MacBook for College: Wait or Buy?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I'm stuck with a sticky situation. I'm going to buy a new black MacBook (2 GHz, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD) for when I begin college in August. My question is, should I go ahead and buy it now, or wait to see if Apple whips out any revisions between now and then? I'm not sure what they can do, but you never know with Apple. Your thoughts? Also, any ideas of what future revisions might be?

Thanks,

-PepeDLux

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    If you don't need it until August, I'd wait.

If you need it before August, go ahead and buy.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    If you need it now, buy it now... nobody knows if the MacBook will get any upgrades by August.

But if you can wait, then wait, I personally think the MacBook will be upgraded sometime before the holiday buying season but that could be any time from Sept. to Nov. of this year

Remember that Apple will update the IG that the Macbook has to the newer version which will be released sometime from the middle of August to the middle of Sept., plus give it a speed bump.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    wait for leopard mebbe?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Well, Leopard probably won't be out until at least December or next January.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    If you dont need it at all until August and college...Id definitely WAIT.

Chances are no other revisions will come out before then. But you never know, there might even be a price drop. You can never tell with Apple.

Its not too long to wait either. Two months. Will go by pretty fast.

The get a free Nano deal is until September too, so you wont lose out on that by waiting either.

Yeah...I say wait. Youve got the PERFECT excuse to wait...you dont need it until you go away to college.

For me its a no brainer. Sure, you could have alot of fun in the next couple of months with it. But what IF...just what IF some other upgrade or bug fix or price drop happens. Youll be KICKING yourself, because you really didnt HAVE to buy it early...and then itd be too late.

WAIT.

Now having said that. Do whatever makes YOU happy. :-)

• Reply 6 of 11
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I voted for "buy now", but what I meant to do was vote for wait. (I had clicked the buy now, but then I thought about it and accidently clicked the vote button.) I would wait. I love my MacBook, I have essentially what you are purchasing, but I don't really have much use for it because I'm not in school. As long as you don't need it now, there is a possiblilty you would get more out of the computer if you waited. As in the previously mentioned benefits.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I voted buy now, especially if this is your first Mac. You can take the summer to learn the ins and outs of the OS, get your file structure arranged, etc. It'll save you from having to do all that when you're starting school and begin worrying about other things.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I would wait till August. You never know what Apple have up their sleeve.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    untsiguntsig Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I voted buy now, especially if this is your first Mac. You can take the summer to learn the ins and outs of the OS, get your file structure arranged, etc. It'll save you from having to do all that when you're starting school and begin worrying about other things.

thats a good point. although i voted for wait.

im in the same boat. im gonna buy a macbook before i go back to college in the fall and for me this one will be my first Mac of my own.

but my sister just got a new iMac this weekend so im learning on it. (and its friggin SWEEET)

but like he said, if this is your first mac then buy now so you can learn cause your first semester at college can sometimes overwhelm you (unless you take a mere 13 hrs like i did lol)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I had the same deal with my computer. I ended up buying it now for a few reasons. 1) It's great to play with and I will get a lot of use out of it this summer. 2) I didn't see any major upgrades happening anytime soon (but who knows, I might kick myself for saying that later) 3) It was my first mac and getting to know the ins and outs has helped. I'm glad I wasn't doing it while at school adjusting to a completely different environment (I'll be a freshman).

Overall, I didn't need the computer, and I wanted it a lot. I didn't see any difference between my buying it now and buying it in august so I did it. I'm glad I did, I love my mac, but the situation could be different for you.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Just to play devils advocate...

The learning curve isnt SO great to warrant buying NOW if you didnt really need to.

I mean come on. You are going to college. You should be able to figure out how to use your computer in a day or two.

I still say wait, if you dont need it until college.

:-)