Apple entry into HDTV/DVR?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK, I know that this topic has been beaten around like a dead horse. But, I was thinking about actual TV products from Apple.

First off, Apple would introduce the Mac TV. Slotting between the iMac and the Mac Pro, the Mac TV would be a midlevel headless desktop with an integrated analog/HD tuner (NTSC/ATSC/QAM for North America and Japan, PAL/DVB for everywhere else). Power would come from a single Core 2 Duo (Conroe) processor and Intel VIIV technology, while the TV interface would be Front Row 2 (to be explained later). A memory card reader and a built-in iPod dock would round out the systems, which will range from $1199 to $1999.

For existing Macs, Apple will come out with the Apple TV Tuner, a small FireWire 400 ATSC (US)/DVB (Europe) tuner about the size of an iPod shuffle. The ports on the tuner would simply be an antenna jack and an HDMI port. It would work exclusively with Intel-based Macs and also have Front Row 2. The Apple TV Tuner would cost arond $149.

And finally, Front Row 2 would round out the solution. Front Row 2 would allow for DVR recording (even into iPod size), watching TV, and DVD burning, all using the same Front Row interface.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iNtel iNside

[B]

First off, Apple would introduce the Mac TV. Slotting between the iMac and the Mac Pro, the Mac TV would be a midlevel headless desktop with an integrated analog/HD tuner (NTSC/ATSC/QAM for North America and Japan, PAL/DVB for everywhere else). Power would come from a single Core 2 Duo (Conroe) processor and Intel VIIV technology, while the TV interface would be Front Row 2 (to be explained later). A memory card reader and a built-in iPod dock would round out the systems, which will range from $1199 to $1999.

This is the MacTV:

VIIV is a brand, not a technology.

If I ever see a 500-in-1 memory card reader shipping in a Mac, I'm going to shoot myself.

Quote:

For existing Macs, Apple will come out with the Apple TV Tuner, a small FireWire 400 ATSC (US)/DVB (Europe) tuner about the size of an iPod shuffle. The ports on the tuner would simply be an antenna jack and an HDMI port. It would work exclusively with Intel-based Macs and also have Front Row 2. The Apple TV Tuner would cost arond $149.

Ever see a HDTV tuner the size of an iPod shuffle? Ever try to put something like a HDMI port AND a F-type coaxial connector on something that small?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Damnit, Eugene was a few seconds faster. And yes, for fuck's sake, no memory card reader, please.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kratoskratos Posts: 21member
    If Mac does come out with a TV, how big might it be? I would totally hold off on purchasing one right now if they plan on coming out with one in the near future.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Okay, I'll be the asshole?

Where's rolo??!?

I am sure he's got something to say on this subject?!

;^p
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

This is the MacTV:

Ever see a HDTV tuner the size of an iPod shuffle? Ever try to put something like a HDMI port AND a F-type coaxial connector on something that small?

Just because Apple used it before doesn't mean that they can't resurrect the name.

Also, there are a ton of USB HDTV tuners for peecees in Europe, Asia, and such about the size of an iPod shuffle, if not smaller.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    thakkthakk Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iNtel iNside

Just because Apple used it before doesn't mean that they can't resurrect the name.

Also, there are a ton of USB HDTV tuners for peecees in Europe, Asia, and such about the size of an iPod shuffle, if not smaller.

Apple has reused trademarks before. Superdrive used to refer to HD floppy disk drives -- now it refers to their DVD-R, CD-RW drive.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thakk

Apple has reused trademarks before. Superdrive used to refer to HD floppy disk drives -- now it refers to their DVD-R, CD-RW drive.

is that the SONY super floppy your talking about?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

is that the SONY super floppy your talking about?

Sony produced it, IIRC, but Apple branded it the SuperDrive.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    its funny that someone should mention Rolo... the whole Mac inside a Plasma thing was a cool idea... someone else may beat Apple to it.