutes for the imprint to disappear.

I turn them off in the small hours - but I'm not sure my colleagues who sit on the desk for the rest of the 24/7/356 do - perhaps that's the problem(?)

mrtotes
  • Reply 16 of 40
    thanks for that info, I definitely won't be buying a dell monitor I'm definitely goping to get an apple display, played with one again yesterday and loved it, the only problem is when to buy it.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Though I've never owned either an Apple or Dell display, from what I hear, it would be a great shame if the bargain basement bundled LCDs that Dell sell put someone off the high end ones which use similar, if not better panels than the Apple ones.

David
  • Reply 18 of 40
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JackSYi

I wish Apple:

1. Lowered the prices

2. Build in an integrated iSight camera

3. Make them all 1080p HD capable.

Especially 1. How the fuck can Apple sell these things at the current price when monitors like the 24" Dell sell for almost 400$ less!

I can understand Apple Taxes on the computer but *on the monitor*? They've got to be kidding me...I bet they've lost a gazillion monitor customers with that boneheaded move.

And I dunno if it's still like that but I remember a time when you couldn't get AppleCare on the monitor if it wasn't purchased with a Mac. So not only did you have to pay for more than one year warranty (which is bloody fuckin' important for an LCD monitor it seems) but in some situations, you couldn't even get more than one year warranty.

The 24" Dell monitor (2407FPW), while not so pretty looking, is almost a zillion times *better* spec-wise than the 23" Cinema Display and is 850 $CAN with a 3 year warranty while the Cinema Display is 1500 $CAN...a difference of hojillions of dollars fer fuck's sake. Ok...I'm exagerating with the zillion times and hojillions $ more expensive but you can see that it's close to twice more expensive for close to twice suckier.

Anyone buying an Apple monitor today is being raped where the sun don't shine.

2407FPW:

6ms grey-to-grey

1000:1 contrast ratio

450cd/m^2

for 850 canadian.

23" Cinema HD Display:

14ms grey-togrey

270cd/m^2

400:1 contrast ratio

...1500 canadian.

Raped I tells ya. People buying Apple monitor are nutso freaks that only care about the look (or haven't shopped around *AT ALL*.)

edit: ok...seems like you can purchase AppleCare on a display now...bumping the price to 1630 $CAN...lemme think here, 850 for better specs? or 1630 for shittier specs? 850 for better specs? or 1630 for shittier specs? Wow...such a tough choice, I'm gonna have to think about it a bit more.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    apple cinema display pricing is getting Ridiculous as the each day passes by ... not reflecting the current market trend/price

i bought my 20" for SGD1488 when dell 20" was SGD 1200, i paid 200 preimum for the Apple Logo , that was Oct 2005

after 9 months now

Dell 20" - 799

Apple 20" - 1488 almost double the price, for this price one could get 24" and 200 less

time to price the cinema display at market trend/price (unless Apple decided to sell cinema display for PowerMac Pro market only) ...
  • Reply 20 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I don't buy monitors on specs. I have two eyes and thus I like to actually look at the monitor and know I'm liking what I see. With that in mind I'm more into the size mated with a good screen.

I'd love to see.

1. iSight in every model.

2. HDCP support for HD playback

3. USB/FW hub built in with headphone jack as well.

4. Composite inputs on some models.

Sizes

20"- $499 (1680x1050)

24"- $1099(1920x1200)

27"- $1499(1920x1200)

30"- $1999(2560x1600)

This covers the whole gamut

Low cost high quality 20" widescreen for sub $500

24" for general computing and HD work.

27" for those who need larger workspace but standard rez

30" for HiRez work