Finder rant!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Please take the following in the right context: I'm pissed. I still love Apple computers though!

FINDER

It sucks. It must be killed. It must vanish. It isn't Apple. Possibly made by an trainee at Apple.

1. How on Earth can I move files to e.g the parent folder?

I can't drag the files to an icon representing "go back one step in the hierarchy".

So that sucks. If I'm in the folder documents\\a\\b\\c\\d\\e\\f, I will need to drag the files to "documents" and then follow the whole way through a\\b\\c\\d\\e\\f.

On Windows I simply do CTRL-X, go to the parent folder and then CTRL-V.

Please don't get me started on "how inconsistent and dangerous it is", because it isn't. That's nonsense.

Adding breadcrumb navigation like on PathFinder would solve this issue, but it still would be great to be able to cut/paste.

2. Why Finder opens 'classic-look' folders when I am using spring-folders? You know, windows without the top buttons (like when you click on the icon on the right-top of a Window). Now THATS inconsistent.

3. Why is 'create new folder' missing in the file requester dialogue (e.g selecting a location for a file to save), and why can't I simply enter a path I want to go to, and why is the requester ridiculously small?

Bah.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

On Windows I simply do CTRL-X, go to the parent folder and then CTRL-V.

On Mac OS X, you simply do Cmd-3, hold Cmd and drag the file to the parent folder.

Quote:

Please don't get me started on "how inconsistent and dangerous it is", because it isn't.

Yes, yes it is.

Quote:

2. Why Finder opens 'classic-look' folders when I am using spring-folders?

Doesn't for me.

Quote:

3. Why is 'create new folder' missing in the file requester dialogue (e.g selecting a location for a file to save),

It isn't. I just tried; it's right there. Bottom left.

Quote:

and why can't I simply enter a path I want to go to,

You can. Start typing with "/" or "~".

Quote:

and why is the requester ridiculously small?

Did you miss the resize knob or something? Or the fact that it expands when you click, you know, the expand button?
  • Reply 2 of 99
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Looks like dacloo doesn't know how to use the Finder at all. Good job.
  • Reply 3 of 99
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    There are many legitimate problems with the finder, dacloo, you've managed to miss every single one.
  • Reply 4 of 99
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It doesn't impress me to hear "how it's done on Windows", either. This ain't Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

[B]It doesn't impress me to hear "how it's done on Windows", either. This ain't Windows.

Yeah. I'm tired of hearing "why can't {random thing} in OS X be more like Windows, where it's done like {random behaviour}?" If you want things more like Windows, use Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 99
    only thing left to say is that Apple is rumoured to have redesigned the finder for leopard.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

only thing left to say is that Apple is rumoured to have redesigned the finder for leopard.

Apart inconsistencies in UI and behavior (well documented long ago in many places), there is something that the Finder needs badly, especially now that the mainstream machines are dual-core: appropriate multithreading. Unfortunately there is no precise info on that for the upcoming Leopard. I am afraid the Finder will remain as is now, hanging completely while waiting some networking response or whatever \ .
  • Reply 8 of 99
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Apart inconsistencies in UI and behavior (well documented long ago in many places), there is something that the Finder needs badly, especially now that the mainstream machines are dual-core: appropriate multithreading. Unfortunately there is no precise info on that for the upcoming Leopard. I am afraid the Finder will remain as is now, hanging completely while waiting some networking response or whatever \ .

Seriously...it doesn't matter if Steve intros a Quad Octo-core Xeon Extreme++ running at 10 Petahertz...if the Finder has to wait for a frickin' network response, it'll hang with the SBOD doing 100 hojillion RPMs.
  • Reply 9 of 99
    Moving things into their parent folders is a major bitch though. This should be in the contextual menu, just control-click and Move To Parent Folder.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Moving things into their parent folders is a major bitch though. This should be in the contextual menu, just control-click and Move To Parent Folder.

Oh come on... how often do you *really* have to do that one *specific* action? So much that it needs it's *own command*?

If you're going to go that route, we really need a Move to Grandparent, you know? Otherwise that's a whole *two* steps you'd have to make!

Column view makes it trivial, as it does many other things. Each view has strengths and weaknesses. Use them for their strengths when appropriate. Flipping between them is so easy, it's silly not to use them all.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    I use column view, OR hold down command when opening the folder, so that I can drag from the new finder window to the original finder window which contains the parent folder.

The best thing to do though, is to use the folder structure that mac os gives you: applications folder for applications, documents folder for documents, etc etc that way you can always just drag into the sidebar.. Using the existing folder structure really makes life easier.
  • Reply 12 of 99
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

I use column view, OR hold down command when opening the folder, so that I can drag from the new finder window to the original finder window which contains the parent folder.

i agree that the finder design isn't really made so that there would be a command for that specific action. rather, using existing finder commands, you can do it just as easily, plus the existing finder folder structure allows for a decent amount of power with only a few features.

i guess, i'm just making this up as i go.

and there is no need to be mean to the original poster. he is frustrated, and that shouldn't be dismissed.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i agree that the finder design isn't really made so that there would be a command for that specific action. rather, using existing finder commands, you can do it just as easily, plus the existing finder folder structure allows for a decent amount of power with only a few features.

i guess, i'm just making this up as i go.

and there is no need to be mean to the original poster. he is frustrated, and that shouldn't be dismissed.

was I being mean to him then?
  • Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

He's frustrated, but also apparently not willing to learn.
  • Reply 15 of 99
    As someone who is pretty accustomed to the Cut/Paste method of moving files, I have found a plug-in for the Finder that works beautifully...

FileCutter

http://homepage.mac.com/gweston/download.html
  • Reply 16 of 99
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

was I being mean to him then?

no, no, not you, you were respectful and polite. i was referring to earlier posts there. my quote from you only related to the first paragraph from my post.
  • Reply 17 of 99
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Nobody's being mean to anyone...what dacloo did is commonly referred to as a "post-and-run" and is shunned on pretty much all message boards.

He obviously doesn't care about answers or solutions to his problems. We're all victims of a troll here...move along.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Flames deleted - JL

Off-topic flame deleted - JL

Kickaha: I am constantly moving files to parent folders. I am an interaction/web designer and code needs to moved a lot to keep a decent structure and foundation. In this case, Mr. Chucker wants me to do some unhandy procedure.

Michael_Moriarty: Wonderful. Thanks. I am going to try it now!

Kim sap Sol: What do you mean by that? On "all boards"? Appleinsider is pretty much the only Mac-related website I visit, and I *DO* enter the discussion. So please, stop saying stuff out of the blue.

Flame deleted - JL
  • Reply 19 of 99
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Alright, I'll feed the troll...

Explain to me, please, what workflow you have that requires you to constantly be moving files to parent folders for organization. I have a guess as to what's going on, and a fix for you, but I'd like to hear your explanation.
  • Reply 20 of 99
    "Why the heck do you have to do that with your files" is an apologist approach, Kickaha.